Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Travel Trailer & Fifth Wheel Discussion (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   What are your BEST words of wisdom? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f5/what-are-your-best-words-of-wisdom-82466.html)

Team Crews 05-18-2015 08:11 PM

What are your BEST words of wisdom?

We are getting ready to be full timers but are 5er newbies. What are your best words of wisdom? :)

Ford Idaho 05-18-2015 08:16 PM

Baby steps!

No rush, right?

:thumbsup:

Radio 05-18-2015 08:22 PM

1. Don't take advice from unhappy people (Folks who don't seem to be having fun)
2. Spend more money doing and less "acquiring"
3. Never be in a hurry. If you are in a hurry you are not doing it right.
4. Airline pilots use checklists. So should you.
5. Travel light.

The last one is hard for many. We are former backpackers and going minimal isn't to hard for us.

asquared 05-18-2015 08:23 PM

Practice maneuvering in an empty parking lot, this includes backing straight up and backing into a site. In a fiver you will need to pull it forward to straighten out as you will never get it straightened out backing up. Also a wise person once told me to start your turn when the truck rear wheels are entering g the intersection. Remember to cut wide as the fiver will track narrower than a tt. Watch things like stop signs when turning.

Team Crews 05-18-2015 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Idaho (Post 867549)
Baby steps!

No rush, right?

Oh no baby steps here...we are skipping the frying pan and jumping right into the fire! After 3 years of the home being on the market it when under contact the morning after we bought a 5th wheel and truck.... We've always been looking for those open doors of opportunity but didn't know they would open so fast and so wide.

arpipeliner 05-18-2015 08:37 PM

Be ready to fix what goes wrong or you want to be better. People put them together and most things can be fixed or done by other people too. They might have a shop. I have to do things on the road or as friends come by or make new friends to help. Our house burnt a year ago so the previous 6 years of 250 to 300 days in them is a plus.

Set back and enjoy it. Things will come to you that you might want to modify. When repairing just remember someone has a worst situation than you.

You will be amazed the stuff you will carry and not use. I try to pass it along to make up more room for more junk(treasure) I find later. Just like Christmas again.

Just have fun and enjoy it. There will be a kill joy in some parks. Move to another spot or park or ignore them. That's the beauty of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

mark0224 05-18-2015 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Crews (Post 867546)
We are getting ready to be full timers but are 5er newbies. What are your best words of wisdom? :)

We will be doing the same but more in the snow bird capacity only thing we have had a trailer for the last 15 years. Hope you have a good time and safe travels.

Forbes 05-18-2015 08:49 PM

Don't make the move to fast, close up your house for one year, then if you still want to full time start thinking more about it. My wife and I have meet so many people who jumped into full timing and then wished they still had a home base. It is a very big move like everyone said, take baby steps.

Allzright 05-18-2015 09:11 PM

Remember you're living the dream! Don't sweat the small stuff.
:signhavefun::trink39::signhavefun:

DreiHunde 05-18-2015 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio (Post 867558)
1. Don't take advice from unhappy people (Folks who don't seem to be having fun)
2. Spend more money doing and less "acquiring"
3. Never be in a hurry. If you are in a hurry you are not doing it right.
4. Airline pilots use checklists. So should you.
5. Travel light.

The last one is hard for many. We are former backpackers and going minimal isn't to hard for us.

well said and remember :signhavefun: