Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2019, 10:13 AM   #1

Anyone use a smoker?

I've been thinking of getting a smoker that is portable enough to take with on camping trips. Does anyone use one?

Upright? Barrel? Electric? Propane? Wood chip? Pellet? Charcoal? Any suggestions - or is it a bad idea?
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #2

Absolutely!

I have a smaller one that works great. I smoked a brisket for 9-10 hours on less than two 1lb propane bottles.

Mine is a wood chip one, can't remember brand name (off top of my head), but it has two racks and operates on the 1lb propane bottles. Its an upright, and small enough to fit in the front basement where tools and battery are on my 5er.

I've done brisket, bacon wrapped chicken (twice), and used it to heat/cook the ham on Easter.

Love it. Definitely nice to relax at campsite, drink a few beverages of your choice, watch football (or whatever), and just chill.

Mike
Old 04-28-2019, 10:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
I've been thinking of getting a smoker that is portable enough to take with on camping trips. Does anyone use one?

Upright? Barrel? Electric? Propane? Wood chip? Pellet? Charcoal? Any suggestions - or is it a bad idea?
I use the Traeger scout. Works great
swampdonkey772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:36 AM   #4

Smoking is one of my favorite things to do while camping at my seasonal site. However, I’d have to buy a toy hauler if I wanted to take my smoker with me — its massive! Having a smoker (and using it) is sort of like winning the lottery — you make lots of new friends. But that’s okay, because I always have more food than my wife and I could ever eat.

My pellet smoker can also be used as an oven or a grill, so I can use it for anything I want to smoke, bake, roast or grill. Once the temperature gets to 300 degrees, the smoke goes away, so there is no smoke flavor — not even a whiff — when I bake with it. It’s just like an oven in your home.

I am definitely going to follow this thread because I have been looking for the perfect portable pellet smoker for a long time, but I can find nothing that can do everything my current smoker can do.

Bruce
Old 04-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdonkey772 View Post
x2
Old 04-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
x2
Im contemplating doing a brisket next trip but don't know If i want to babysit for that long
Old 04-28-2019, 11:44 AM   #7

At home we have an The Char-Griller AKORN® Jr. Kamado grill & smoker, it is small enough to take camping and big enough to cook for 4 at one time.
For smoking it will hold a temp around 200-215

Black-ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #8

Green mountain grills. Davy Crockett portable pellet grill WiFi edition.
Works with both 12 and 120 volt.
Easily folds up.
Trksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:12 PM   #9

ive got a green mountain grill daniel boone for home. i love the pellet smoker - and surprised honestly by it. i really didnt think i would like it.

im seriously contemplating the davy crockett which is their portable version, but have also been throwing around a mini ceramic kettle.

i think the mini pellet smoker would be more versatile.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:17 PM   #10

Anyone use a smoker?

Another with the GMG Davey Crockett.

Loved it so much we bought the next size up for the house.

Don’t use the gas grill at home or camping any more, just the smokers. Work great for everything from hot dogs to steaks and smoked anything is just great. Carry buckets with the pellets as well for ease of storage etc.

Also meet more people that way since they stop by to see what you are smoking and checking for samples.

Getting ready to fire up the one at home for some pulled pork. Cheaper cuts of meat come out great when smoked low and slow. So save money that way too.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:27 PM   #11
Shelley

We had to return our Traeger Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdonkey772 View Post
We purchased a Traegor Scout. Worked great at home. Took it camping and would no longer work. It would not hold a temperature. This is evidently a common problem. Traegor would send parts to fix, but we decided to return it.
SBurson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBurson View Post
We purchased a Traegor Scout. Worked great at home. Took it camping and would no longer work. It would not hold a temperature. This is evidently a common problem. Traegor would send parts to fix, but we decided to return it.
I've never had a problem with mine.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:30 PM   #13

If you don’t want to nurse it about the only option is to get an electric, LPG or pellet smoker. The pellets and maybe some of the electric might have a thermostat...LP? No.
The electric is prolly gonna be the smallest. I like LP because you don’t need any electric and once you figure the setting to get your temp right you can just check it every 2-3 hours.

Some people swear by their method, but that would be a diffident thread. Smoke on!!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:35 PM   #14

Anyone use a smoker?

The GMG has pretty good thermostat, pellet alarm, etc and will run on 12v or 110. Comes with a hookup to clamp it to a battery and run it that way if needed.

When we bought ours the person we bought from came to campground to show us and had one running in the back of his truck all day on a 12 v battery.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
Another with the GMG Davey Crockett.

Loved it so much we bought the next size up for the house.

Don’t use the gas grill at home or camping any more, just the smokers. Work great for everything from hot dogs to steaks and smoked anything is just great. Carry buckets with the pellets as well for ease of storage etc.

Also meet more people that way since they stop by to see what you are smoking and checking for samples.

Getting ready to fire up the one at home for some pulled pork. Cheaper cuts of meat come out great when smoked low and slow. So save money that way too.
What he said.

Turn it up to 400 and grill steaks and burgers and chops. Best of all worlds, regulated heat plus real wood smoke. I get the cheapo grill cover things, look like cheap expanded metal, thin, and put that on the grates when cooking burgers or steaks.

GMG Davey Crockett. BUT THROW THE LEGS AWAY. Trust me. They're worthless.

It's portable enough I can pick it up and move it. But I don't leave home without it.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #16

i take along a smaller Webber kettle wherever i go. set up as a regular grill for steaks, burgers.... set up as indirect smoker for butts, chic, smoked fish. Very versitile for any type grilling.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post

I use a Traeger, Tailgater.
rwatson908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:50 PM   #18
KJPapa

Another vote here for the GMG Davy Crockett pellet grill. I bought mine specifically to use in my fifth wheel, but it folds up to move so easily that I carry it home when I am there and use it several times a month. Then bake to the fifth wheel when I am traveling.

The temp is very controllable from 150F to 500F so you can smoke, grill, bake, whatever. Smoke is not present at the higher temps so what you bake does not taste smokey. But the smokey flavors at the lower temps are great. I use it with either the Green Mountain or the Traeger pellets, whichever I can find. Have not tried it with any other brand.

What I like about it is I can put the fill the pellet hopper, put the meat on, set the temp go do something else and let it cook. It really does not need to be attended unless you are doing something complicated.
2017-178
kjpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:11 PM   #19

X? for the Green Mountain Davy Crocket pellet smoker. Fully automated operation (if desired) and programmable from a smart phone. Legs fold up to provide a carrying handle. Powered pellet auger and fan hold temperature within about 5 degrees. Meat probe temperature may be used to step through your programmed temperature profile.
DRiveWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:18 PM   #20

I'm going to replace my factory-mounted POS gas grill with a Davey Crockett pellet smoker from Green Mountain Grills. These things kick butt for the size.
https://greenmountaingrills.com/prod...et-grill-wifi/
Countryhb is offline   Reply With Quote