Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   A Frame Campers (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f221/)
-   -   Tire Blow Out...Damage Covered? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f221/tire-blow-out-damage-covered-58869.html)

KristenDavid208 04-24-2014 07:16 PM

Tire Blow Out...Damage Covered?

We had a major blow out of our driver-side tire. It shattered the (very cheap) particle board and shredded about six wires that were wrapped around the wheel well. It also bent the under carriage and ripped out the water tank.

Thankfully we are safe and after several hours were able to change to our spare.

Question: are any of these damages covered under a lifetime warranty? We realize the tires are not covered. But this damage looks extensive. Any thoughts?

Its a 2012 Flagstaff T12 RB

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

OldCoot 04-24-2014 07:19 PM

Lifetime warranty on what?

KristenDavid208 04-24-2014 07:21 PM

Anything? Frame, undercarriage, wiring.

OldCoot 04-24-2014 07:25 PM

Not being cynical, but they didn't fail, they were damaged by the tire. Your comprehensive insurance on the trailer should cover some of the cost less your deductible.

KristenDavid208 04-24-2014 07:29 PM

I know. :( just trying any angle possible. We are looking at thousands in repairs. No coverage on trailer (but we will going forward).

BamaBob 04-24-2014 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristenDavid208 (Post 595784)
I know. :( just trying any angle possible. We are looking at thousands in repairs. No coverage on trailer (but we will going forward).

Did you have insurance on your RV? What does your policy say...absolutely call your agent and see what they say!

youroo 04-24-2014 07:38 PM

Hunter Brass (original fans) and Moen Faucets are the only (Lifetime Warranty) I have ever dealt with for repair/replacement!:) Youroo!!:us-flag-waving:

KristenDavid208 04-24-2014 07:38 PM

Called agent. Car policy doesn't cover trailer. And we do not have trailer insurance. Lesson learned!

OldCoot 04-24-2014 07:40 PM

You might try getting the comprehensive from your tow vehicle to cover some of it, but I wouldn't hold my breathe. 50-50 hindsight, it is/was not a wise decision to hook to the trailer, let alone tow it on the highway without insurance. Unless you are very lucky, you should be prepared to bite the bullet.

DDC 04-24-2014 07:41 PM

I wondered about this before, when your trailer is connected to the TV the auto insurance should cover it is my thought because if you hit someone with the trailer while towing it's the auto insurance.

BamaBob 04-24-2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristenDavid208 (Post 595794)
Called agent. Car policy doesn't cover trailer. And we do not have trailer insurance. Lesson learned!

Owwww :( yeah look into Good Sam club RV insurance.

Here's a though and it may be a long shot, but ask your homeowners insurance agent if they cover anything

KristenDavid208 04-24-2014 07:43 PM

Agreed DDC. But AllState says no. Bummer.

OldCoot 04-24-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristenDavid208 (Post 595805)
Agreed DDC. But AllState says no. Bummer.

Big difference, your insurance would cover the damage you caused the other person, but would not cover the damage to your trailer.

Cajun Po-Boy 04-24-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldCoot (Post 595799)
You might try getting the comprehensive from your tow vehicle to cover some of it, but I wouldn't hold my breathe. 50-50 hindsight, it is/was not a wise decision to hook to the trailer, let alone tow it on the highway without insurance. Unless you are very lucky, you should be prepared to bite the bullet.

I didn't think DMV would let you register camper without having rv insurance???

Brother Les 04-24-2014 08:18 PM

Had a Cooper tire blow up on my truck and did 1,800 in damages. Cooper tire paid the bill after I filed a claim. Look at filing a claim against the tire manufacturer.

ko777 04-24-2014 09:01 PM

Sorry to hear about your road hazard incident, this made me check my coverage. I got the tire/rim warranty for 7 years, it only covers both TT and TV tire and rim replacement but not the damage the hazard did to the vehicles. My guess my trailer/car insurance will cover the damage it did, I wonder if the insurance would have cover the tire and rim too. I'll give my insurance a call tomorrow.

