Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Expandable and Hybrid RV Discussions (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   battery charging troubles (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f8/battery-charging-troubles-88765.html)

Parr8hed 07-28-2015 09:14 PM

battery charging troubles

Just got my new (to me) Roo. I left it plugged in for a few days and then unhooked it from shore power. I turned on the radio tonight when I was putting some supplies in it and getting it set up for it's maiden voyage. Well no radio came on. No lights came on. I looked all around the thing and there is no AD to DC switch. Do I have a bad battery? Finally went and checked the connections to the actual battery and THERE IS NO BATTERY IN THE BOX!

So a P.S.A....you have to have a battery for it to charge.

Herk7769 07-28-2015 09:21 PM

Excellent troubleshooting! :D

Flybob 07-28-2015 09:35 PM

You also have to have a battery to operate the brakes during a break-away. Required by most if not all states.

bikendan 07-28-2015 10:35 PM

I'd be angry at the seller for letting you drive off without a battery or telling you to bring one, since you're required to have one to operate the breakaway switch.

pjnlorrie 07-28-2015 11:36 PM

The good news is you will have the battery you want!

Parr8hed 07-29-2015 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikendan (Post 938433)
I'd be angry at the seller for letting you drive off without a battery or telling you to bring one, since you're required to have one to operate the breakaway switch.

I am actually a bit angry.

There were plenty of things I had to buy. Sewer hose, awning tool, leveling jack tool, TV, new tires....

This used, cheap trailer is getting expensive. I wish I would have known more to ask him about these things when I was looking at it. But I still feel like I got a pretty good deal.

Parr8hed 07-29-2015 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjnlorrie (Post 938462)
The good news is you will have the battery you want!

Which brings me to my next question...

Which battery do I want? Obviously a deep cycle, marine battery. But is there a certain brand, or size that most people seem to like better?

bikendan 07-29-2015 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parr8hed (Post 938519)
Which brings me to my next question...

Which battery do I want? Obviously a deep cycle, marine battery. But is there a certain brand, or size that most people seem to like better?

First, if you plan on dry camping or boondocking, then you should get two deep cycle batteries. Best would be two 6v golf cart batteries.

But if you will always camped with electric hookups, a single deep cycle battery is fine.

Also, a marine battery is NOT a true deep cycle battery. Any battery that has a CCA or MCA rating, isn't a true deep cycle.

Parr8hed 07-29-2015 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikendan (Post 938970)
First, if you plan on dry camping or boondocking, then you should get two deep cycle batteries. Best would be two 6v golf cart batteries.

But if you will always camped with electric hookups, a single deep cycle battery is fine.

Also, a marine battery is NOT a true deep cycle battery. Any battery that has a CCA or MCA rating, isn't a true deep cycle.

Thanks! I ended up buying the cheapest, smallest "Deep Cycle RV/Marine" battery at autozone. I have no idea what type of camping I will end up doing. Once I get out there camping I'll figure it out. For now it will mostly be at state parks with electric.

bikendan 07-29-2015 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parr8hed (Post 939196)
Thanks! I ended up buying the cheapest, smallest "Deep Cycle RV/Marine" battery at autozone. I have no idea what type of camping I will end up doing. Once I get out there camping I'll figure it out. For now it will mostly be at state parks with electric.

lucky you. the first 8 years we owned our Roo, we lived in California.
their state parks have less than 1% with any hookups, so camping without them is pretty much a given, since you have to win the Lottery to get one with electric hookups.

so we had to learn how to become dry camping veterans. so, that meant two deep cycle batteries, Honda 2000w, 6 gallon fresh water jug, 15 gallon blue tote tank and a 400w hard wired inverter.