Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows, Awnings & Doors (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f228/)
-   -   Leaving the awning open in the desert (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f228/leaving-the-awning-open-in-the-desert-76173.html)

elind 02-27-2015 11:57 AM

Leaving the awning open in the desert

I'm down in the Arizona desert camping and we noticed the many of the RVs don't have there awning open. DW is wondering if they them closed because of the intense sun wrecking awning. Will the desert sun eat up my awning? I thought it was that the winds with electric awnings getting ripped off the RVs was the reason. Who wins this thought?

Happy Vibe 02-27-2015 12:03 PM

The sun might have an effect on the fabric but the whole point of these is for shade. If you don't use it are you just keeping it nice for the people that buy your trailer?

OldCoot 02-27-2015 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Vibe (Post 793901)
The sun might have an effect on the fabric but the whole point of these is for shade. If you don't use it are you just keeping it nice for the people that buy your trailer?

Agree, but you better tie them down due to the wind.

elind 02-27-2015 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldCoot (Post 793909)
Agree, but you better tie them down due to the wind.

OC, I do have it tied down with your engineering design in place. Thanks OC.:)

And already did the trick with some of the desert winds this week.

Brother Les 02-27-2015 12:12 PM

wind. get a tie down kit.

Canopies will degrade over time no matter what, even if they are always kept rolled up and never used.

KyDan 02-27-2015 12:53 PM

Unless you have a shielded awning it will fail at the roof gutter because that area is always exposed no matter if it's open or closed.

youroo 02-27-2015 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elind (Post 793893)
I'm down in the Arizona desert camping and we noticed the many of the RVs don't have there awning open. DW is wondering if they them closed because of the intense sun wrecking awning. Will the desert sun eat up my awning? I thought it was that the winds with electric awnings getting ripped off the RVs was the reason. Who wins this thought?

Elind,you have been out of the UP to long! After Much Rsearch it is the SAME SUN you had in Mich.:roflblack: Youroo!! :us-flag-waving:

elind 02-27-2015 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youroo (Post 793978)
Elind,you have been out of the UP to long! After Much Rsearch it is the SAME SUN you had in Mich.:roflblack: Youroo!! :us-flag-waving:

Youroo, this Yooper has been out in the sun at home and down in the Caribbean. It is different down south. It does burn you quicker and spoil a honeymoon style vacation !:crying:

Crockett 02-27-2015 02:02 PM

a little 303 on the weatherguard ought to improve the life a little...

Mojojojo 02-27-2015 02:07 PM

In Oregon our awnings go out for rain not shade:roflblack: