Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Forester (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   I'm sick, tree scratched passenger side (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f15/im-sick-tree-scratched-passenger-side-97730.html)

Sagecoachdriver 12-11-2015 01:48 PM

I'm sick, tree scratched passenger side

I was driving home last night from the Tire shop, sun was down, overcast and raining. I moved to the right hand lane to make a right turn and heard scraping of tree branches. Never saw the tree. This morning, I saw the damage. Luckily, no punctures just a lot of scratches. Tried polishing compound, but most are still there. With the "Full body paint", could they just need some clear coat? Does insurance cover this and can they match the paint?

brookstone345sa 12-11-2015 02:13 PM

I have done same thing. I used Meguiars scratch remover and it helped a lot. Mine was from low hanging branch.

Sagecoachdriver 12-11-2015 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brookstone345sa (Post 1054784)
I have done same thing. I used Meguiars scratch remover and it helped a lot. Mine was from low hanging branch.

Thanks, going to AutoZone right now! I get sick every time I look at it. The DW says you really have to look for it. She needs glasses!!!

Boso 12-11-2015 05:54 PM

Carry to a body shop car or Rv let them buff it out if it is a little deeper it can be wet sanded and buffed out if not yes they can match the paint may not be any clear coat on it have had 4 that had to have body or cosmetic work hate to admit to that and I couldn't tell a noticeable difference with the reflex steering except maybe a little stiffer turning

Rocket City Gary 12-11-2015 06:02 PM

Sage, I scraped the passenger side rear on a tree getting out of my camping spot. Damaged a little of the fiberglass, pulled loose some rear corner molding, and deep scratched the paint. Insurance will cover, but you are responsible for deductible so it ended up costing me $750. I was sick for a month until I got it fixed. My motorhome dealer body shop did a good job. I was just glad it wasn't worse. I could have easily dented in the rear side and caused some openings. My DW was also easy on me. She will always guide my backing from now on.

RSchleder 12-11-2015 06:03 PM

If you are unable to remove the scratches in the clear coat, take it to a good body shop and they can polish the scratches out of the clear coat. If the scratches are through the clear coat, into the base (color) it cannot be buffed out. If into the use coat, the area will need repainting, and yes, a good body shop will match the paint perfectly. So, the bottom line is you have two approaches to fix the paint scratches, it just depends how deep they go.

Terier 12-11-2015 06:27 PM

The first boo boo is hard to deal with. Hopefully the suggestions offer will help.

I remember when I saw that a small area of paint was missing on the front of my TT & then saw that my new truck had matching scratches. I quickly learned about jackknifing can happen while backing up & turning sharply.

Sagecoachdriver 12-11-2015 07:57 PM

Thank you brookstone345sa

brookstone345sa, I picked up some Meguiar's Scratch X2.0 and went to work hand rubbing out most of the scratches. I'd say 85% are gone and you have to really look to see the rest. Since it's up high, it's not noticeable. May wait now until I get it detailed in a year and have them buff out the rest. I'm feeling better now. Thanks for all the replies. :thumbsup:

Dogpatch 12-11-2015 08:24 PM

The first "OOOPS" always hurts the most!

Once you get that under your belt and realize you can't protect your baby from everything, it gets a little easier.

Then you just shrug your shoulders and get it fixed anyways.

West Cactus 12-11-2015 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogpatch (Post 1055010)
The first "OOOPS" always hurts the most!

Once you get that under your belt and realize you can't protect your baby from everything, it gets a little easier.

Then you just shrug your shoulders and get it fixed anyways.

Perfectly put! I look at it as there are those who have and those who will. We didn't turn wide enough on our go home trip. Took some damage but fixable. Cheap lesson we learned that this is a big vehicle. Could have been a lot worse$$.

Seasonal 12-11-2015 10:12 PM

This is so easy to do. Campgrounds, narrow roads, etc...

I feel your pain...

mcmilia 12-12-2015 01:10 PM

We go to the desert many times during the winter (Yuma area) and the tree scratches are called "pin stripping". Costs a lot to get them done professionally!

RingoRoy15 12-12-2015 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver (Post 1054762)
I was driving home last night from the Tire shop, sun was down, overcast and raining. I moved to the right hand lane to make a right turn and heard scraping of tree branches. Never saw the tree. This morning, I saw the damage. Luckily, no punctures just a lot of scratches. Tried polishing compound, but most are still there. With the "Full body paint", could they just need some clear coat? Does insurance cover this and can they match the paint?

It always is good to know we're not alone.....I did a similar "oooops" backing out of our very long and narrow shared-driveway.

Expect to get it out with several buffing coats of Meguiars or, I'd also suggest something that Harley Davidson sells called "Scratch and Swirl." It took a couple of coats on my hail-blemished Harley...but, it also worked well on our 5th wheel. The Harley tech told me they always use it on polishing up trade-ins and he also said, expect a couple of coats, but it WILL work! He was right! :trink39:
Best wishes and :signhavefun:

RingoRoy15 12-12-2015 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver (Post 1054762)

It always is good to know we're not alone.....I did a similar "oooops" backing out of our very long and narrow shared-driveway.

Expect to get it out with several buffing coats of Maguiars or, I'd also suggest something that Harley Davidson sells called "Scratch and Swirl." It took a couple of coats on my hail-blemished Harley...but, it also worked well on our 5th wheel. The Harley tech told me they always use it on polishing up trade-ins and he also said, expect a couple of coats, but it WILL work! He was right! :trink39:
Best wishes and :signhavefun:

Terier 12-12-2015 02:03 PM

After getting a second boo boo I decided that an RV without injuries is an RV that isn't being used enough. OK, not really but the thought made me feel a little better.

mtnlvr 12-12-2015 06:14 PM

It's frustrating to me how many campgrounds or RV parks can't ever bother to trim a few branches back. But don't get me started on the trash left behind in sites........

Harkerr 12-13-2015 04:06 PM

In my experience body shop paint is not as good as factory and ages faster. Wait 6 months and see if it still bothers you as much. By then you will have a few parking lot side dings to add.

MilCop4523 12-14-2015 07:37 AM

had a buddy of mine buy a new 2015 Ford F250. He got it home and his wife came out and with great admiration she commented how nice the truck looked.

he walked to the back of the truck and kicked the lower box quarter panel putting a dent in the side and his wife saying a few choice words included asked him what the _____ he was doing.

he said what he was doing was he was not worrying about any other scratch or dent the truck would get after this - its always the first one that hurts the worst.

Dogpatch 12-14-2015 09:07 AM

If you caused the damage, it's a little easier to get over it.

If I find a dent or mark done by someone else, it pisses me off forever. (Or till I get it fixed and don't get reminded of it)

RSchleder 12-14-2015 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver (Post 1054996)
brookstone345sa, I picked up some Meguiar's Scratch X2.0 and went to work hand rubbing out most of the scratches. I'd say 85% are gone and you have to really look to see the rest. Since it's up high, it's not noticeable. May wait now until I get it detailed in a year and have them buff out the rest. I'm feeling better now. Thanks for all the replies. :thumbsup:

Be sure you put 2-3 coats of a good wax over the area where you removed the scratches!