Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2007, 10:16 AM   #1

What a mess!!! (Anyone know how to fix a deadbolt lock?)

Was planning to do a “test run” at home with the 25RS this weekend….
After work on Friday, mowed the lawn quick, set-up the fire pit in the backyard, started prepping the trailer (slides out, plugged in to power, misc…)

Something malfunctioned in the rear door deadbolt, with the door open, and I could not retract the bolt with the interior knob, or even fully insert the key from the outside to ‘unlock’ the open door. Wasn’t going to let that ruin the night, so removed the entire lock/latch assembly from the door, so that the door could be closed, and I moved onto the next project…

The water system was still winterized, so I needed to flush and sanitize that yet. I was hopeful to have running water, and the family was excited to have a flush toilet. Hooked up to the house water and opened the valve a bit. Family was inside, enjoying the trailer, and the wife was investigating the lock problem as I was doing this.

BOOM, one of the kitchen faucet handles blows off, spraying anti-freeze all over the place, made quite a mess by the time I got water turned off.

So now we’ve got a problem lock, and a broken faucet, nice…
After calming children, the wife helps clean up and the family decides to go ‘camp out’ in the house.

I stayed up until ~2am cleaning and working on it. I never could get the handle installed correctly on the fixture and gave up. Short trip to the ‘home store’ in the morning and we now have an improved kitchen faucet (brass, not cheap plastic). I I did have the deadbolt fixed before I turned in for the night.

Saturday night everything was looking up, and we did enjoy a night of camping in the yard.

Yesterday, washed and waxed the exterior, and as I was closing up for the night, the deadbolt ‘locked-up’ again!!! This time in the un-locked position, so I can’t lock it. Can’t turn it using the inside knob, or even fully insert the key from the outside (same malfunction as the first time).

Anyone else have any deadbolt problems?
Think I should just try to get a replacement latch/lock assembly from FR?
Can just the lock portion of the deadbolt be replaced on these (I think that’s where the problem is)?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:50 AM   #2

Making a little online progress on my deadbolt issue…

I may get out a big hammer when I get home tonight!
(didn’t see this thread on my earlier searches)

Also found this thread on rv.net, which led me to a place for purchasing what looks to be an exact replacement.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:32 PM   #3

I had this happen once on my previous TT. I disassembled it and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Never lock up again.

Amazing what a search will bring up. Did you end up purchasing a new latch assy.?
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:12 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Well I was stumped, but ws very interested in the link info... something I'll watch out for from now on. Thanks!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:25 PM   #5

Made a little progress earlier online/phone, but didn’t get a chance to update this thread.
The FIC latches on my trailer stand for: Fastec Industrial Corp.
Small wonder, but Fastec has facilities in Elkhart, IN.

Called into the FIC company to describe the situation and see if this is a common problem based on the other online info I found.
Number : 574-266-9373 (link to PDF with info and other contacts)

Basics:
1) you can have a lock re-cored, but they will only allow this thru a locksmith, and it will requires a special tool.
2) you can purchase an entire new complete latch assembly (everything, including new keys) for ~$30 shipped, and you can specify the key codes you need to match.

I was thinking #2 was going to be my best option, until I got home and tried to tap a key into the ‘frozen’ lock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV.net thread
"For some reason the newer locks let you remove the key in the horizontal position which can jam the lock. Make sure you only remove the key when it is in the vertical position. If it becomes jammed put the key in as far as it will go and tap the end with a hammer until it goes in all the way. Move to vertical position and remove key."
It worked!!! The lock is again operation, but if it continues to fail, I now have an affordable source for suitable replacement.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:45 PM   #6

WOW...... I am going to take my key out in the horizontal position from now on.......Thanks for the links and tips mn308.

I haven't had the luxury of having my tap burst like yours did.....was it working before you put it away? I wonder what the cause would be for that happening.

MrSen

Night's camped in 2010 36
MrSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:08 AM   #7

Luxury ??!?

I’ve come to call the incident ‘the foamy pink faucet geyser’….
I’ve mostly gotten over it, as the faucet is not only repaired, but upgraded with better equipment.
Only thing still bothering me is that it kind of ruined the night for the rest of the family.

This was the first time it had ever been used.
When I took delivery (Nov/Dec last year) the system was already winterized.
During inspection, I noticed a problem with the existing faucet.
One of the Techs said, ‘No problem, I’ll just grab a new one and put it in”.
They didn’t have one in stock, so he pulled one from a new Roo that was on the lot, and installed it in my 25RS.
Tech: “Good you noticed that, not only are we taking care of it now, but you get the newer style faucet too…”
It wasn’t a problem with the installation, as the handle actually came off of the fixture.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:16 AM   #8

It's probably a little late now but do you know what kind of water pressure you had going into the rig. Did you have a regulator on. Sometimes the home water pressure can be more than RV's can handle. You probably want to get a pressure regulator for the road. Preferably one with a gauge. 45lbs is about the max you want inside. At leaset you didn't leave the water running and overflow the tub like I did on our second trip. I still hear about that.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_308 View Post
Luxury ??!?
I’ve come to call the incident ‘the foamy pink faucet geyser’….

On my kitchen sink faucet I had the plastic "nut" that holds the faucet to the base itself break while on a trip. I couldn't find a replacement anywhere for the darn thing. That made washing the dishes interesting. I would hold the faucet in the base while the boss lady would turn the water off and on. Let go once right before she turned it on and water went everywhere . When we got home I made a mold out of duct tape and a dowel. I placed the broken "nut" in the mold with the dowel through the hole and then filled the mold with JB Weld. Let it cure for a few days, took it out of the mold, sanded it down to a close proximity of a circle, spray painted it white and it's been on ever since, almost a year now.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:03 PM   #10

Hey, Aintgotnun, just re-read you post, and wanted to say good job on your fix!

Duct tape - Check
JB Weld - Check

Only thing missing is spraying a little WD40 on something, and you would have used all of the handyman's secret weapons!!!
Old 05-28-2007, 04:38 PM   #11

We had a similar problem. I went for a walk while the DW was asleep. I locked the door from the outside and later on called her on the Cell. She said she could not open the door. I thught OK.. What did you do now. Got back to the 5er and unlocked the door. Tried it a couple of times and it forze up on me a couple of times. Didn't know what caused the problem, so now I have some idea. Thanks for the info.

Something about the water pressure. Most RV's will handle up to 60psi. Campground water pressure can be low or high, so you need a regulator. If you get one from Wally world it will not give you a enough through put but if you order this one, Watts 263A Adjustable Regulator; range of
10-125 psi, 2" 0-160 gauge, from http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Pr...Regulators.htm you can set the pressure at what ever you want. I set mine at 50psi. It gives me enough pressure to take a shower. The shotgun type have a small orifice while the 263A has a much larger orifice.

FWIW
BC
Safe travels and may God Bless
txbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:15 PM   #12

that's a pretty slick regulator. do you have the gauge on yours?

might have to look into one of those
Old 05-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #13

OK duh, just reread you post. You do have the reg.

I gotta work on this reading thing