Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Cedar Creek (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   LT or ST (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f23/lt-or-st-74976.html)

toslow 02-06-2015 04:44 PM

LT or ST

I'm looking at 4 new tires and was wondering if LT would work on my 34rlbs 5er.

is there anyone running LT and what are they saying

thanks

Oaklevel 02-06-2015 04:47 PM

:) Do a search many treads on this......

My tire dealer will not mount LT tires on trailer rims or on a trailer.....:eek:

Good Luck !!!

:campfire:

BombDoc 02-06-2015 05:16 PM

I'm doing it.

I recently (before Christmas) removed the 4 ST tires on my 5er. I honestly wanted to run a little faster than 65mph, say 70 or 75. If I do 65mph, I'm causing traffic to have to shift around me constantly and I wanted to stay with the flow instead of being the slowest guy on the road. I also in the back of my mind had concern that the China Bombs would go any minute. I replaced my tires with Firestone Transforce HT's. I have 6K lb axles and each tire is over 3000lb rated. I also had the tires balanced. I have been camping twice since I replaced them and can notice a smoother ride, especially at the 65mph speed. I am happy with my decision on these tires and coupled with a TPMS, don't worry about it as much as I did. Good luck.

toslow 02-06-2015 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oaklevel (Post 778252)
:) Do a search many treads on this......

My tire dealer will not mount LT tires on trailer rims or on a trailer.....:eek:

Good Luck !!!

I've done a search, just looking for fresh info. or updated info

ttanous 02-06-2015 07:52 PM

My last RV I put Michelin XPS RIB tires for LT. These are higher end than the MS version. Heavier than LT. Might want to check them out. They performed very well.

Tom & Marilyn
2013 Chevrolet Duramax 3500 HD LTZ Crew Cab Long Bed Z71 4X4
2015 Cedar Creek 38RD Hathaway Edition

cpaulsen 02-07-2015 06:40 AM

Took my ST's off and mounted Goodyear LT's on....piece of mind!

ependydad 02-07-2015 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toslow (Post 778248)
I'm looking at 4 new tires and was wondering if LT would work on my 34rlbs 5er.

is there anyone running LT and what are they saying

thanks

Watch the weight capacities - I can't find an equivalent sized LT for my camper that has a high enough weight capacity. I'd have to go up in size and then I wouldn't have room between the tires.

Oaklevel 02-07-2015 07:14 AM

What I do not understand is why the real tire dealers (not the ones that will sell you anything & tell you everything is broken & needs repair) refuse to put LT tire on trailers???? Liability or safety reasons???? :eek:

Oaklevel 02-07-2015 07:39 AM

I am going to stick to ST since I can not put LTs on mine anyway, also as things are going will Insurance companies eventually say??...... :eek: Oh you have LTs it came with STs we are not covering the damage caused by the LTs when it blew even though you ran over a piece of steel..........

Tomorrow may change but I own 5 trailers 3 with tandem axles & trailers over 20 feet long have always used ST tires and have never had a blow out or flat on the road.

My 2 cents and my piece of mind,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

:signhavefun:

ependydad 02-07-2015 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oaklevel (Post 778495)
What I do not understand is why the real tire dealers (not the ones that will sell you anything & tell you everything is broken & needs repair) refuse to put LT tire on trailers???? Liability or safety reasons???? :eek:

Given this argument- I'm curious about the camper models that come with LTs from the factory - what would these tire dealers do?