Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Berkshire (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f112/)
-   -   Propane regulator leaking (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f112/propane-regulator-leaking-56415.html)

Jetjdm79 03-16-2014 07:49 PM

Propane regulator leaking

1 Attachment(s)
We just took delivery of a new 400BH-360. We did a fairly extensive walk through with the dealer and didn't notice a propane leak at the time of delivery. We drove home around 100 miles, parked the coach for the night, and noticed a propane smell in our building the next day. When I got my soap bottle out and sprayed it on the unions and regulator, the propane was actually coming from around the lip of the regulator. Attachment 47848 You can't see the soap bubbles from the picture but it's coming from the front regulator. My estimate is we lost about 1/4 of our tank of propane in 18 hours or so...

Do you folks think that the regulator just needs tightened or should the whole model 524AS be replaced? I really don't feel like taking it back to the dealer until our bunch list gets a little more extensive? I am thinking about just paying the deductible on our warranty and using the Coach Care that is 8 miles away??

Thanks for any input?

NV245 03-16-2014 08:08 PM

Too many reports recently of leaking regulators. Replace and keep receipts. Seems that there should be a recall.

Jetjdm79 03-16-2014 08:15 PM

Thanks!! Is there a OEM replacement that is a different brand that you have heard? Thanks again!

glevron 03-16-2014 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 47850 This is the one they replaced mine with!

glevron 03-16-2014 09:18 PM

Fairview GR-9959

VinceU 03-16-2014 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetjdm79
We just took delivery of a new 400BH-360. We did a fairly extensive walk through with the dealer and didn't notice a propane leak at the time of delivery. We drove home around 100 miles, parked the coach for the night, and noticed a propane smell in our building the next day. When I got my soap bottle out and sprayed it on the unions and regulator, the propane was actually coming from around the lip of the regulator. You can't see the soap bubbles from the picture but it's coming from the front regulator. My estimate is we lost about 1/4 of our tank of propane in 18 hours or so...

Do you folks think that the regulator just needs tightened or should the whole model 524AS be replaced? I really don't feel like taking it back to the dealer until our bunch list gets a little more extensive? I am thinking about just paying the deductible on our warranty and using the Coach Care that is 8 miles away??

Thanks for any input?

Thats often caused by a cracked diaphram, no repair possible. All these regs operate at same outpt pressure. Have it changed ASAP.

Jetjdm79 03-23-2014 02:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got her replaced! FR only had the same regulator so we elected to install one the dealer had in inventory. Seems to be working good so far.

Thanks for everyone's comments and recommendations!Attachment 48258

ernest917 03-23-2014 11:23 PM

Always a great idea to carry an extra one because if you lose propane you lose 4 appliances in your rig.... Simple job to replace if you also have thread tape....

62_inrightlane 03-24-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernest917 (Post 570357)
Always a great idea to carry an extra one because if you lose propane you lose 4 appliances in your rig.... Simple job to replace if you also have thread tape....

Good advise. I had the original on my coach go out after 1.5 years. Replaced it and put a spare regulator + yellow teflon tape for gas pipes in with my tools. The spare regulator is my $18 insurance policy.

Jetjdm79 03-24-2014 06:36 PM

I ordered my second one today. You're right... great and cheap insurance policy. Thanks for the recommendation!!