Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Wildwood (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   rear bike rack ideas (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f30/rear-bike-rack-ideas-82036.html)

5LowesOR 05-14-2015 10:49 AM

rear bike rack ideas

We just bought a wildwood x-lite 262bhxl. on the back of the trailer is a drop down grate to carry various items. There is what appears to be a receiver mount to accept a bike rack. The issue with this is when the grate is down that receiver is facing up. If the Grate is put back in the upright position the spare tire covers the receiver not to mention its several feet high at this point.

what have others done? My last trip I simply laid the bikes down and strapped them to the Grate. I don't find this very useful of that space.

I can take some pictures if that would help

Thanks
Travis

TURBS 05-14-2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5LowesOR (Post 863030)
We just bought a wildwood x-lite 262bhxl. on the back of the trailer is a drop down grate to carry various items. There is what appears to be a receiver mount to accept a bike rack. The issue with this is when the grate is down that receiver is facing up. If the Grate is put back in the upright position the spare tire covers the receiver not to mention its several feet high at this point.

what have others done? My last trip I simply laid the bikes down and strapped them to the Grate. I don't find this very useful of that space.

Thanks
Travis

I'd continue as you already did, bikes on the grate.
Please do not mount a bike rack back there receiver or not.
TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"

TheOrrs 05-14-2015 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5LowesOR (Post 863030)

Thanks
Travis

Can you take a pic?
Ours has a post that you install to support the bikes when on the rack.

mrmyers1 05-16-2015 09:27 AM

Why is it okay to carry a bike back that there, but not mount it? newbie here...

youroo 05-16-2015 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmyers1 (Post 864866)
Why is it okay to carry a bike back that there, but not mount it? newbie here...

If you have (Several Days) use the (Search/at the Top) Plenty of Info! :welcomesign: by the way! Youroo!! :us-flag-waving:

Rrickim63 05-16-2015 09:44 AM

At a minimum, you run risk of losing the bike . Don't ask me how i know... secured or not the bikes will bounce around on the mount.

TURBS 05-16-2015 10:14 AM

Or your bikes launch into the back of your camper causing severe fiberglass damage. Ask me how I know.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"

rockfordroo 05-16-2015 10:39 AM

You have opened the biggest can of worms on this forum!

Rrickim63 05-16-2015 11:02 AM

The 2 biggest debates i've seen are the bikes on bumpers debate or gas vs diesel 😄

hbillsmith 05-16-2015 12:04 PM

I think I have the same cargo grate. On mine there is a 1 7/8" post that is laid down flat on the grate and secured with a pin clip. You unclip the post and it then stands up into that hole you think is a receiver pointing up. The intent I believe is that the bikes ride standing up on the grate with their seats and crossbars securely strapped to the top of that post. For extra security I also use buckle straps at the bottom that wrap the entire grate tray and go across where the pedal thingy meets the seat post. Basically secure bikes at top and at bottom. I may look for a bicycle carrier with upper extension arms that I can fit in to the hole to replace the simple post.