Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Community Discussions (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Rusting sink ?? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/rusting-sink-71281.html)

Frank & Eve 11-08-2014 11:14 AM

Rusting sink ??

My kitchen sink is rusting. Dry it out after each use. Didn't know stainless steel would rust. Appreciate any help.

donniedu 11-08-2014 12:12 PM

As I remember my chemistry, SS is actually carbon steel with nickle added. Yes it can rust. But likely it is contamination on the surface. Do you use steel wool pads by any chance?

Weezer 11-08-2014 12:38 PM

Sneak educated me on stainless steel. I always thought it meant NO rust also.

Stain LESS doesn't mean Stain FREE :rolleyes:

Having said that, the stainless sink in the kitchen at home has never rusted. It will get stains on it that I remove with Barkeeper's Friend.

Frank & Eve 11-08-2014 04:20 PM

It's the one sink that I kept covered with the cutting board. Removed that and scrubbed really well. Do not leave covered now. The other side is fine. Will try the Bar keepers friend. Think I have tried everything else.

Frank & Eve 01-25-2015 03:47 PM

OK I know it's been a while since I posted this question but we did resolve the problem with just one use of Bar Keepers Friend ! No more rust or pitting. Looks brand new :)

wana65stang 01-25-2015 04:12 PM

Sorry what is " Barkeepers friend" ? where can you get it?

heavynlori 01-25-2015 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wana65stang (Post 770727)
Sorry what is " Barkeepers friend" ? where can you get it?

In the cleaning supplies aisle
It comes in a silver can shake top like Comet

BooBoo23 01-25-2015 05:41 PM

It all depends on the grade of stainless steel. All stainless steels will oxidize, it is not as visible in 316 or 304 steels, 409 stainless will oxide rapidly (most commonly known as muffler grade) but a little buffing and it will shine. You can scratch 304 and it will show rust in the scratch but again a little buffing and it will disappear. Actually it is the chromium content that give it rust resistance and the nickel will enhance it but the nickel is what gives it strength. All 300 series has 18% chromium and 8% nickel and commonly called 18/8 s/s. A slight variance with 316 s/s as it has a little less chromium (16%) and a little more nickel (10%) and 2% molybdenum added. I am not an expert on stainless steels but working with metals in the fertilizer industry got to understand it. We used 304 s/s for most of the product line but also used some 409 s/s. Lots of other 300 series grades of s/s and the use depends on the application and the other materials added to the steel.

ryand 01-25-2015 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 68829 I use bar keepers on our stainless sink at home. It's good also on fiberglass showers and tubs. Awesome stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums