Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Modifications and Updates (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f68/)
-   -   Homemade hydraulic level system (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f68/homemade-hydraulic-level-system-90183.html)

CJM 08-15-2015 08:55 PM

Homemade hydraulic level system

Has an one done this. It is one of two options I didn't get on my 35qb4. The first was a fire place. That was easy. I have done some research and it appears to be a straight forward hydraulic system. Just need the controller, which would be easy to install. I'm sure I could put the system together cheaper than they sell for. Any info or opinions welcome.

Thanks

05CrewDually 08-15-2015 10:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I know you said hydraulic but here's what I did on my 07 Wildcat. It does have hydraulic front gear and slides. Simply for cost and ease of install, I went electric.
I purchased 2 electric tongue jacks through Walmart's website for only 99 bucks each. I ran a dedicated 10 gauge wire through a 30amp circuit breaker to the rear just aft the rear axle.
I used 2x4x.25" tubing for frame mounts that I welded to the jacks. I also cut down the jack tubes making them 7" shorter. I outfitted the jacks with the auto retracting 6" Flip feet @ 39 bucks ea. The assembly then is bolted through the frame with 1/2" bolts. The top of the mount rest tight against the top flange of the frame making it rigid.
Once wired up I am able to lift the entire coach off the ground if I want to. Each jack is independent and are still able to be manually retracted if there's failure. The jacks even have 2 LED lights that shine down on the foot for night time ops.
Here's some pics.

Static54 08-15-2015 10:34 PM

I like that.

Kilday4 08-15-2015 11:13 PM

Nice setup.

Crockett 08-15-2015 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05CrewDually (Post 954798)
I know you said hydraulic but here's what I did on my 07 Wildcat. It does have hydraulic front gear and slides. Simply for cost and ease of install, I went electric.
I purchased 2 electric tongue jacks through Walmart's website for only 99 bucks each. I ran a dedicated 10 gauge wire through a 30amp circuit breaker to the rear just aft the rear axle.
I used 2x4x.25" tubing for frame mounts that I welded to the jacks. I also cut down the jack tubes making them 7" shorter. I outfitted the jacks with the auto retracting 6" Flip feet @ 39 bucks ea. The assembly then is bolted through the frame with 1/2" bolts. The top of the mount rest tight against the top flange of the frame making it rigid.
Once wired up I am able to lift the entire coach off the ground if I want to. Each jack is independent and are still able to be manually retracted if there's failure. The jacks even have 2 LED lights that shine down on the foot for night time ops.
Here's some pics.

that looks like the old ultra fab jack...it did not have a clutch as i remember. how does it respond at the end of its travel when totally retracted?

05CrewDually 08-15-2015 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crockett (Post 954834)
that looks like the old ultra fab jack...it did not have a clutch as i remember. how does it respond at the end of its travel when totally retracted?

They're made in China with no name on the boxes. No weak troublesome clutches. When retracted it folds the foot up and stops. The circuit breaker protects it.

Crockett 08-16-2015 10:00 AM

i used to just avoid running that jack against the stop. should be ok if you just feather it up to travel position. running up with full momentum may give you premature failure. the old ultra fab was rated 3500 pound and a durable jack. it looks just like it. nice mod IMO..:)

Static54 08-16-2015 02:04 PM

This them 05CrewDually?

3500 lbs Electric Power Tongue Jack RV Boat Jet Ski A-Frame Trailer Camper 12V - Walmart.com

Didn't see any mention of the light but looks like them.

05CrewDually 08-16-2015 05:02 PM

Having trouble with my phone viewing the item. The little picture that I can see looks right. The price is right too.

KarenDLS 08-16-2015 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05CrewDually (Post 954842)
They're made in China with no name on the boxes. No weak troublesome clutches. When retracted it folds the foot up and stops. The circuit breaker protects it.

My DH wants to know how do you control the twisting of the frame since front jacks are not as controllable as the back ones.