Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f99/)
-   -   Are st tires on a 5th wheel better than Lt tires (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f99/are-st-tires-on-a-5th-wheel-better-than-lt-tires-60645.html)

ch6989 05-20-2014 08:39 AM

Are st tires on a 5th wheel better than Lt tires

Replacing brand new tires & wheels on my new Crusader going up from 15" to 16"(need to get more height in rear,will get 2 ")But my question is will I be better putting on ST tires or LT tires? Also if anyone out there needs a new set of 225/75R/15(Towmax) with alum. rims mine are for sale about 200 miles on them.

2014 Crusader 295rst
2006 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax LBZ

TURBS 05-20-2014 08:44 AM

I'd stick with st tires imo

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"

ependydad 05-20-2014 08:49 AM

This is one of those coke vs. pepsi debates.

The pro-ST side says ST tires because they're designed for the sheering forces of backing and turning the trailer on multi-axle trailers. They're special trailer tires and should be used for such. Their claim is that LT tires aren't designed for trailers and shouldn't be used for it.

The pro-LT side says LT tires are a better made/heavier tire and that ST tires are problematic. They give examples that some higher end/heavier campers use LT tires from the factory.

It's a debate that rages on and on and on...

--

For what its worth, ST tires for me.

cbvp 05-20-2014 08:53 AM

When one of the 15" china bombs let go on my Cherokee and took out the side along with the sewer pipes I replaced all of the tires and rims with 16" Michelen load range E -LT -XPS- RIBS

When Kenda Tire Co. recalled the tires on my Cardinal I also replaced them with XPS Ribs.

For what it's worth.
My 2013 Cedar Creek came with Good Year LT load range G tires.

C.B.

jevanb 05-20-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ependydad (Post 615294)
This is one of those coke vs. pepsi debates.

The pro-ST side says ST tires because they're designed for the sheering forces of backing and turning the trailer on multi-axle trailers.

since I only push it backwards when it gets put on my driveway or on a campsite, LT`s are for me because it is always going Forward for lots of miles

Cajun Po-Boy 05-20-2014 09:04 AM

Great question...IMO, like the benefits of ST tires as they are designed for the side forces placed on them by trailer maneuvering and can withstand the heavy weights of a camper when parked for months at a time.
Most LT tires are used on vehicles weighing under 8K lbs and constantly moving vs heavier rv's that spend a lot of stationary time holding up that weight.

Again, both are used...your pick on what team you want to play on! ,)

MillerTime 05-20-2014 01:01 PM

I'm going to LT's on everything.
I keep loosing "gator backs" off of ST tires or having knots show up, with broke bands (and I've had both happen when trailers were stationary). Lost 3 within the past 10 months on 2 different trailers while stationary, and some were less than 2 years old (and yes I check the dot date).
So when my STs go on given trailers, there getting replaced with LTs if they are available.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
:D

jevanb 05-20-2014 07:02 PM

I just got a 3 axle 23ft trailer 7k per, and my father inlaw who used it all summer hauling tires (18k) always put LT`s on it and he ran them since 99 and never had 1 single problem with the tires hauling all over MI and Ohio

ch6989 05-20-2014 10:28 PM

Ill have to admit the camper I traded on the crusader was a 2011 keystone Alpine 12,400 dry weight.39Ft. It had towmax tires on it & never had any problems with em.Only had it for 3 years tho.

Cajun Po-Boy 05-21-2014 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ch6989 (Post 615839)
Ill have to admit the camper I traded on the crusader was a 2011 keystone Alpine 12,400 dry weight.39Ft. It had towmax tires on it & never had any problems with em.Only had it for 3 years tho.

I've been eyeing those Tow max tires on the web...appear to be a good ST tire.