Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Tent Campers and Pop Ups (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Rockwood pups and Weight Distribution Hitches (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f9/rockwood-pups-and-weight-distribution-hitches-54203.html)

dakranii 02-03-2014 10:40 AM

Rockwood pups and Weight Distribution Hitches

Hello,

Background
Considering buying a 2008 Rockwood 2318 and towing it with a Dodge Caravan. The Caravan has a 4.0L engine, tow package, and I've had a Class III hitch install.

The biggest concern I have is the height of the hitch. The Caravan's rear sits low, so the hitch sits less than a foot off the ground unloaded. We put a 1600 pound Jayco on to test the sag and it lowered another few inches, giving me maybe 5-6" of ground clearance.

So I'm fairly sure I need a WDH to balance out the sag of the van. I've also considered, and will assess, whether I need airbags.

Question
My question is, I've come across conflicting information on whether or not Rockwood PUPS can handle a WDH. Apparently they do/did come with a frame that a WDH would damage. I can't find direct information on whether this is true or not, and whether the 2008s are post/pre the change that makes them WDH compatible.

Thanks for any info/suggestions you might have!

Happy Vibe 02-03-2014 11:15 AM

One way you can tell, put is not 100% rule , is if it has a C channel frame it will most likely not be compatable with a WDH.
Are you 100% sure your caravan has the tow package. The tow package has a hitch so I'm not sure why you had to add one, or did you just upgrade?

itat 02-03-2014 12:06 PM

I would think you could use a WDH with that pup. If you're pulling it with a Caravan, you might want to consider getting some air bags to help the rear suspension first. That's what we did with our 2005 Toyota Sienna when we had our Coleman pup. With the Air Lift 1000 air bags pumped to 35 psi we didn't need the WDH.

Talonman 02-03-2014 12:23 PM

I use one on my Flagstaff HW27SC, in fact I went all in and did a Reese DC setup and it tows awesome.

The WDH may not solve you problem as the back will not come up to the factory height, if you went down 6 you will only come up 3 maybe and the shank may hit the ground depending on the style. You may need airbags and the WDH, the WDH is not to level out your sag it is to help load the front of the vehicle so even with airbags back up to correct height the front is still light.

bikendan 02-03-2014 01:28 PM

Reese makes the 350 Mini WDH specifically for popups and other smaller single axle trailers:

Reese 350 Mini-Lite Weight Distribution System w Sway Control for Light-Duty, A-Frame Trailers Reese Weight Distribution RP66024

dakranii 02-03-2014 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Vibe (Post 536386)
One way you can tell, put is not 100% rule , is if it has a C channel frame it will most likely not be compatable with a WDH.
Are you 100% sure your caravan has the tow package. The tow package has a hitch so I'm not sure why you had to add one, or did you just upgrade?

Not 100% sure, but 99% sure. We bought the van used and it had the original window sticker in it showing the tow package as part of the plan and the wiring for a trailer included in a MOPAR parts bag.

As for the C-channel, the Rockwood I'm looking at is unfortunately 3+ hours away on craigslist. I suppose I need to ask the seller.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itat (Post 536401)
I would think you could use a WDH with that pup. If you're pulling it with a Caravan, you might want to consider getting some air bags to help the rear suspension first. That's what we did with our 2005 Toyota Sienna when we had our Coleman pup. With the Air Lift 1000 air bags pumped to 35 psi we didn't need the WDH.

I was looking into airbags as an option. I thought I'd go with WDH first considering the pup could be pulling weight off the front axle and affect performance. But now I'm wondering if I should do airbags first...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonman
I use one on my Flagstaff HW27SC, in fact I went all in and did a Reese DC setup and it tows awesome.

The WDH may not solve you problem as the back will not come up to the factory height, if you went down 6 you will only come up 3 maybe and the shank may hit the ground depending on the style. You may need airbags and the WDH, the WDH is not to level out your sag it is to help load the front of the vehicle so even with airbags back up to correct height the front is still light.

What's a Reese DC setup? I'm not familiar with the abbreviation.

I think even if the TV came up 3 inches I'd be more comfortable with the tow. I'm looking at getting an 8" riser with the WDH I'm looking at, so that should be sufficient to protect the PUP at least. But you're right, I might need both. My plan was to go with the WDH for sure and airbags if needed after assessing it with the WDH on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikendan
Reese makes the 350 Mini WDH specifically for popups and other smaller single axle trailers

Thanks, I'll take a look at that one. I am fairly set on the Andersen WDH. I really like the product and the reviews seem to backup the company's claims. It might not put the same pressure on the PUP's frame that a traditional round/square bar WDH would? Not sure.

itat 02-03-2014 06:35 PM

A local Dodge dealer should be able to confirm whether or not you have the towing package based on your VIN. You might be able get that info in your Owners manual.

There are likely some members here who have the Andersen hitch but by far the most popular are the Reese and Equal-i-zer brands The Reese DC is a "dual cam" setup with 2 anti-sway bars.

bikendan 02-03-2014 07:35 PM

IMHO, the Equalizer and Reese DC are overkill for a popup.

Talonman 02-03-2014 07:54 PM

Not all pop ups are created equal, mine is huge and heavy lol

That said IMO you can't have enough safety and I wanted my wife to feel safe and the car we were towing with was 350 tongue without and 500 with.

Man it tows nice but yes for most popups it may not be needed.

Ida Ratherbe Camping 02-03-2014 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We used to pull our old Coleman Pup with our 07 Nissan Quest. Had the air lift 1000 bags and a auto leveler. worked great with what we had. It was a 97 Coleman Cheyenne with the front storage. Was kinda squirrely without the bags. especially down hill, even with all the weight on the front of camper.