Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Tires & Frames (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f219/)
-   -   Lippert axle with EZ-lube wheel bearings? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f219/lippert-axle-with-ez-lube-wheel-bearings-67274.html)

Great Horned Owl 08-27-2014 08:05 PM

Lippert axle with EZ-lube wheel bearings?

I have a 2011 Palomino Puma 253-FBS. Their brochure specifies EZ-Lube wheel bearings. This surprised me because they use so many Lippert parts. I am getting ready to lube the bearings, and am getting very confused.

The Puma manual is useless. It doesn't even mention wheel bearings or axles. It has a Lippert manual with several pages on axles, but no mention of EZ-lube. I was not aware that an EZ-lube wheel bearing was possible on a Lippert axle

I climbed underneath, and verified that it is indeed a Lippert axle. Next, i checked that there is indeed a grease zerk behind the rubber plug in the center of the hub.

Can anybody relieve my confusion?

Joel

stooge lover 08-27-2014 08:22 PM

go online should be same as dexter axle, same principle.look up ez lube on heading.

donanddona 09-16-2014 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I took off the center wheel cap to gat to the dust cover. Pumped a whole tube in to get a good steady flow of clean grease out.

wbdavey 09-16-2014 07:59 PM

Donanddonna - if you pumped a whole tube of grease into one hub, you've probably just covered your brakes with grease. I highly recommend checking the brakes! I believe Lippert has purchased Dexter so if you google "Dexter EZ Lube" you should get good info on this system.

Crusadernoob 09-16-2014 08:14 PM

That one's full!:eek:

mud yapster 09-16-2014 08:16 PM

Yep you better pull the tire and brake rotor and see where it all went. Bad idea to use more than a few pumps of grease.

Ford Idaho 09-16-2014 08:31 PM

I agree, Pull the drum, if you shot a whole tube in there you could have blown the seal and made a nasty mess.

stooge lover 09-19-2014 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbdavey (Post 702694)
Donanddonna - if you pumped a whole tube of grease into one hub, you've probably just covered your brakes with grease. I highly recommend checking the brakes! I believe Lippert has purchased Dexter so if you google "Dexter EZ Lube" you should get good info on this system.

yep second post

AquaMan 09-19-2014 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbdavey (Post 702694)

As you can see, the grease is coming out the front (as it should), and many will pump the hub full and keep pumping until much or all of the old grease has come out the front, thus ensuring that only good new grease is in the hub. It's also not uncommon to pump half a tube into a new axle hub before seeing any grease come out the front. The rear seal is designed to withstand this pressure, but does sometimes fail. It's when the grease doesn't come out the front that there's problems. Lippert did purchase a division of Dexter, but I believe it was only their frame division, and the Dexter axle division is still independent of LIppert.

martin73 09-19-2014 09:09 AM

Too much grease.

As a 30+ yr mech. Put plugs in those zirk fittings, you dont need all that grease.