Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2019, 01:26 PM   #21

I carry a Masterbuilt Electric Bullet. Being electric I don't have to worry about a flame of any kind. I have just used it once and learned that unlike my big smoker at home I need to watch the water level closer. It ran dry on me but it works well.
pdgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #22

I'm getting this.

https://store.grillagrills.com/colle...d-pellet-grill

I already have the larger Grilla Silverbac. It's awesome. Better quality and less money than GMG and Traeger
MattCrecelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:10 PM   #23

Another vote for the GMG Davey Crockett. Is great and you can monitor the grill with your iPhone.
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:30 PM   #24
Erinn

Absolutely! We have a large Traeger pellet smoker/grill at home, so bought a "baby one" for the RV - Only $300 & we absolutely love it!!
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:31 PM   #25

I'm a fan of the Masterbuilt electric smokers. The 30" digital electric is small enough to carry easily, but can still squeeze a couple of packer briskets (cut in half), several pork shoulders, or a bunch of ribs. I use an MES40 at home and we have smoked something once or twice a week. A smoked rib-eye is a treat! Start it with a low temp (180 or so) and your favorite smoke chips (I like pecan) until the internal temp is about 120, then sear it on the grill!
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunseekerFunseekers View Post
Absolutely! We have a large Traeger pellet smoker/grill at home, so bought a "baby one" for the RV - Only $300 & we absolutely love it!!
X2
TandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #27
Was

I have an electric bullet smoker for camping. It’s portable and works good enough,. Meats taste great and as a bonus we get to smell them smoking all day. Big gas smoker at home is better, but to big and heavy to bring camping.
Was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #28

We have the Traeger 'Ranger' pellet grill, fits in the front of the 5th wheel. Used it for 4 months this winter in TX, was perfect!
TandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:57 PM   #29

I have 4 smokers. Two I use while camping the others are not really mobile but I use them in competitions...for fun.

Easiest and first on my list is the GMG Davy Crockett. Someone said it has a pellet alarm, mine does not but maybe new ones do. My Jim Bowie does but you will not take that camping. It is most versital and small enough to take anywhere. Buy the shelf as well. I use it for smoking grilling and as an oven. Legs do suck but they work. I like that I can set a profile via phone to adjust the temp based on the meat probe temp and walk away. If there is campground wifi you can watch from your phone too. If you leave more than 4hrs you will want to fill the hopper. It had a hotspot that I was able to figure out by adjusting the burner box and now it works great for all uses for me. AC and DC powered works good on all. Extra bonus is you can power a car fridge at home with the DC adaptor. This is my go to for camping.

Second on the list is the Weber smoky mountain. This is charcoal and messy so I put it in the back of the truck. They make a 14" which I think is too small, a 18" that is goldielox size and a 22.5" that I have. No power required and I use this when cooking for larger groups or no power. I can put 20lbs of charcoal on this thing and cook for 18h-20hrs with little to no thought if temps are above 50. For being as thin as it is it holds temp very well and is very steady once you know how to work the vents and adjust for wind. Breaks down to 3 pieces for easy carry and transport. I have a temp controller that runs on AC or battery which makes it super easy but don't always use it. I use the Weber if feeding over 15 people. You can grill on it but cannot use the lid if you do.

There is always the good old Weber kettle. These do require you watch and fill coals frequently.

I have used the traeger tailgaiter once as well. It is nice but I have not used it enough to know if there are issues. When I used it nothing major came up. We were watching it so not sure how easy it is to walk away.

Any electric or propane smoker boxes work well (masterbuilt or smoke hallow etc) if you have power and don't need to get too hot. These are set and forget bit single purposed. Save your money and skip the window on these. Only works for the first few cooks before too dirty to use again.

I also have used and DO NOT suggest the Oster Turkey oven smoker. This is electric and takes chips and looks like a Turkey oven with cut off corners for wood chips. It burned the outside of most of the food and did not cook the inside...I will go back to foil lined cardboard boxes before using it again. I do the cardboard boxes every year for scouts.

There are many new pellet grill options now that Traegers patent ran out. I hear there are a few camp chef options that are very nice and can grill as well but have not tried them. It also means that even Walmart carries pellets now.

One comment on wood and camping is many campgrounds (and states for that matter) don't want you transporting wood due to insects. This means you need to find a new source each time you camp somewhere different or break their rules. You cannot always specify the wood species when buying from a campground.

Hope that helps and happy cookin/camping.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:16 PM   #30

I carry a Big Green Egg MiniMax in my Cedar Creek, I have the Large at home
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-ripley View Post
At home we have an The Char-Griller AKORN® Jr. Kamado grill & smoker, it is small enough to take camping and big enough to cook for 4 at one time.
For smoking it will hold a temp around 200-215

I have this also and it is ausome.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
I've been thinking of getting a smoker that is portable enough to take with on camping trips. Does anyone use one?

Upright? Barrel? Electric? Propane? Wood chip? Pellet? Charcoal? Any suggestions - or is it a bad idea?
Fun hobby. I have a Cajun Injector electric. Works well with soaked apple wood chips, temp and timer control. Portable ? Maybe not so much. A year round smoker, well insulated. There are smaller, lighter electric smokers but many have limited or no temp control, ok for fair weather if you don't mind baby sitting it. Most my smoking is done between 160 and 230 °.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_reaves View Post
I'm a fan of the Masterbuilt electric smokers. The 30" digital electric is small enough to carry easily, but can still squeeze a couple of packer briskets (cut in half), several pork shoulders, or a bunch of ribs. I use an MES40 at home and we have smoked something once or twice a week. A smoked rib-eye is a treat! Start it with a low temp (180 or so) and your favorite smoke chips (I like pecan) until the internal temp is about 120, then sear it on the grill!

