Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Community Discussions (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   What kills the battery when not in use? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/what-kills-the-battery-when-not-in-use-82542.html)

rpatterson 05-19-2015 05:19 PM

What kills the battery when not in use?
 
My Forest River Wildwood kills the battery within days when camper is not is use. Can't be just the carbon monoxide detector. What else could be drawing DC power? And no, I didn't leave lights or radio on.

markb5900 05-19-2015 05:23 PM

Check that your Tv booster is off, that will kill it in a day or two.
Also, make sure your fridge is actually off.
When you open it, if the light comes on, it is not off and it will kill it in a few days also.
Don't ask me how I know of the above things. LOL

ColoradoRick 05-19-2015 05:25 PM

On my Rockwood, I have a kills switch underneath the fridge. All winter, I never disconnected the battery and just used that and they kept a full charge.

I assumed they had no draw but, last camping trip, I was goofing around and discovered the slide out control does work even if totally disconnected from shore power and the kill switch was on...I was amazed! (I don't know why they would wire it like that, but it is.)

In my last trailer, I did have to disconnect the black cable off one of the batteries to ensure no draw was taking place. (Some people connect a simple switch to that.)

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...rs/55-9025.jpg

rpatterson 05-19-2015 05:27 PM

TV booster off; fridge off. Only think I can't terminate is the propane/carbon monoxide detector. But there must be something else. A fully charged deep cycle battery should not go down in 3-4 days. I even have a 2 watt solar trickle hooked up.

buddy300 05-19-2015 05:27 PM

I've left the Genisis 3 on when I was using it for surround sound on the television.
Good luck!

KDHfan 05-19-2015 05:27 PM

What kills the battery when not in use?
 
NFM

madmaxmutt 05-19-2015 05:27 PM

CO2, Brakes, radio (even when off), TV Antenna booster, Anything else that is inadvertently left on. One idea that was from an old school RVer was remove all the fuses. Put a meter on the battery. Plug each fuse in individually. Check the meter for changes.


If the battery is on it's way out, you will also get the described symptoms.


The best solution is to add some form of battery cutoff switch.

rpatterson 05-19-2015 05:29 PM

My slide works on DC power, as does my stabilizers and tongue jack.

I'm leaning towards all the main DC items must draw power when not even in use.

buddy300 05-19-2015 05:29 PM

Also I put on an inexpensive battery disconnect and that took care of the problem.

fmc 05-19-2015 05:36 PM

I put an on and off switch on the 12v power to the stereo.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.