Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Tent Campers and Pop Ups (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Ordered HW296 today (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f9/ordered-hw296-today-65484.html)

vinmaker 07-29-2014 12:01 PM

Ordered HW296 today

Hello everyone,

The DW and I have pulled the trigger and ordered a HW296 to replace our HW256. I will miss it dearly as the two exterior front bins and the cassette toilet were so convenient. The new one lacks these two things. I will miss the storage. It was really nice.

The HW296 is larger but I think has less storage as they took away the front bins to allow for more living space.

No idea when I will be getting it as I hear (from this forum) that the factories are running full tilt due to the roaring economy and demand for RV's. The units are also backed up at the factory for lack of drivers to deliver them to dealers.

Can't wait to see it. I have been unable to look at one in person here in the Northeast. This is being bought totally blind. I will not see it until I pay for it and get the title. I hope it is nice. :)

Vin.

brewjaz 07-29-2014 12:16 PM

Congratulations on ordering your new pop-up! Hope everything works out for you. We had two pop-ups years ago. When we traded in the first I wondered how the heck I was going to deal with the new one "from scratch" as I had everything just the way I wanted it in the old one--but certain things were starting to nickel and dime us with repairs. It didn't take long--we adapted and found some things in the new one we liked even better! Hope you will too!

That was 20 yrs. ago when we sold our last pop-up. I JUST ordered an A-Frame (Rockwood A194HW) sight unseen (just like you) two weeks ago. Scary not being able to actually see what you order. I was told it would come to the dealer and be ready for me in 10-12 wks. I have also read about the backlog and lack of drivers so hope the 10-12 wks. still applies. I was hoping I'd get at least a weekend or two camping before winter sets in.

GalsofEscape 07-29-2014 12:22 PM

Congratulations.....:-) nice and big.

Just curious, I thought the 276 had a front storage bin, so why did you go with the 296?

w4drr 07-29-2014 12:32 PM

The '296 has storage under the sofa which is also accessible from outside.

vinmaker 07-29-2014 01:45 PM

The HW256 had that wonderful huge plastic bin that slid out (check the premier models). It could hold all the junky stuff like fire pokers, grills, hoses, etc. I loved that it was waterproof also.

The new HW units have inside storage under the bunks and couches but that seems like inside storage to me. Just do not like putting dirty, wet, sandy items in there. You do the best you can to wipe things off but can only do so much. Especially if your scrambling to pack up in a downpour.

kinma13 07-29-2014 02:35 PM

GalsofEscape no the 276 is almost the same as the 296 but about 2ft shorter. The 296 is very ice I would have loved to get one but my tv wouldnt tow it. Well it would have but wouold have pushed it.

Wiscampsin 07-29-2014 02:49 PM

Congrats on ordering your new HW296. As with all campers it's a game of give and take when it comes to storage space VS living space. The good thing is one driver can deliver several popups on a flatbed as opposed to one driver delivering one TT or 5th wheel. Hope your wait time goes quickly.

GalsofEscape 07-29-2014 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinma13 (Post 669285)
GalsofEscape no the 276 is almost the same as the 296 but about 2ft shorter. The 296 is very ice I would have loved to get one but my tv wouldnt tow it. Well it would have but wouold have pushed it.

thanks, for some reason I thought it had a slide out bin. yes the 296 is 2 feet longer and a whole lot heavier. that was the only reason we did not look at the 296.....I could barely tow the 277 we got :rolleyes:. (fixed that the next year too)......

kinma13 07-29-2014 05:24 PM

Sorry GalsofEscape disnt mean to sound rude.

Vinmaker congrats on the new pup. Youll love it. I grew up in a pup and when the dw and I looked at a highwall I wasnt sure id like it kinda large for backyard storage but it fits and I love mine.

W4NT3D 08-06-2014 07:39 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Congrats, I too will be getting a 296, and like you I was unable to look at the real thing. I'm on a business trip on the east coast, so I found a dealer that has one. I drove down and was able to see the camper. It's much better in person. Here are some pics I took that aren't online per say. Attachment 59810Attachment 59811Attachment 59812Attachment 59813