Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles, Hitches & Toads (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Best gas 3/4 ton TV to pull 7000lb TT (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/best-gas-3-4-ton-tv-to-pull-7000lb-tt-98198.html)

Mo 1954 12-22-2015 09:49 AM

Best gas 3/4 ton TV to pull 7000lb TT

I have a Ram 5.7 1/2 ton and want to upgrade to 3/4 ton truck. I am pulling a 7000lb Flagstaff 27RLWS TT. Current TV is close to its payload limit and with 3.55 gears seems to be in 3rd and 4th gears alot. will a Ram 6.4 with 3.73 gears be an easier pull or a Ford 6.2 with 3.73 gears work better.
Thanks

chicagoslick 12-22-2015 09:57 AM

I pull my 27RLWS with a 2015 Ford F150, 3.5 Ecoboost. No problems. Prior to that I pulled mine with a Yukon Denali (look at picture...I need to update that).

Why do you think you need a 3/4 ton truck?

The Big Toe 12-22-2015 10:09 AM

My buddy has Super Duty and HD Trucks laying around all over the place with gas motors at his Mechanic Garage.

Reason why? They ain't worth fixing.

If you're going the HD route, then get a Diesel. All of them are pretty darn good these days.... The Cummins in the Fiat, the Isuzu in the GM and the Ford in the Ford.

But all of them are also expensive as heck.

The new 1/2 Tons are pretty stout from Ford. Not too bad from GM or Fiat, either.

Rear End ratio don't tell me anything unless I know the transmission it's connected to. The new 6 Speeds are a whole different ball game from the old 4 speeds. Not even on the same Planet.

You have the transmission Gear Ratio and then the final drive gear ratio. Combine the two and we have something.

If you set your 1/2-Ton up for towing with airbags/supersprings and a sway bar, you should have no problem pulling your trailer at all. Even if you don't, you should still be fine with a properly equipped 1/2-Ton from the Factory.

Just be careful. People that expect to attach a 7-10,000lb trailer and drive it around like they're on a trip to the grocery store crack me up....... People, you've gone from a people-hauler to a Big Rig. You need to be cautious, take your time and plan your trip.

If you're set on getting a HD/SD setup, go for it. Just do yourself a favor and get the Diesel.

If you're not dead set, then shop judiciously.

Eltonnoland 12-22-2015 10:30 AM

I was pulling a 35' 7000# dry tt with a 1/2 ton Chevy with 5.3 liter and 323 or close to that with no problem in horsepower. Upgraded to 3/4 Chevy 6.0 gas with 373 to eliminate sway. It did a great job but got 7.5 mpg towing, 16 empty.

ryand 12-22-2015 10:31 AM

I went from a 1500 ram and towed 7100# for about 4 years. Moved up to the 3/4 6.4L hemi and could not be happier. Nearly the same MPG as the smaller truck. Our 1500 was overloaded on payload nearly every trip. Granted, I never had major issues but we asked too much of it. Sure you can buy a 1/2 ton that will fit the numbers...but there is no comparing the stability of a HD platform regardless of engine type. If you think you need a larger truck, you likely do. 100K warranty on the ram power train and honestly it can be had cheaper than most current 1/2 tons that are properly configured for towing what you need.

Either the ford or ram would fit your needs.

Mo 1954 12-22-2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryand (Post 1062130)
I went from a 1500 ram and towed 7100# for about 4 years. Moved up to the 3/4 6.4L hemi and could not be happier. Nearly the same MPG as the smaller truck. Our 1500 was overloaded on payload nearly every trip. Granted, I never had major issues but we asked too much of it. Sure you can buy a 1/2 ton that will fit the numbers...but there is no comparing the stability of a HD platform regardless of engine type. If you think you need a larger truck, you likely do. 100K warranty on the ram power train and honestly it can be had cheaper than most current 1/2 tons that are properly configured for towing what you need.

Either the ford or ram would fit your needs.

