Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2017, 09:53 PM   #1

FORESTER, E-450 mods to reduce engine heat on feet

Has anyone made a modification to help reduce the amount of engine heat from the dog house in the E-450 cab?
There is excessive floor board heat on the passenger side.
Don't know if there is something that can be placed under or over the rubber flooring that will help to reduce the heat.
Thanks for any suggestions... but only if you have done something or know of something someone else has done.
BIKERMHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKERMHA View Post
Has anyone made a modification to help reduce the amount of engine heat from the dog house in the E-450 cab?
There is excessive floor board heat on the passenger side.
Don't know if there is something that can be placed under or over the rubber flooring that will help to reduce the heat.
Thanks for any suggestions... but only if you have done something or know of something someone else has done.
I haven't done anything permanent, but during one hot trip we put some old towels on the floor for extra insulation. Floor mats would help. Carpets would be better.

There are several products made for heat and sound insulation that you could add to the underfloor and doghouse. If you are ambitious, you could remove the floor mats and add it to the floor. I just put some in an old car I am restoring. The brand I used is Hushmat. It's a rubbery sheet with a foil cover and adhesive backing. You cut it with scissors to fit, remove the paper from the adhesive, and press it into place. They sell it in a number of sizes and quantities so you can match your needs. I bought it on Amazon. There are other brands, but Hushmat claims to be the easiest to install. They also claim to supply auto/truck manufacturers. It looks like the stuff inside the E450 doghouse.

https://hushmat.com/?gclid=CIqZw6Gdv9ICFY2LswodxPYPsw
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:32 AM   #3

Thermo Tec Cool It Suppressor Acoustical Heat Control Mat.
Lined the doghouse in our 2012 Ford Lexi 3 years ago. Major difference in the heat at floor level, and cut back on sound.
Available on Amazon. You'l need the 36 x 60 size to do the doghouse, with enough left over to line the floors under the rubber mats.
The dog house already has a formed heat barrier thaqt removes in one piece. You can line the doghouse with the Thermo Tec, and then put the original liner back on over it.
Be advised, the stuff is SUPER STICKY. Once it's down, its down...you can't reposition it. Also, because of the compound shape/curves on the doghouse, you have to apply the Thermo Tec in pieces, rather than in one piece.
A bit of work, but it does work. Took me about 2 hours to properly cut and position the pieces.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:15 PM   #4
Site Team

We added a Lloyds Carpet floor mat to our E-450. It is a one piece carpet that covers both floor boards and loops around the doghouse. It reduced both the heat and noise and looks a lot better than the black rubber flooring.

I ordered it thru AutoAnything. Here is the info from their website:

2014 Ford E-450 Super Duty - 1 Pc Front - Slim Line Console - Saddle
AA SKU3569317
Part #LU4|3302280|L4204||782||||||||
SizeLU04

Note when ordering on line a lot of websites stop listing E-450's at 2014 when Ford quit making the passenger version. For things like carpet there is no difference between a 2014 and our 2016 chassis so just look for a 2014 if necessary.

This isn't a good as a full floor lining but it was very easy to install and looks great...
Old 03-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #5

Hi Red! Did that make a difference? As the person usually in the passenger seat, I'd like to be a little less warm and grumpy when we arrive. Would be great if this did the trick!
Lynlanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynlanning View Post
Hi Red! Did that make a difference? As the person usually in the passenger seat, I'd like to be a little less warm and grumpy when we arrive. Would be great if this did the trick!
Yes, it helped quite a bit...and we live in Georgia so you can tell. This will not work as well as a full lining with a quality under mat insulator package. But it was a very quick and easy mod that made the cab floor cooler and looks better than the black rubber mats as well...

EDIT: Just a note on Lloyds mats. Llloyds are a much better made, thicker, fuller carpeting than the cheap "floor mats" sold at discount stores. That is the big reason they work so well to reduce noise and heat...
Old 03-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
We added a Lloyds Carpet floor mat to our E-450. It is a one piece carpet that covers both floor boards and loops around the doghouse. It reduced both the heat and noise and looks a lot better than the black rubber flooring.

AA SKU3569317
SizeLU04

Note when ordering on line a lot of websites stop listing E-450's at 2014 when Ford quit making the passenger version. For things like carpet there is no difference between a 2014 and our 2016 chassis so just look for a 2014 if necessary.

This isn't a good as a full floor lining but it was very easy to install and looks great...
Wayne,

Could not find it on AutoAnything as they do not list a E450 for any year. However, I was debating to go with a carpet upgrade or not. We did have to wipe out the driver and passenger compartments on a number of occasions due to mud we picked up from the places we visited. So rubber mats might be what we need although carpet would keep the noise and heat down better.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:51 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
Wayne,

Could not find it on AutoAnything as they do not list a E450 for any year. However, I was debating to go with a carpet upgrade or not. We did have to wipe out the driver and passenger compartments on a number of occasions due to mud we picked up from the places we visited. So rubber mats might be what we need although carpet would keep the noise and heat down better.
I pulled the info I posted off their website but they may have changed it again. Just call them and give them their SKU# AA SKU3569317 and you should be able to order it. You can also list a E-350 as there is no difference as far a these carpets.

As far as cleaning I just take our Dyson, that FR so nicely provided , and all the stuff vacuums right up. I've used Lloyds Mats in several cars and SUV's and have not had a problem keeping them clean...even with our red Georgia clay...
Old 03-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #9
Citrus County, Fl.

Wayne, do you have any pictures? Would love to see how it looks installed.

Also, not to the thread but are you guys going to Bamaganza? If not I think we will see you at the Peach Frog Rally in June.

Bill
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Wayne, do you have any pictures? Would love to see how it looks installed.

Also, not to the thread but are you guys going to Bamaganza? If not I think we will see you at the Peach Frog Rally in June.

Bill
Bill,

I just dropped off the GTS at my dealer yesterday so it may be awhile before I can get you a real picture. I've attached the drawing off the website of what they look like... Our mat is the "coffee" color...

We will be at the Peach Rally and possibly Bamaganza...
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #11

That illustration looks nothing like my E450 2014 chassis Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	132774

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:10 PM   #12

Quote:

AA SKU3569317

SizeLU04

What color did you get to try and match the seats?

Old 03-31-2017, 12:28 PM   #13
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJcachers View Post
That illustration looks nothing like my E450 2014 chassis Attachment 132774
Looks similar to our 2016 but we have no heat or sound prob
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:58 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJcachers View Post
What color did you get to try and match the seats?
I went with the Tan or Coffee color depending on whose website you're on... It contrasts / matches the tan doors, dash and the new "dirty" look ultra leather...

I suspect that is the Ford "SlimLine" optional console you have pictured. Believe it or not the bottom "foot print" for the carpet is the same as my standard console...
Old 03-31-2017, 11:00 PM   #15

Quote:
I went with the Tan or Coffee color depending on whose website you're on... It contrasts / matches the tan doors, dash and the new "dirty" look ultra leather...

I suspect that is the Ford "SlimLine" optional console you have pictured. Believe it or not the bottom "foot print" for the carpet is the same as my standard console...

Can you post a picture of your console and carpet/mat?

Old 04-01-2017, 06:34 AM   #16
Site Team

I will as soon as I get it back from the dealer...

Tags
forester