Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Blue Ridge (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f200/)
-   -   2014 Blue Ridge 3715BH (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f200/2014-blue-ridge-3715bh-54393.html)

Narboza 02-07-2014 11:52 PM

2014 Blue Ridge 3715BH

We will soon be getting this new 5er for our vacationing. It was a show unit at this year's Tampa RV Super Show. The build quality seems very good and the dealer is in the process of their pre-delivery work, as well as fixing the initial items I found during two informal walkthroughs.

I will get to those lists later in this thread, but for now I have two questions concerning the installed equipment.

1. The trailer comes with a Dometic 915 model power awning. The Dometic website describes that model as having a “Polar White weathershield [that] protects the awning during travel.” I did not see a weathershield when I retracted the awning. I asked for the weathershield to be installed. Are they normally included or omitted by FR on new units?

2. One of the standard features of all 2014 Blue Ridge fifth wheels from the FR website and the sales brochure is an ‘“Easy Diagnose” LED fuse indicator’ on the DC power panel. The panel manufacturer’s website (Progressive Dynamics, Inc.) shows their 18-position panel as having an optional LED blown fuse indicator. The installed panel on the trailer has space for an LED by each fuse with its associated dropping resistor, so it appears that the trailer was built with the wrong DC fuse panel. I asked the dealer to install the correct DC power panel. Does this sound like a case of using older parts despite what their advertising says? What's there is functional, but not correct in my opinion.

Anyone have experience with such questions?

BigJohnD 02-08-2014 07:21 PM

1) If you don't see the metal wrap / weather shield, you have to change at least the fabric I believe. I may be wrong. Never seen one added, but the way they look, you would have to get another fabric with the shield included. As far as whether they're normally installed, all depends on the brand. Ours has it, but it's not a make or break for us. We've had it both ways, and both last fine.
2) On the easy diagnose fuse indicator, probably what you said. Used the parts available. There's that small print in the brochure that says they can change things without warning, and that the brochure doesn't always depict what you'll get. Just said in a more lawyer like way. Sometimes we've gotten more than we bargained for, sometimes we didn't get what was shown.

You might be out of pocket on some of this, but, you never know, dealer may take care of you to make you happy. If I wanted it bad enough, I'd get it whether they paid for it or I did. Some things, are better left alone. I've took stuff in to get switched out or fixed, and left in worse shape. Now, I do almost all of my own work due to too many bad experiences. Me, I'd leave the 12v panel alone. The awning, that's an easy fix.

Narboza 02-08-2014 09:18 PM

BigJohn: Thanks. My PDI was supposed to be yesterday, but a school urgency had me doing a child pickup instead. The dealer agreed to add slide toppers as a condition of sale and they supposedly arrive on Monday, so I rescheduled the PDI for next Friday. If there is nothing major wrong, I will pick it up then.

The sales guy did mention that it was "how they received it from the factory." My response was a simple "That does not make it right. Please fix them." I'll see in a week how well they do with these two and the rest of my list. I have not been able to check anything propane or hydraulic, nor everything electrical.

Courtesy of some forum checklists and some research of my own, I have assembled a pretty comprehensive PDI checklist both for acceptance as well as my own education since this is my first fifth wheel. I've rented Class C's before, but this is a whole new thing ... and exciting! The family can't wait to camp.

BigJohnD 02-08-2014 09:55 PM

Sounds like you're on the right track with the homework. I think yall will love the fifth wheel. 3 things we like the best about them: 1) Square footage for the $$ 2) Easiest to tow and hook up 3) Storage and usually plenty of it.

We've had everything from the popup to Class A, and now are back in a fifth wheel for space, money, and storage for full timing. This fifth wheel makes the 7th RV, so I guess we finally got a feel for what we like the best. We've ordered half of them and bought the other half off of the lot, and one thing we've learned is always expect the worse, hope for the best, and be pleasently surprised when everything works as it's supposed to. This has helped a little in me keeping my sanity. If you go into it expecting perfection, especially in modern RV times, you're in the wrong business.

If any issues arise, there are a LOT of knowledgeable people on this forum that can help. This forum can save you a trip to the dealer. If you don't have the forum mobile app, I'd recommend it. I've seen people on here fix things while camping thanks to the iPhone, pictures and the forum.

I hope everything gets fixed to your satisfaction and yall enjoy your new rig.

mike06081969 02-09-2014 05:19 PM

Congratulations on your new Blue Ridge, Narboza. I had a BR 3705BH, and I absolutely loved it once I got the kinks worked out of it. I think you've done yourself a huge favor taking the time to go over it well before you take delivery of it. That will save you time and trouble down the road. I sold mine and bought a cheaper fiver just because my employment future is uncertain, but it was the perfect camper for a family and I would still have it if not for that.

