Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Legacy (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f237/)
-   -   winter storage (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f237/winter-storage-97851.html)

ScottPM 12-14-2015 10:43 AM

winter storage

Hey, just a quick question, does anyone level their coaches during the winter and just leave the jacks down? if you do,do you coat the pistons with anything?

Thanks

Blacknchromehd 12-14-2015 02:33 PM

Well mine is inside in the warm so no it does not have the jacks down.

ScottPM 12-14-2015 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacknchromehd (Post 1056691)

lol thanks!! working on that arrangement for next winter :)

aeroshots 12-14-2015 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacknchromehd (Post 1056691)

Mine is inside also, but has the jacks down. Is there a preferred method for jack during idle times? I just figured jacks down to relieve the weight from the bags and rest of the suspension components.

ScottPM 12-14-2015 03:10 PM

Guess my only concern would be the effects on the jacks sitting extended for 4 months during the winter.

captnrick3 12-16-2015 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottPM (Post 1056723)
Guess my only concern would be the effects on the jacks sitting extended for 4 months during the winter.

If you do that, when it comes time to retract the jacks, I would wipe the shafts good and coat with a good silicone lube before retracting. If it were me, I think I would put plywood or thick plastic under the tires, deflate the airbags, leave the jacks retracted and call it good.

Fortunately our rig is parked under cover in the back yard and we use it year round.

conceptumator 12-19-2015 09:43 AM

We're in Florida, so no cold weather, but we do keep it jacks down and leveled in the driveway, hooked up and AC running, I was told not to use WD40 or silicone spray on the jacks as those would collect dirt, but there is a Teflon spray they sell at Lowe's that works really well and dirt doesn't stick to it. Same thing they use on bicycle chains to keep the lubed and clean. Directional long range spray nozzle, too.

Pipeman 12-19-2015 10:07 AM

Where mine is stored for the winter, it's not covered so the front jacks are extended and the front raised just past level so rain/melting snow can run off the back of the 5er. The tires sit on 8x10x 4ft pieces of wood and the tires covered. Goes into storage in October and comes out in May, usually.

wana65stang 12-19-2015 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottPM (Post 1056543)
Hey, just a quick question, does anyone level their coaches during the winter and just leave the jacks down? if you do,do you coat the pistons with anything?

Thanks

No real need to level your Motorhome, you wont be using fridge while in storage and if it is off level the water will run off the roof , so I don't see a need to put jack down.

jeff64 12-19-2015 10:47 AM

Mine sits on 2.x12s, on blacktop, somewhat level with the stabilizers up. Dealer serv mgr said don't cover it, leave roof vents open since the maxair covers are on it