Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Sunseeker (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   3170DS modifications (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f18/3170ds-modifications-69874.html)

scoto 10-12-2014 07:54 PM

3170DS modifications

Has anyone removed the bunks and if so what did you replace with? Recliner, desk, etc. Also thinking of replacing couch with love seat recliners. Has anyone made these modifications? Thanks

rdeiss 10-14-2014 06:55 PM

I haven't done any major modifications to our 3170 but maybe a office and/or laundry room??

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

ATVer 10-15-2014 09:06 AM

There is a desk/office option along with more wardrobe space still available for the 3170. People who have it on here seemed to love it. It was a no cost option when I was shopping in 2012 You may be able to have yours converted or at least find some photos or one in stock somewhere that you could look at for ideas.

bclemens 10-15-2014 02:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Factory desk option for ideas

scoto 10-16-2014 12:40 AM

Thank you.

Yorkranchgalnguy 10-30-2014 04:32 PM

Can this mod be done after removing bunks? Can we order cabinets and desks from FR? The only difference I see would be the double windows. Any weight differences etc? Thnx

bclemens 10-30-2014 04:51 PM

I doubt there is much in the way of weight difference. We don't build that in a kit, so you'd basically just be ordering raw materials. We could theoretically build those and ship them but I'm guessing it would be a lot cheaper to build them yourself to match.

ATVer 10-30-2014 10:49 PM

I always thought it would be neat to replace the bunks with a table and chairs to work as the dining area. Then replace the front dinette with a recliner which would open up the living area. If the recliner was a little shorter the chassis passenger seat would have room to move back and/or recline.

Yorkranchgalnguy 11-03-2014 04:23 PM

Finally unloading from Id/Wyo/Mt/Nv/Ca trip and thinking about bunk to desk mod.Seems like upper bunk deck could be removed and cut down and mounted on slide front wall as a fold-up desk-then a door put on back of slide for a tall cabinet broom vac closet!? My DH had recent shoulder surgery so won't be able to do any- even if I could talk him into messing with our new toy! I' m not experienced with mods wood work, so any advice would appreciated. Off topic, I did reupholster all valences in tooled leather-look fabric and made slip covers in same for dinette seat backs. Much classier and better for horse camping! Also put up metal back splash around stove an put up magnetic knife rack. Any advice from any of you incl BC would be appreciated. Thanks. Yorkranchgal

Yorkranchgalnguy 11-10-2014 07:15 PM

Brian, would it be possible to order the face frame and tall single door from the option? Any idea of the price if it's possible? I would like to fashion a small utility broom closet at the end of the current bunk area, and use the top bunk deck lowered and made smaller as a fold down desk. I would want the wood work to match. Thanks for your time. Yorkranchgal.