Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical, Charging Systems & Solar (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f218/)
-   -   Best price on Honda generators? (http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f218/best-price-on-honda-generators-98829.html)

ependydad 01-04-2016 05:09 PM

Best price on Honda generators?

I'm planning on picking up a single Honda 2000 generator for now. My night in the cold at the winery kind of sucked, so I'd like to be better prepared for cold overnights.

Anyway.. suggestions for a place to buy? And possible "best price" that I should be able to find/negotiate to?

Todouble 01-04-2016 05:38 PM

Just saw Home Depot online has it on sale for $ 899. Reg $ 999

But the one with the 30 amp Rv plug is still $1099. Not sure which one your looking for

Kenny kustom 01-04-2016 05:40 PM

You mentioned, you had only a single battery.

Perhaps a second one?
That should get you through the night with the furnace.

( not against a genny, just spit balling)

I actually had a pair of brand new Trojan J185H-AC batteries fall into my lap this afternoon.
Paid $350 cdn for them. ( $250usd)

Not exactly what I was after or had in mind.... But couldn't turn them down at that price.

Now just need to find a place to put them!

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

emm-dee 01-04-2016 05:47 PM

Electricgeneratordepot.com always seems to have comparable or better prices, and no shipping charge or sales tax. The tax alone would save 55-65 bucks over Home Depot for a single generator.

gectisme 01-04-2016 05:52 PM

My buddy got one from here so he wouldn't have to deal with gasoline:
Generators for Portable Power or Home Backup Power

ependydad 01-04-2016 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny kustom (Post 1071181)
You mentioned, you had only a single battery.

Perhaps a second one?
That should get you through the night with the furnace.

Now just need to find a place to put them!

Good thought, but...

You hit the nail on the head with my biggest beef with our Sabre basements. We have 2 decent battery box areas, but without a bunch of work- you can't add extra batteries to them.

I want the generators looking forwards to summer when I'll add a second generator to the mix and hope to be able to run the A/C.

Quote:

Originally Posted by todouble
Just saw Home Depot online has it on sale for $ 899. Reg $ 999

But the one with the 30 amp Rv plug is still $1099. Not sure which one your looking for

I couldn't find the same model # on the Home Depot site. They were close, but just different enough to scare me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by emm-dee (Post 1071185)
Electricgeneratordepot.com always seems to have comparable or better prices, and no shipping charge or sales tax. The tax alone would save 55-65 bucks over Home Depot for a single generator.

They're cheaper by $100 than I've found anywhere else ($999 for the EU2000i and $1,049 for the Companion).

Quote:

Originally Posted by gectisme (Post 1071187)
My buddy got one from here so he wouldn't have to deal with gasoline:
Generators for Portable Power or Home Backup Power

That's pretty neat. I wouldn't mind if there was a way to run it on diesel as then I'd only have a single fuel that I need to carry. I only have the 2 x 30 lb. propane tanks and I already have enough issues with running myself out. :D

Flybob 01-04-2016 06:32 PM

Try Mayberrys and Speedwaysales. Best prices and free shipping.

Kenny kustom 01-04-2016 06:33 PM

I'm going to look at putting them right where the factory one is.
Maybe another box towards the back. ( there is a knockout. )

Or build my own dual box.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

ependydad 01-04-2016 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybob (Post 1071227)
Try Mayberrys and Speedwaysales. Best prices and free shipping.

Thanks, I'll look them up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny kustom (Post 1071228)
I'm going to look at putting them right where the factory one is.
Maybe another box towards the back. ( there is a knockout. )

Or build my own dual box.

I didn't realize that there was already a second knockout- but even getting the battery into it is going to be a real pain since the floor doesn't lift the whole back back to it.

Kenny kustom 01-04-2016 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ependydad (Post 1071231)
Thanks, I'll look them up.

I didn't realize that there was already a second knockout- but even getting the battery into it is going to be a real pain since the floor doesn't lift the whole back back to it.

Since the Trojans are so tall, I'm going to have to cut the floor, and build a new top to cover and vent.

Not ideal, but it will work, and saved me a bunch of cash.

I'll use them for the summer, then see what lithium pricing is doing.

The minister of finance pretty much freaked out on me, when I told her all about the inverter, lithium batteries, solar panels, charge controller.....
She tightened up her purse strings.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS