Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f99/)
-   -   AT&T or Verizon (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f99/at-and-t-or-verizon-53293.html)

Tailwind 01-13-2014 12:26 PM

AT&T or Verizon

I know, just what we need, another subject to debate. Just wanted to know if anybody who has had experience with both carriers if there is a significant difference in the coverage while on the road and in campgrounds of either carrier. I currently have Verizon, so I know what coverage I can get with them but it will cost me $250 x 2 to get the new phones DW and I want with them vs free with AT&T. So, will AT&T give me similar coverage while camping or should I bite the $500 bullet and stay with Verizon.
So pop some corn and let's :signhavefun:.

Blaster 84 01-13-2014 12:32 PM

I hear bad things about AT&T customer service. Why change phones? What's wrong with the ones you have?

dcheatwood 01-13-2014 12:33 PM

Yes. Was with att for years, even before they were att. Got so tired of their mess i switched to Verizon in 2010. Even changed home phone & internet. Now they've gotten crazy and outrageous with prices. Signal is ok. Its the changing contract agreement and leaving you no option but to pay more or take less service. I'll move again as soon as I fund a deal.

dcheatwood 01-13-2014 12:35 PM

Att claims more nationwide coverage with fewer dead zones with 3 G or less. Verizon claims more 4 G area that att. You can see their maps online.

Platokidd 01-13-2014 12:48 PM

I had att and sprint.
I like big red myself best

Tailwind 01-13-2014 12:59 PM

Blaster 84, our current phones were the cheaply made free ones and are about dead. I have a family plan with 5 phones and 2 of my kids have had to revert back to their old non-smart phones because they quit working. The other 3 are having more problems than I care to get into.:crying:

ependydad 01-13-2014 01:05 PM

I've price shopped all of the carriers- for the phones, plans and devices that we have, they all come out approximately to awash.

I've had AT&T since before they were AT&T, too. We got them when Verizon didn't work well where we lived at the time (we had it and had a few too many dropped calls + wife finally switched us).

The few times I've had fringe service, I had the same approximate amount of service as friends + family who have Verizon.

I'm not convinced one is better than the other.

retiredcamper47 01-13-2014 01:31 PM

I have had AT&T for many years. I get decent coverage (bars signal) most of the time while camping. There have been a few areas in Ohio that I cannot get a signal. When I hear a phone ring while I have no signal, I ask who their carrier is. The usual answer is Verizon.

Bob

Oaklevel 01-14-2014 05:14 AM

We have tried most of the carriers but for our area in SW Virginia & the general mid Atlantic region Verizon has the best coverage. (Just wish we had cell service at our house). :roflblack: We have to stand on our head against a certain wall to send a text. But no other carrier can get us that even.

We have the cell phones for phone calls not so much for internet etc. I am technology challenged & still had a dumb phone. The DW got her first smart phone (an apple something) when we renewed with Verizon last fall it was $1 the son got a ? but I do not remember the cost but it did not seem to bad. We paid as much for the dumb phones as we did the smart ones. We keep 4 phones on our plan and are used mostly from SC, NC, VA AND TN. Our home area has the worst coverage area (all plans). There are a lot of dead zones with all plans here. The next county over has almost no cell coverage.

:signhavefun:

ChooChooMan74 01-14-2014 05:28 AM

Never had AT&T. Had Verizon, switch to T-Mo when they had the original Sidekick, so I could communicate with my Deaf friends. Then, switched back to Vzw when T-mo left me high and dry in upstate NY with no coverage at all.