People might yack it, but I like smoked hamburgers. Don’t laugh if you haven’t tried it.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:16 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
People might yack it, but I like smoked hamburgers. Don’t laugh if you haven’t tried it.
lol...laugh?!?!? im actually smoking burgers right now!
Old 04-28-2019, 04:20 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo20 View Post
lol...laugh?!?!? im actually smoking burgers right now!

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji108][emoji108] PM me one of those babies over!!
Old 04-28-2019, 04:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I have 4 smokers. Two I use while camping the others are not really mobile but I use them in competitions...for fun.

Easiest and first on my list is the GMG Davy Crockett. Someone said it has a pellet alarm, mine does not but maybe new ones do. My Jim Bowie does but you will not take that camping. It is most versital and small enough to take anywhere. Buy the shelf as well. I use it for smoking grilling and as an oven. Legs do suck but they work. I like that I can set a profile via phone to adjust the temp based on the meat probe temp and walk away. If there is campground wifi you can watch from your phone too. If you leave more than 4hrs you will want to fill the hopper. It had a hotspot that I was able to figure out by adjusting the burner box and now it works great for all uses for me. AC and DC powered works good on all. Extra bonus is you can power a car fridge at home with the DC adaptor. This is my go to for camping.

Second on the list is the Weber smoky mountain. This is charcoal and messy so I put it in the back of the truck. They make a 14" which I think is too small, a 18" that is goldielox size and a 22.5" that I have. No power required and I use this when cooking for larger groups or no power. I can put 20lbs of charcoal on this thing and cook for 18h-20hrs with little to no thought if temps are above 50. For being as thin as it is it holds temp very well and is very steady once you know how to work the vents and adjust for wind. Breaks down to 3 pieces for easy carry and transport. I have a temp controller that runs on AC or battery which makes it super easy but don't always use it. I use the Weber if feeding over 15 people. You can grill on it but cannot use the lid if you do.

There is always the good old Weber kettle. These do require you watch and fill coals frequently.

I have used the traeger tailgaiter once as well. It is nice but I have not used it enough to know if there are issues. When I used it nothing major came up. We were watching it so not sure how easy it is to walk away.

Any electric or propane smoker boxes work well (masterbuilt or smoke hallow etc) if you have power and don't need to get too hot. These are set and forget bit single purposed. Save your money and skip the window on these. Only works for the first few cooks before too dirty to use again.

I also have used and DO NOT suggest the Oster Turkey oven smoker. This is electric and takes chips and looks like a Turkey oven with cut off corners for wood chips. It burned the outside of most of the food and did not cook the inside...I will go back to foil lined cardboard boxes before using it again. I do the cardboard boxes every year for scouts.

There are many new pellet grill options now that Traegers patent ran out. I hear there are a few camp chef options that are very nice and can grill as well but have not tried them. It also means that even Walmart carries pellets now.

One comment on wood and camping is many campgrounds (and states for that matter) don't want you transporting wood due to insects. This means you need to find a new source each time you camp somewhere different or break their rules. You cannot always specify the wood species when buying from a campground.

Hope that helps and happy cookin/camping.

If using pellets this doesn’t apply.

I just use a few chunks of what I have for my LP smoker. It just takes a few pieces for me. I suppose to stay in compliance one could smoke some wood pieces and bag them(this killing the bugs) or maybe bake them in the oven if the wife isn’t home.

This assuming you are concerned of the transportation of the wood.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:43 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
If using pellets this doesn’t apply.

I just use a few chunks of what I have for my LP smoker. It just takes a few pieces for me. I suppose to stay in compliance one could smoke some wood pieces and bag them(this killing the bugs) or maybe bake them in the oven if the wife isn’t home.

This assuming you are concerned of the transportation of the wood.
You are correct. Pellets are processed sawdust. Even the bagged chips and chunks should be fine.

I was primarily talking about stick burners for the BBQ purists for the wood transportation problem.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:06 PM   #38

A weber, round, vertical smoker was one of the first items into our rig. We are full-time so, space and weight we’re considerations. We use charcoal and wood. Make many friends. I love “stinking “ up the neighborhood. 🤗
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:13 PM   #39
Site Team - Lou

My GMG Davy Crocket fits perfectly ahead of my 5th wheel hitch in my 6 foot 6 inch "Standard" Chevy bed. It is low enough that the bed cover fits right over it when not towing.

It will cook a 4 rib prime (with room for a side), 2 pork shoulders, or 4 slabs of ribs standing on edge.

Love mine.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:32 PM   #40
Roadrunner7161

I've been smoking meats for many years with every type of smoker. I like them all and every type has their strong points and weaknesses. For rv's, my choice is a pellet smoker.I get all the smoke I need with fantastic results and don't have to baby sit it like with other smokers. A nice unit to check out is the Pit boss tailgater which is small enough to carry in a rv but large enough to hold plenty of meat.for boondocking, I would go with either a wood chip or propane unit.hope this helps.
Roadrunner7161 is offline   Reply With Quote