Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Appliances and Electronics (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f113/)
-   -   Air Conditioner Quit after Power failure (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f113/air-conditioner-quit-after-power-failure-79391.html)

Big Paul 04-12-2015 05:19 PM

Air Conditioner Quit after Power failure

First time out this year all working ok until a short power failure. I have a surge supperssor Progressive Industries so do not think surge necessairly caused problem. Using the trouble shooting guide the best I can tell it is either the fan motor has an open winding but does not appear to be that according to the ohm meter. If that so have eliminated it down to possabilly a capacitor if their is one. Question is where would the capacitor be located? can not find one. If not the capacitor I will have to check motor windings a little closer. Throuble shooting guide says their is one but do not see it in the wiring schematic. model No 48254C966
Any help would be appreciated.

Crockett 04-12-2015 05:28 PM

Fan cap is in a box on the side of the evaporator housing up top

Big Paul 04-12-2015 05:40 PM

Ok thanks Crockett That was my next step but did not to to get in to it as rain is on the way partially pulled cover and could not see a cap. Thought it had to be hidden when could not see easy. Also does it sound like I am on the right path.

Crockett 04-12-2015 06:24 PM

I take it you hear a compressor run but no fan? How old is the unit? Can you spin the fan by hand?

Edit: do you have an old analog multimeter? You could do a needle swing test on the cap. Google the instructions, im sure they are out there.

Big Paul 04-12-2015 06:41 PM

I have an analog and digital meter so no problem ther checking cap. The compressor does not run but the relay to the fan and comp both are working. Fan spinns free no resistance. Was not sure on the comp coming on with oiut the fan but neither come on that I can tell. Out if warrenty just 2 months so this is the time for it to quit lets factory and dealer off the hook!!!

Crockett 04-12-2015 07:00 PM

Then its something before the fan circuit or you would have compressor function. Is this ducted or not? Did you turn breaker off then back on?

Big Paul 04-12-2015 07:22 PM

Yes is ducted and cycled power several times.

Rockwood 2608WS
Paul

Big Paul 04-12-2015 07:33 PM

Crockett I believe i found the problem it did not occur to me to cycle the power on the ac and dc at the same time. I had cycled them individually not off both at the same time I just did that and it came on. I am a retired electrician and should have though of that all I can say is my forgetter is working real good. Thanks for help.

Rockwood 2608WS
Paul

mb1834 04-13-2015 01:16 PM

I had a similar problem with a Dometic AC unit. Compressor would come on intermittently . Mobile repairman thought he fixed it but didn't. I removed cover on unit and tapped the Overload Protector with a screwdriver handle. The compressor would start but problem returned. Replaced the Overload Protector, and that was the problem. You can check continuity across the Overload Protector after disconnecting one side.

edcronin01 04-13-2015 01:16 PM

I didn't see the brand of air conditioner if it is Dometic they have a 2 yr warranty.