Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Rockwood (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f34/)
-   -   Bikes on ladder? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f34/bikes-on-ladder-55295.html)

missing_link 02-26-2014 09:48 PM

Bikes on ladder?

My new Windjammer has a sticker on the rear bumper stating that any added accessories will void the warranty. I was hoping to carry bikes back there.

I see quite a few people with bikes hanging from the ladder.

Anybody know how Forest River feels about that?

I would love to avoid bikes inside the camper

Linc

TURBS 02-26-2014 09:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by missing_link (Post 550592)
My new Windjammer has a sticker on the rear bumper stating that any added accessories will void the warranty. I was hoping to carry bikes back there.

I see quite a few people with bikes hanging from the ladder.

Anybody know how Forest River feels about that?

I would love to avoid bikes inside the camper

Linc

Ive been up and down my ladder and I would not hang bikes off it.
I do in fact strap my empty blue toye to it, but the bottom of it rests on the factory fold down rack.

TURBS

Think spring!
The last man standing also has a sharpie ;)

Brother Les 02-26-2014 10:13 PM

Seen it done on some campers going down the road. Flopping and swinging around. Always thought it was a little foolish. I will never 'hang' something from my latter while traveling.

SYE 02-26-2014 10:31 PM

I would not as those ladders are rated less that I weigh, now you start hanging stiff off of then it weakens the mountings of them because something is always bouncing on them. Put a frame hitch on it and call it a day.

missing_link 02-27-2014 07:21 AM

Can't do a frame hitch. It will void my frame warranty

Linc

TURBS 02-27-2014 07:31 AM

Truck bed?
Tv front hitch mount?

TURBS

Think spring!

Cajun Po-Boy 02-27-2014 08:05 AM

Though most rear ladders are rated for 250-300lbs, don't think they designed them for continuos load support (bike hanging)...therefore the anchor points into the camper can become weak and eventually separate.

TURBS 02-27-2014 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy (Post 550755)
Though most rear ladders are rated for 250-300lbs, don't think they designed them for continuos load support (bike hanging)...therefore the anchor points into the camper can become weak and eventually separate.

I have to tighten my mounts up once a year before I make the trek skyward to clean and inspect my roof.

TURBS

Think spring!

LittlePM 02-27-2014 09:24 AM

I always see RVs with a regular ladder strapped to the RV ladder, so am I to take it that you should not do that?

ependydad 02-27-2014 09:33 AM

For bikes, your options are:
1) Inside the camper - I put mine on top of the dinette and a member here installed fork mounts under the dinette seats so that the bikes are secured. I know you said that you didn't want to dot his.

2) On top of the tow vehicle - this can be a challenge depending on your height and the tow vehicle's height

3) On a front-hitch on the tow vehicle - people love this option that do it; no it doesn't block your lights; your tow vehicle doesn't run much hotter

4) A rear bike rack - optioned with the camper, this is the best option. An aftermarket hitch is hotly contested if it is a good idea or not. And yes, frame warranties are voided by it.

5) If you have a fifth wheel, a custom pin box mount - this is good

6) If towing with a SUV and a small trailer - I was able to put my bikes on the back of the Durango with a Thule Raceway (hanging from the back of the vehicle) and still able to make all but the sharpest of turns. I would remove the bikes before parking the camper, though.