Was there any sign you had a tire problem like slow leak? Do you know what cause the blow out?

Pooneil 04-24-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy (Post 595815)
I didn't think DMV would let you register camper without having rv insurance???

Your auto policy cover your liability while driving. Trailer attached or not, it covers the losses to another party that are your fault. That is all states required.

Collision (damage to your vehicle from hitting something) and comprehensive ( non-collision damage such as hail, fire, flood, theft...) are separate and not mandated for anyone to drive, although your loan agreement probably requires that you carry coverage. RV insurance is basically the same as your auto comprehensive and collision.

BTW, at least in Texas, collision also covers your vehicle if the accident is someone else's fault. So there is no need to buy uninsured motorist coverage. It is redundant. When I pressed my agent on this as he was giving me the pitch for uninsured motorist, the only scenario he could say that isn't duplicated was personal injury to passenger in my car that was not paid for by the at-fault drivers insurance and deemed not to be my liability. Something so remote that it is practically unimaginable.

D-mo 04-25-2014 06:58 AM

We have always had coverage on all of our trailers. When you think of it, how many times have you had falling branches on your campsite, or at home. We were unlucky enough to have a tree branch at home drop onto the camper and crack the back bubble. it is in for replacement now ...
Funny thing tho .. the branch came from a tree on my property which is also covered under our homeowner insurance from Alstate ...100 bucks deductible. The trailer has comprehensive which has 300 bucks deductible.. you can guess what Alstate told me when i made the claim which policy this incident was covered under.

insurance is a very slippery slope ..

sorry to hear about the blowout ... hope things work out for you

d-mo

mlong 04-25-2014 07:32 AM

In PA, I found that TT insurance is not required by law. I find that hard to believe. I was required to buy insurance but, that is probably due to the fact that I financed the TT. The lien holder wants to be sure to get paid if it is in an accident.

I guess if you own the TT outright it is "take your chances" to travel without insurance. Either way you spend a lot of money up front or over time. Bad thing about most insurance, every claim raises your rate considerably.

I think I would stay with having insurance. TT are too expensive to repair. Especially with that type of damage.

KyDan 04-25-2014 07:43 AM

Quote:

Are you sure?

Try a 2nd opinion. My agent told me my truck insurance covers the
trailer while it's hitched and I'm moving.
When the trailer is parked it's covered by the trailer insurance.
IF it's parked at home and it's broken into or storm damaged it might
fall under homeowners.

Just be absolutely sure about what your agent told you. Try calling
your insurance company and bypass the agent for this question!
It's worth a shot.....
Good Luck.

mlong 04-25-2014 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyDan (Post 596085)
Are you sure?

Just be absolutely sure about what your agent told you. Try calling
your insurance company and bypass the agent for this question!
It's worth a shot.....
Good Luck.

X2

OldCoot 04-25-2014 07:50 AM

Keep in mind, the trailer was damaged by a blown tire. He didn't hit anything and has no insurance on the trailer. He's going to have to bite the bullet unless he can get the tire company to cover it which is very doubtful.

KyDan 04-25-2014 07:55 AM

I still say it's worth another phone call.

youroo 04-25-2014 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldCoot (Post 596100)
Keep in mind, the trailer was damaged by a blown tire. He didn't hit anything and has no insurance on the trailer. He's going to have to bite the bullet unless he can get the tire company to cover it which is very doubtful.

Maybe he can try to get it covered by (BO Care)? Tried everything else! :rolleyes: Youroo!!

dcheatwood 04-25-2014 08:12 AM

So sorry and so sad. I've been there 3 times in a year and a half with trail express tires. My progressive insurance agent was great. Came to the house and took pictures, took the blown tire, and wrote a check on the spot. But we had a separate policy on the Wildcat. Hope all is well soon

OldCoot 04-25-2014 08:14 AM

Last resort, might try signing up for ACA!:confused:

mlong 04-25-2014 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcheatwood (Post 596128)
So sorry and so sad. I've been there 3 times in a year and a half with trail express tires. My progressive insurance agent was great. Came to the house and took pictures, took the blown tire, and wrote a check on the spot.

