Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Tent Campers and Pop Ups (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Shore Power/Battery (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f9/shore-power-battery-86245.html)

MohicanJeff 06-29-2015 08:02 PM

Shore Power/Battery

Just curious if plugging into shore power charges the 12 volt battery. I'm thinking a trickle charger is my best bet if does not. Any ideas? Appreciate the response!!

Flybob 06-29-2015 08:16 PM

You don't say what unit you have. Most RV's have a convertor that will charge the battery if connected to shore power. If you have one of the lower end convertors (WFCO) it will trickle charge ( not intelligent maintain) and can eventually cause the cells to go dry. It is the easiest and most convenient way to keep the battery charged, but you need to continually check the water levels. I use a Battery Tender to keep the battery charged between trips. It is computer controlled and will not cause water levels to drop. You just add the quick connect to the battery and when parked plug in the battery tender.

Battery Tender Plus 021-0128 12V Battery Charger - Walmart.com

MohicanJeff 06-29-2015 08:24 PM

Thanks for the reply Bob. I have a 2007 flagstaff 206st pop up. It sounds like we both have the same type of charger. I bought my pop up last fall and are working out the unknowns. Thanks again

kinma13 07-03-2015 06:07 AM

Just disconnect the battery negative when not in use. Or install a shut off switch

f5moab 07-03-2015 06:57 AM

My suggestion would be to get the converter model number. The one on my 2012 model is a three stages, and is one of the lower WFCO models. Then look up the model on the companies website. Three states of my WFCO model:

Absorption mode/Normal operation - Supplies nominal battery charge and supplies power to appliances

Bulk mode/Charge mode - Supplies fast battery charge and supplies power to appliances

Float mode/Trickle charge - Supplies trickle battery charge during storage

Ringbill 07-03-2015 07:30 AM

trickle/ tender charger

My old Sears battery charger still works but you have to monitor it..and keep the battery cell caps off/loose...is this required when you use the trickle charger? I have a rockwood 1940 with the power crank for the roof; after setup I usually disconnect the pos/neg leads to the battery- I worry about accidentally tripping this while the roof is raised- and would like to hook up a tender. I know I was told by someone here to install a disconnect but have not done that. Can you leave the battery caps on while using the tender? Thank you!

Pipeman 07-03-2015 08:20 AM

When hooked up to shore power , disconnect the batteries either by a shut off switch or by disconnecting the negative side from the battery/batteries, making sure that the cable does not touch any metal on the trailer.

Trevor43 07-03-2015 08:51 AM

Uhmmm.......say again?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pipeman (Post 912374)
When hooked up to shore power , disconnect the batteries either by a shut off switch or by disconnecting the negative side from the battery/batteries, making sure that the cable does not touch any metal on the trailer.

Trevor43 07-03-2015 08:58 AM

Yes you can leave the caps on........the Battery Minder is more of a float charge....will not make the battery boil like your single stage charger.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringbill (Post 912344)
My old Sears battery charger still works but you have to monitor it..and keep the battery cell caps off/loose...is this required when you use the trickle charger? I have a rockwood 1940 with the power crank for the roof; after setup I usually disconnect the pos/neg leads to the battery- I worry about accidentally tripping this while the roof is raised- and would like to hook up a tender. I know I was told by someone here to install a disconnect but have not done that. Can you leave the battery caps on while using the tender? Thank you!

f5moab 07-03-2015 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pipeman (Post 912374)

Why? And if the negative cable is disconnected, nothing will happen if it touches the frame.