Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Community Discussions (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Why is this emergency breakaway switch not working? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/why-is-this-emergency-breakaway-switch-not-working-77392.html)

grumpyer 03-18-2015 11:22 AM

Why is this emergency breakaway switch not working?
 
While I'm replacing tires today & since it's jacked up I decided to check the breakaway. pulled the pin but brakes did not lock up drums spin?????

Yes I have 12v to it!
What is your experience with this?

OldCoot 03-18-2015 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpyer (Post 809590)
While I'm replacing tires today & since it's jacked up I decided to check the breakaway. pulled the pin but brakes did not lock up drums spin?????

Yes I have 12v to it!
What is your experience with this?

Did you spin the drums while the pin was pulled? The drums have to turn to engage the magnets and the magnets grab the mechanism and engage the shoes. Usually take about 1/8-1/4 turn.

geotex1 03-18-2015 11:25 AM

Well, if you have +12VDC at the magnet, do you have ground?

wmtire 03-18-2015 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpyer (Post 809590)
While I'm replacing tires today & since it's jacked up I decided to check the breakaway. pulled the pin but brakes did not lock up drums spin?????

Yes I have 12v to it!
What is your experience with this?

Just to be sure, when you say you have 12V to it, do you mean from your trailers battery or from your vehicle?

The breakaway is wired to pull power from the trailers battery (which is the only way it can get power if it breaks away from the tow vehicle). If for some reason, you have the trailers battery disconnected or removed, then the breakaway will not work.

grumpyer 03-18-2015 11:32 AM

OldCoot, I spun drums


geotex, I assume wiring is all intact everything else works! May hve to trace wiring back to brakes huh?

grumpyer 03-18-2015 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmtire (Post 809602)
Just to be sure, when you say you have 12V to it, do you mean from your trailers battery or from your vehicle?

The breakaway is wired to pull power from the trailers battery (which is the only way it can get power if it breaks away from the tow vehicle). If for some reason, you have the trailers battery disconnected or removed, then the breakaway will not work.

trailer battery

wmtire 03-18-2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpyer (Post 809606)
trailer battery

If the trailer brakes work when hooked to the tow vehicle, I would suggest starting at the breakaway switch itself, and trace from there.

geotex1 03-18-2015 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpyer (Post 809605)
OldCoot, I spun drums


geotex, I assume wiring is all intact everything else works! May hve to trace wiring back to brakes huh?

Test at brakes first, then work back against what you don't have there. Just because everything above deck works doesn't mean the ground point for the brakes is good for instance. I've had breakaway switches actually fail with a piece of the pin in them and not trip.

grumpyer 03-18-2015 11:41 AM

Ok...looks like wiring only goes to left side I have right side jacked up right now. I'll post back once I get to that side.

geotex1 03-18-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpyer (Post 809619)
Ok...looks like wiring only goes to left side I have right side jacked up right now. I'll post back once I get to that side.

Wiring to that side should be on the axle tube with some version of crimp connector behind the backing plate. Test there.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.