Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   A Frame Campers (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f221/)
-   -   Do You Lock? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f221/do-you-lock-91830.html)

chuck9997 09-05-2015 10:25 AM

Do You Lock?

Do you pad lock the aframe roof when its down? Do you padlock the front storage trunk (like on my a122s)? I already have too many keys..
1. door key
2. storage compartment key
3. coupler lock key
4. hitch pin key
5. Key for the padlock on the chain that wraps around the camper's frame and my carport at home. (The last 3 are just for piece of mind... I know thieves can take it if they want.. but maybe they will move onto an easier target.)

Anyway.. thinking of maybe adding combination locks to the roof and trunk.. so I don't have more keys.

What do you do?

Papa GLS 09-05-2015 10:33 AM

Buy pad locks that are all keys the same. Available @ Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc. Then only one key.

Big Vic 09-05-2015 02:04 PM

I lock everything, which probably just deters children and low level thieves...there are casual thieves who will take things without premeditation if easy access is granted.
Locking is in my DNA...I grew up in NYC where everyone locks everything.

Twistedpairs 09-05-2015 03:16 PM

X2 on the multi lock with one key. Used to use combination locks on everything but then... What were we talking about again?! I even tried writing the combination down somewhere and forgot where I put that! Grampa used to always say, locks only keep the honest people out.

pjnlorrie 09-05-2015 03:26 PM

I believe in locking stuff up but recommend against keyed locks for the roof latches. Think about getting to your destination and discover you left the camper keys at home. This happened to my son. Use combination locks instead-no keys. Used a re-settable type like this for years:

Brinks Home Security 1-3/16 in. (30 mm) Resettable Combination Solid Brass Padlock-171-30051 - The Home Depot

*These make it easy to set the combo to something you will not forget-address, year of birth, etc.

chuck9997 09-05-2015 06:01 PM

I bought 2 combination locks today. BRINKS brass locks. One for the roof. . One for front storage trunk.

chuck9997 09-05-2015 06:01 PM

Now.. what the heck was that "easy to remember" number I put in?

Newbies to Aframe 2015 09-05-2015 06:07 PM

We lock everything as well. We did buy the multiple locks with multiple duplicates of the same key.

bensinc 09-05-2015 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjnlorrie (Post 975344)
Think about getting to your destination and discover you left the camper keys at home.

I did just that once! We only drove an hour away, but ended up just going home for the night and coming back in the morning!

I don't have locks on the roof latches, and the door was unlocked, but I couldn't get into the rear door where I keep my tools, cranks, power cord, etc. I could have gotten into the other compartments from the inside.

The camper keys now stay in the car at all times!

chuck9997 09-05-2015 06:36 PM

I have two sets of all the keys.. one set in the tow vehicle. . One set stays at home.