Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2017, 10:49 PM   #1

Sandpiper

A year ago my wife and I decided to make the leap from an Outback travel trailer to a 2017 Sandpiper fifth wheel. This was a huge purchase for us and we were really excited, but that's about where it stopped for us. Over the past year we have had problem after problem with the coach it feels like every time we take it out something else goes wrong. We hardly ever had any issues with our first two keystone travel trailers, but I'm so disappointed in this fifth wheel I can't even express it. Are fifth wheels made for traveling and if so has anyone else had continuous problems out of their sandpiper or any forest river products? Looking for some advice on whether to keep it or cut my loses and move on.
MFR560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:16 AM   #2

Mostly good other than a few issues that the factory is going to fix. I have a Sierra which is the same camper with different colors. What kind of issues?
Old 10-03-2017, 08:22 PM   #3

The list is extremely long. We've had issues with the floor it's been replaced and worked on four times, the metal skirting around the edge, issues with the refrigerator, seals around the slides, battery issues, hydraulic stabilizers and slide issues, the walls are starting to separate in the bunk room and in the closest in the bedroom the wall separated coming back from the beach, the front painted cap is so thinly applied it's got a several paint chips, soft self closing draws, and other issues I can't even think of right now. The suspension doesn't seem to be very road worthy every time we come back something else is broke. I just haven't been impressed at all with mine and I feel like I'm spending more money repairing it than anything. The warranty is up and our local dealer isn't concerned with quality repairs either so it's been an overall horrible experience. It's been in the shop more the past 14 months than I've had in my possession.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:13 PM   #4

I'm sorry that you have had such a frustrating experience. I think that if I was in your shoes I would sell. Camping is about fun, relaxation and enjoyment. I can't speak from experience, as I have had great units thus far, not without some issues, but I am always happy to go camping.

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47,[B]2017:41
2018: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=3, Apr=2, May=7, June=5, July=15, Aug=1,Sept=2,
Running Total:232
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigpdx View Post
I'm sorry that you have had such a frustrating experience. I think that if I was in your shoes I would sell. Camping is about fun, relaxation and enjoyment. I can't speak from experience, as I have had great units thus far, not without some issues, but I am always happy to go camping.

Selling is a hassle as well and when I start reading reviews of other units we would be interested in they have issues as well. I think rv quality is down across the board in general not saying there aren't great units out there, because I had one before this one just wasn't the floor plan we enjoyed. I think I selling and buying again would result in another year of in the shop working kinks out. I'm to stubborn to sell and get out of camping though so I will complain but not have a unit for camping. Thanks for the reply.

Tags
sandpiper