Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Travel Trailer & Fifth Wheel Discussion (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   Solar panels. How many needed? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f5/solar-panels-how-many-needed-97826.html)

Pbalmer65 12-13-2015 06:45 PM

Solar panels. How many needed?

Looking to put solar on my 5er. Want to run lights ( I'm all LED lighting ) heater and if posable a coffee pot or 900watt microwave. I have put a second battery aboard already. Need the right inverter and total watts needed of panels to keep up.

Kenny kustom 12-13-2015 07:01 PM

Usually one watt per ah of battery.

You may need more battery.
The micro is the big sucker.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!

Flybob 12-13-2015 07:09 PM

Here is a great site. Not only do they have a great selection of products, but many education tools to help you decide how to configure your system. Remember a 900W micro running on an inverter will draw about 90A from your battery when running. On a normal RV battery that is about 30 mins before you draw the battery too low.
Solar Electric Power Systems For On & Off Grid | Panels and More | NAWS

Kenny kustom 12-13-2015 07:10 PM

If you can give up the micro.
You could get away with your two batts and a couple panels.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!

Pbalmer65 12-13-2015 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybob (Post 1056180)
Here is a great site. Not only do they have a great selection of products, but many education tools to help you decide how to configure your system. Remember a 900W micro running on an inverter will draw about 90A from your battery when running. On a normal RV battery that is about 30 mins before you draw the battery too low.
Solar Electric Power Systems For On & Off Grid | Panels and More | NAWS

Great web site. Thank you Flybob

Bluepill 12-13-2015 07:22 PM

If by "Heater" you mean just the 12 volt power to run the fan for a propane heater, a few batteries and a few 100 watt panels should work. If you mean 120 volt AC heater, batteries and panels will not supply enough power.

Ramblin Recks 12-13-2015 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny kustom (Post 1056175)
Usually one watt per ah of battery.

You may need more battery.
The micro is the big sucker.

X2- Do an energy audit to determine your daily dc ah usage to help determine your battery bank size, and then you will know how to size your panels.

Paulie1138 12-14-2015 01:13 PM

Another great site for RV solar and batteries, has been done by a guy named Handy Bob. Great information. Biggest item he harps on (in a good way) is to be sure to use larger wire than recommended for everything! That, as well as verifying your charge controller is set to the manufacturer's spec's for your particular battery set. Almost all are set too low-something I did further research on, and found to be true.

ablindmule 12-14-2015 03:00 PM

I have a 19 foot Rockwood Roo, we outfitted with two 6 V batteries and a 1500W inverter, and we utilize a 200 watt Zamp system we bought on sale direct from Zamp. Absolutely love it, and we can use everything except the AC. No problem using the microwave, coffee maker, TV, stereo, etc. Keep in mind that Microwave usage is fairly brief, properly managed is no problem. Also, there are very efficient ways of heating, such as using "Little Buddy" heaters that can greatly increase comfort while saving your batteries.

We primarily dry camp, and the system keeps me fully loaded with very heavy usage. I highly recommend.
The techs at Zamp Solar are terrific to work with and will help you properly size your panel needs based on your projected usage. Give them a call, they were most Helpful.

Also, check out https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/ and read everything he has to say. Very informative and entertaining. You will be well educated when finished.

Kenny kustom 12-14-2015 04:55 PM

Interesting is right...

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!