Glad to hear Progressive was accommodating since that is who my policy is with.
Sorry to hear about all the tire problems.

Brother Les 04-25-2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldCoot (Post 596131)
Last resort, might try signing up for ACA!:confused:

"911.... your hold time will be 20 minutes......" :(

dcheatwood 04-25-2014 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldCoot (Post 596100)

Yep. If the tire on the TV blew and there was no comprehensive coverage, no payout there either. I had never considered pulling my $$$ RV off the dealers lot without insurance. Still carry full coverage on my 06 skeeter bass boat.

mlong 04-25-2014 08:20 AM

It sucks to pay the yearly rate for insurance and we all complain about it until that one incident....

bensinc 04-25-2014 09:27 AM

Comprehensive coverage on my new 2014 A122BH was only around $200/year through State Farm. I wouldn't pull it off the lot without it!

Orion 04-25-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bensinc (Post 596189)
Comprehensive coverage on my new 2014 A122BH was only around $200/year through State Farm. I wouldn't pull it off the lot without it!

Wow, I am paying a bit more than that with Bluesky, but I have very good coverage add-ons also IMO and this is a big trailer... I had read that State Farm would likely be high and so I didn't go to them.

$876 a year for:
  • Comprehensive $500 deduct
  • Collision $500 Deduct
  • Diminishing Deduct Comprehensive and Collision
  • Replacement/Purchase Price Coverage
  • Total Loss Deduct Buyback
  • Depreciation Buy Back
  • Personal Effects $3,192
  • Vacation Liability $10,000
  • Emergency Expense $750

bensinc 04-25-2014 09:40 AM

I think you have a lot more camper than I do!

R Whitlow 04-25-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

You can get a rider on your auto insurance that will cover any trailer that is behind your TV.
I chose to go with good sam insurance I think it was about 400 per year to cover a 07 42 ft 5er. When I had my blow out it covered 100% service charger for the tire changers and would have covered the fender skirt after the deductible. Choose not to cover the skirt because the skirt was cheaper than the deductible.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app

lbrjet 04-25-2014 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyDan (Post 596106)
I still say it's worth another phone call.

Your car insurance only covers damage to others caused by the trailer, not damage to the trailer.

Pooneil 04-25-2014 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlong (Post 596071)
In PA, I found that TT insurance is not required by law. I find that hard to believe.

The government does not and should not require us to insure our personal casualty loss on our own property. It is a personal financial choice.

KristenDavid208 04-25-2014 12:51 PM

Just called and our dealer is no longer in business. Anyone have the number for Forest River customer service?

rawlus 04-25-2014 01:24 PM

As others have said, unless you have specific coverage for the trailer, the only insurance coverage you have is the liability/collision insurance which pays for damage you cause to others regardless if what you are driving. It's not vehicle specific, it's about covering your liabilities.

If you want your investment (the camper) to be insured, you have to buy insurance for the investment. Otherwise, nobody would buy insurance right? You don't get coverage for free.

DDC 04-25-2014 01:29 PM

Even if you have insurance they almost always try to slither their way out of paying, you never actually know what coverage you have until you need it and by then it is too late, as a late friend use to say "they are in business to collect premiums to pay their legal department to fight the customer who is paying the premium".

Rebel702 04-25-2014 02:03 PM

Forest River, Inc.
Corporate Office
PO Box 3030
55740 County Road One
Elkhart, IN 46515-3030
Phone (574) 389-4600

If you signed up for the extended warranty w/ FR you might argue that their "cheap ***** tires" caused this and declare for warranty. Otherwise sue in civil court. My Trail Express tires blew and caused $2500 in damage, covered by my insurance. But I immediately pulled the remaining TExp tires which were just 1 year old. Many examples on the forum to support a court claim. Also, file incident report with National Safety Board.