Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Welcome Mat (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f63/)
-   -   cable hook-up (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f63/cable-hook-up-52488.html)

pamela j 12-29-2013 09:07 AM

cable hook-up

Hi I am new to this forum. I have a 2012 coachmen cattalina. Satelite will not work through cable outlet on outside of trailer. It does work if hooked directly to satellite receiver. Any suggestions?

kc8lvy 12-29-2013 10:21 AM

Welcome to the forum!! Do your connections inside aux? This is where I hook mine at.

wrvond 12-29-2013 10:25 AM

I don't have satellite, but, it should simply be a matter of turning the amplifier power switch off.
When the amplifier power switch is on, the antenna function is enabled, allowing only the signal from the roof antenna to get to the television. When it is off (button up green light off), it allows the signal from the cable (or in your case, satellite) to reach the television.

pamela j 12-29-2013 10:36 AM

I tried that did not work thanks anyway

caper 12-29-2013 11:37 AM

My trailer has a hookup for cable and sat. on the outside. If I use the cable connection the sat. will not work (wrong coax).

pamela j 12-29-2013 11:53 AM

Thanks mine only has one connection in back and one connection in front neither one says anything or works

RKR 12-29-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caper (Post 517356)
My trailer has a hookup for cable and sat. on the outside. If I use the cable connection the sat. will not work (wrong coax).

If you only have one connection in the front and one in the back is sounds like maybe you're just wired for cable. The satellite will not work with cable wire (coax).
Is you're trailer wired for both satellite and cable ?

wrvond 12-29-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKR (Post 517373)
If you only have one connection in the front and one in the back is sounds like maybe you're just wired for cable. The satellite will not work with cable wire (coax).
Is you're trailer wired for both satellite and cable ?

The Catalina's are wired for antenna and cable only.
Having no experience with satellite, I didn't know if it would work on cable coax or not. Apparently the answer is, it will not.
Sorry, Pamela; it looks like you are going to have to mod your camper, or run a separate cable through a window.
Good luck.

pamela j 12-29-2013 12:22 PM

Thanks everyone it sounds like I have my answer. I must be wired for cable only

wrvond 12-29-2013 09:29 PM

Pamela,
I just finished reading an article on e-how, where they say that satellite TV can use the same cable as CATV.
They say RG-6 is preferable, but that RG-59 can work, just not as well. In either case, you should still get a picture.

My first question is, have you ever used the cable input before? Do you know that it works?
If you've never used it before, then you are going to have to open up the connector box to:
1. ensure the cable coax is connected at the box
2. test for continuity on the cable coax