Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Propane Systems (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f224/)
-   -   Quick disconnect (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f224/quick-disconnect-66093.html)

dustym 08-08-2014 07:40 PM

Quick disconnect

Can I use the quick disconnect to add another LP tank to the system?
Thanks.

davidjb 08-08-2014 08:29 PM

Seeing as the outlet comes out of a line that is hooked up to your regulator I dont think it would be a good idea to try that, I think you will ruin your regulator back feeding it. or burn you trailer down.

dustym 08-09-2014 07:40 AM

Thanks for the info. So what is it good for? Cant run a small Bar B Que from it, and am not going to lug a big one around.

dan-nickie 08-09-2014 08:03 AM

I believe many use it to run a small BBQ.

Cajun Po-Boy 08-09-2014 08:13 AM

Most modify their small or large gas grills by removing the BBQ regulator so you can connect to the camper line...no more hauling mini or 20lb propane tanks :)

Sent via Cajun Po-Boy's Tech Gear

dustym 08-09-2014 10:19 AM

I just want to have extra capacity. I have extra bottles, so if I run out, I can just hook one of the others up. Our property is 18 miles from town, and have some other bottles that I would like to use up. They are too big to fit in the compartments on this new one and wiyth the last one.

Cypressloser 08-09-2014 11:03 AM

Tim, you sure can. This is what long term campers do. You can get the parts needed at propane suppliers when you explain to them what you're planing to do.

Edit: Be careful, since you're coming in after the regulator you must also install one between your tanks and the quick disconnect.

Cypressloser 08-09-2014 11:12 AM

On second thought, why not just extend the original hose that connects to your existing tank and avoid all the trouble.

dustym 08-09-2014 01:32 PM

Thats what Ill do then, just didnt know what parts are needed. I just thought with this new one, that it had the solution I was looking for.
Thanks everyone for the info.

gasman6674 08-11-2014 11:04 AM

The quick disconnect is after the regulator, so it is low pressure (11"wc/6.35oz) You could back feed your system from an external tank AS LONG AS THE EXTERNAL TANK HAS A LOW PRESSURE REGULATOR. It will not hurt the existing RV regulator. I would recommend you shut your RV tanks off and just pull from external tank leaving the original as a reserve. Please note DO NOT hook up a tank with out a regulator and DO NOT use a forklift/tow motor tank

On the BBQ question as long as the unit is set up for low pressure you can plug it right into your quick disconnect by removing its regulator and getting the correct mating connector. CW has a low pressure unit and I found a nice unit at Lowes that I am waiting on "end of season" clearance. If the grill uses disposable bottles you will need to get a kit if available from OEM or modify it yourself.

Hope this helps