Narboza 02-09-2014 11:40 PM

As I mentioned above, this trailer was bought at the Tampa RV Super Show last month. We did not have a choice of ordering options, but the ones built into the trailer satisfied most of what we were looking for. Here is what it comes with in addition to the standard features.

Interior Options:

- 32” HD television, front bedroom
- Serta deluxe pillow top mattress (IPO premium innerspring mattress)
- Sofa with Hide-a-bed in bunkroom (IPO lower bunk and trundle bed)

Exterior Options:

- Dometic Quiet Cool 13.5 ducted A/C in bedroom (2nd AC for front bedroom)
- Heat pads for holding tanks
- Level Up, Lippert one-touch 6 point hydraulic auto-leveling system
- Bike hitch (not a rack as advertised, just a Class 2 hitch)

Dealer Installed Option:

- Slide out awning toppers

The second AC is mandatory for FL, and was a key DW requirement. I liked that it brought 50 amp service with its addition.

The automatic leveling will save lots of effort. I watched my brother go through his manual leveling process, then scissor jack stabilizing process. I hope this will save those 15-20 minutes each time we set up.

The toppers were negotiated as part of the show purchase. With five slides, toppers would have cost us over $2K using our rough math.

We likely will not need the heating pads. I would have liked the rear heat pump option, but the fake fireplace space heater should be a suitable substitute. I probably would have ordered the generator prep and the MOR/Ryde pin box. All in all, we are happy with the unit -- now to get it home.

BigJohnD 02-10-2014 12:14 AM

You'll probably want to add the MorRyde or TrailAir at some point, if you tow a lot. Major difference. On the generator prep, we've always opted NOT to have them on the towables since they eat up our space, and cargo carrying capacity. We've always opted for the 2 Honda 2000 inverter generators in parallel. We don't boondock, and seldom need them, but we have them just in case. Plus, I don't have to leave those with the trailer when we trade or sell.

Narboza 02-10-2014 10:38 AM

I cannot currently envision a case where we would need a generator, but I would use the generator prep power wiring to handle a possible future inverter setup. I am not sure there is any resale benefit to having the generator prep.

Narboza 02-10-2014 08:26 PM

Here is what I found so far and asked the dealer to correct. The major items are things they have to fix before I will accept the trailer. The minor items I prefer them to expend labor on instead of me. This came out of the emails to the dealer. An important thing for all dealer communications is to get them written down in some form.

Major
- Center coach hydraulic leak from belly pan forward of axles
- Belly pan repairs from hydraulic fluid damage
- GFI outlet under microwave cannot be reset

Minor
- Bunkroom couch pull strap detached
- Bunkroom duct rattle from AC
- Bunkroom front wallpaper bubble by door to main room
- Bunkroom wall paper damaged by left upper bunk slide frame
- Bedroom window screen bent
- Bedroom French doors not attached
- Dinette table scratch
- Loose underbody seam tape above RR wheel
- Remove masking tape ID label on pin box
- Awning support rear lower attach point can be flexed due to the lower screws being incompletely driven in
- Loose interior trim above bedroom closets (adhesive failure)
- Docking storage compartment hard to latch
- Washer box not fastened on right side (right side of bedroom closet)

Missing/Wrong
- Wrong DC fuse panel is installed ("Easy Diagnose" LED blown fuse indicators are missing)
- Awning weather shield missing

Narboza 02-15-2014 10:11 PM

It's Home!

Picked up the trailer today. :thumbsup: The dealer did not finish cleaning it. :( They fixed the major stuff, but half of the minor list was ignored. :mad: I found the toilet paper holders in a fire extinguisher box in the refrigerator when I got home. Is the mounting location that personal that they could not be installed before delivery?

They were silent about the blown fuse LEDs, but we all learned something about the Dometic awnings. After the whole parts and service departments had a discussion, we examined the awning and identified what the weather shield really was. From the underside, you see the progressive color of the awning. From the top, it is black.

What threw us initially, was that the weather shield on our awning is solid black, not white the way the Dometic website describes it. The weather shield is a layer of vinyl on the upper surface of the fabric. When the awning is retracted, the weather shield becomes the last outer wrap and a half so that it acts as a waterproof layer for the stowed awning. I am not sure how it will last in the Florida sun, but I guess we will find out.

Now to let the mods begin! Since this is our first RV, we have to stock from scratch. Monday we go to Ikea.