I m new to this and I guess I am trying to error on the side of safety as far as going 3/4 to stay within payload limits, and just wondering how much better the 6.4l does compared to the 5.7 l and if the gear ratio matters that much between 3.73 and 4.10s As I saw one I liked but it had the 3.73s

ryand 12-22-2015 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo 1954 (Post 1062143)
I m new to this and I guess I am trying to error on the side of safety as far as going 3/4 to stay within payload limits, and just wondering how much better the 6.4l does compared to the 5.7 l and if the gear ratio matters that much between 3.73 and 4.10s As I saw one I liked but it had the 3.73s

I like you had concerns about the safety...after all i put my family in the truck. From experience, the 6.4 has a easier time getting the load moving. It is a gas motor and will rev high pulling on the interstate. After getting up to speed, the truck stays for the most part locked in 5th at cruising speed. It will kick down to 4th to pull a hill or similar but rarely any lower. Granted I am not in the mountains. the diff in the gearing is in the towing number and MPG. The tow rating for the 4.10 I believe for a CC 4x4 is 15k and for the 3.73 it is 12.5k. the payload is not affected. The payload number for my truck is just over 3k. Thats a lot of extra room in the bed even with a 1k trailer tounge weight.

here is a small write up i did after comparing the old vs new
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-93712.html

The Big Toe 12-22-2015 11:04 AM

I'm just trying to help so I won't post anymore on the topic.

But try this one on for size --

2014 Ram 2500 6.4L HEMI Review: Car Reviews

The Verdict:

A weak powertrain wrapped in an excellent package, this new 6.4L HEMI powered Ram has its strengths and weaknesses. If you’re not looking for the ultimate tow vehicle, than this truck can save you some cash. But let’s be honest for a second. Who is going to buy a Ram HD and not pull big trailers? Who wants a heavy-duty pickup that feels like it can barely get the job done? If you’re bank account is looking scarce, this is a viable option. But from one truck guy to another: spring for the diesel. You won’t regret it.

BT:
Take your time. Shop. Learn. Learn. Then learn some more.

Make it fun instead of torture. Enjoy yourself. There's lots and lots of Car Salesmen out there that want you to like them right now.

Ford? Government Motors? Fiat? What have any of them ever done for you? You owe none of them anything. Nothing.

Mr Havercamp 12-22-2015 11:06 AM

You want the 4:10 gear over the 3:73. The mileage difference is negligible. The performance difference is noticeable. With a 7 or 8 K trailer you should be able to lose the WDH also. Just drop it on the ball and go. My WD has sat in the shed since I started buying 3/4 ton trucks. It's nice to throw the canoe or kayaks on top and 3 coolers full in the bed along with a face cord of wood, and not even think twice about it.

goduc 12-22-2015 11:09 AM

Any of the big 3 3/4 tons will be better than the 1500. Even though the 5.7 puts out some good power it's still a 1/2 ton. 1/2 tons will never be as good as 3/4 tons. They may do fine, but 3/4 tons will do better.
3/4 tons will have better brakes, suspension, frame, etc. That along with being heavier they will provide a more stable platform to tow with.
Do let those guys with 1/2 tons tell you that their trucks tow as well as 3/4 tons. It's just not that easy.
I've towed a past TT with both and the 3/4 ton is far more stable. You would do just fine with 3.73s and a 3/4 ton with your TT. Anyone that says get a diesel is not spending your money for you very wisely. A diesel is total overkill for a 7000lb TT.
JMO here but you really need to go drive all 3, GM, Ram and Ford. They will all do fine. IMO it's more about butt feel and overall handling and driver ergonomics than anything else. If going with diesels then that's a totally different game.

And you still absolutely need a WDH. Look at the receiver rating. Most receivers have a WD, non WD rating. With a 7000-8000lb TT your tongue weight will be in the 850-950lb range. That will remove significant weight form the front of the truck. You need to restore that weight. Whether you go with sway control is up to you. But getting a WD is a requirement.