Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Exterior Maintenance | Roofs, Sealing, Covers & Vents (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f227/)
-   -   slide out toppers YEA or NEA (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f227/slide-out-toppers-yea-or-nea-97931.html)

muddyrode 12-16-2015 12:17 PM

slide out toppers YEA or NEA

slide out toppers YEA or NEA.
pro and cons please, who uses them and who does not and why?

thanks

Dave Lyon 12-16-2015 12:57 PM

Yea for sure. They provide shade for the top of slide, they keep it clean, no leaves and debris inside the camper rotting in between trips, plus additional rain protection.

Dodge Guy 12-16-2015 01:01 PM

12 years and 2 trailers with slides and never once did I wish I had them. the only time I had anything on the slide was after a storm. a couple minutes with a hose and it was clean. and on my current trailer I have 2 skylights in the slide out, so an awning would cover them. not necessary in my opinion.

Black 12-16-2015 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lyon (Post 1058005)
Yea for sure. They provide shade for the top of slide, they keep it clean, no leaves and debris inside the camper rotting in between trips, plus additional rain protection.

Same here, would not buy a trailer without them !

ependydad 12-16-2015 01:38 PM

There are distinct schools of thoughts on toppers:
  • Have had them and will always have them (equally split with the never had/no reason)
  • Have never had them and see no reason for them (equally split with the have had and always will have)
  • Have had them and won't again (rare, but it happens)

I fall into the first category. Have had them and appreciate having them. I won't go without.

Auscon 12-16-2015 01:42 PM

I think it really depends on the area you will be camping. I camp in an area that is covered with trees. If I did not have a slide topper on I would be constantly cleaning needles and other junk that falls off the trees. But if you are in an area that does not have that much you could get away with it. Like everything in comes down to $$$. You could spend money and not have to clean the slide when you bring it in or save them and clean the slide. JMHO

5picker 12-16-2015 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ependydad (Post 1058035)
  • Have had them and will always have them (equally split with the never had/no reason)
  • Have never had them and see no reason for them (equally split with the have had and always will have)

I fall into the first category. Have had them and appreciate having them. I won't go without.

^^X2^^
We ordered our new unit with them.
Our last 5th wheel didn't have from new but it didn't take long to add for all the reasons mentioned.

Blackhat6mike 12-16-2015 01:50 PM

I have them and find them very useful, otherwise, I have to carry a fold up ladder to clean off the leaves and/or pine straw. If not cleaned off before rolling the slide in, the trash comes with it.
I can assure you seagull poop does not fall off once it is deposited on top of a slide. I would rather have it rolled up outside than splattered all over the top of the slide and inside.

Iwritecode 12-16-2015 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ependydad (Post 1058035)

I'm in the second category. Although my slides go out in April and don't come in until October, so I don't have to worry about what's on top of them quite as much as others. They get cleaned off along with my roof a few times a year.

Scubanut 12-16-2015 02:19 PM

Lots of advantages, two that quickly come to mind is the topper will provide shade so in theory should help the AC in cooling your trailer. The other is to keep the water and dirt out of your slide seals. I think there a good investment. I never sweep the topper off, when I pull in the slide the dirt falls off as it retracts.
No cons that I can think of other then some flapping noise when windy.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73

2012Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)