Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 74
Best Ideas on LP Gas Grills/Burners

When we bought our new Sabre fifth wheel it did not come with one of those hang-on-the-side grills or even a connector for an outside grill. We started thinking about getting a connection installed when a friend, who also bought a new Sabre (different model) that had an external connection, mentioned that his grill had a pressure regulator on it and that, and the fact the external line came after the regulator on the trailer LP tanks, caused a very limited flame at his grill.

What is the best way to hook up an external connection - before or after the regulator? Obviously you must have regulation in the line somewhere, but where is the right spot or do all external grills have built-in regulators?

Also, what are the best thoughts on a gas grill that will serve as an external burner for pots and pans as well as having a (removable) grilling surface?

An electric product will not work for us when dry camping.
poodlepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
NWJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Enumclaw, WA
Posts: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlepeople View Post
When we bought our new Sabre fifth wheel it did not come with one of those hang-on-the-side grills or even a connector for an outside grill. We started thinking about getting a connection installed when a friend, who also bought a new Sabre (different model) that had an external connection, mentioned that his grill had a pressure regulator on it and that, and the fact the external line came after the regulator on the trailer LP tanks, caused a very limited flame at his grill.

What is the best way to hook up an external connection - before or after the regulator? Obviously you must have regulation in the line somewhere, but where is the right spot or do all external grills have built-in regulators?

Also, what are the best thoughts on a gas grill that will serve as an external burner for pots and pans as well as having a (removable) grilling surface?

An electric product will not work for us when dry camping.
Having had lots of portable grills, my latest criteria was for stainless steel as it is easier to keep clean. I prefer the little bottles for their convienience but have bought the adapter that allows you to fill them from a larger tank. I don't have to continuously buy new bottles but instead have 3 of them that I rotate through and fill at home as needed. We also just bought a Cameron's Stovetop Smoker that we can use on top of the grill or at home for smoking our food. We have used it several times and it's the best $50 I have spent in a long time. We love it. Great smoky flavor for our steaks, burgers, sausages, you name it.
__________________
"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Central Pa
Posts: 37
I added an external connection.It is after regulator I have a Weber Q took regulator off it and installed a 10' hose with quick connect for gas.Grill works fine.
__________________
Dave&Eileen
bdb2047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 74
Good Idea!

I had not thought about refilling the small bottles. I might still want to do that on the road, however. Is there any problem with overfilling the small bottles from the large LP tanks?
poodlepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Commercial Member
 
huntr70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 435
I use a Coleman Roadtrip grill with the adapter hose to use on my RV tanks.

Love having the interchangeable grills, griddles, and coils for pots/pans.

I don't have a dedicated connection, just unscrew one pigtail from the Rv and use that tank.
__________________
Steve and Vicki
2 kids
2011 Dodge 3500 CTD Outdoorsman
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
NWJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Enumclaw, WA
Posts: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlepeople View Post
I had not thought about refilling the small bottles. I might still want to do that on the road, however. Is there any problem with overfilling the small bottles from the large LP tanks?
Not at all, I have filled many of them with the adaptor. The trick is that you have to put the small bottle in the freezer for about 15 minutes first. It's the temperature differential that really allows the bottle to fill fully otherwise you get about a 1/3 to 1/2 full bottle. There are directions with the adaptor for it's use.
__________________
"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 74
Since seeing your first response, I have looked at several sites discussing this and all say this is easy, safe, and economical. Some even suggested scrounging for empty small bottles in campground trash bins to avoid even the initial purchase! That may be going too far but I get the picture! Thanks.

There is some dispute on the freezer/refrigerator thing and some others talk about releasing the over-pressure valve to get trapped air out but nothing much else except that the main valve may start to leak after many refills. WD-40 was recommended for that on one site. Oh well, nothing lasts forever.

Another interesting side issue is whether this is legal (crossing state lines with refilled bottles, that is). The consensus seems to be that since no one has ever heard of a highway check point for refilled LP gas bottles, this should not be an issue. Another view is that this is an issue for commercial resale only so I guess setting up a side business in campgrounds doing this may be a bad idea.
poodlepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
NWJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Enumclaw, WA
Posts: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlepeople View Post
Since seeing your first response, I have looked at several sites discussing this and all say this is easy, safe, and economical. Some even suggested scrounging for empty small bottles in campground trash bins to avoid even the initial purchase! That may be going too far but I get the picture! Thanks.

There is some dispute on the freezer/refrigerator thing and some others talk about releasing the over-pressure valve to get trapped air out but nothing much else except that the main valve may start to leak after many refills. WD-40 was recommended for that on one site. Oh well, nothing lasts forever.

Another interesting side issue is whether this is legal (crossing state lines with refilled bottles, that is). The consensus seems to be that since no one has ever heard of a highway check point for refilled LP gas bottles, this should not be an issue. Another view is that this is an issue for commercial resale only so I guess setting up a side business in campgrounds doing this may be a bad idea.
Yeah, realistically you can't look at a bottle and tell that it has been refilled. I would think it would be encouraged more. Think of the amount of those bottles out there filling up our landfills. I think those people that are worrying that much about it are just over thinking things.

I would think the intent of the law is that you aren't supposed to buy propane in your state at say $1.69/gal. and transport the containers to the next state and re-sell it where their propane would cost much more due to the state and local taxes there.

I have been refilling mine for over a year now and no problems. Sure is convenient and much cheaper. I just take my 20lb bottle to the farm supply and re-fill it when it runs out and it will keep my little bottles full for the entire year or more. Much cheaper than buying the bottles all the time
__________________
"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:18 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
flyrotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 755
I'm still a huge fan of the Coleman white gas stoves, I have been using two stoves for 7 years now and they have never let me down even once, Usually a pot of coffee brewed on the TT stove (only cause we are not morning people), anything cooked on a griddle is done on the Coleman stoves. My outdoor lanterns are also white gas, they last all week on a small tank of gas. I can easily camp with two stoves and a lantern a whole week on about 1/2 gallon of gas. I don't have any of the multi fuel stoves, but they will burn unleaded which is even cheaper than white gas.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 1,264
I have the "Sidekick grille" that came with my Flagstaff. It does a good job for us, plenty of power/pressure for cooking, and it does hang on the side of the camper, and there is a retractible hose under a cap/cover on the side as well. Easy to set up and use, and the awning overhead is not an issue with heat. The only drawback I see is cleanup after cooking something like Rib-eyes that drip fat. Other than that- Great grille, and you could put a pot on there to cook, I suppose. Randy
__________________
/SIGPIC]'08 V-lite Flagstaff 30WRLS
'06 Ram 1500 QC hemi Reese dual cam sway control,
K&N series 77 intake, Hellwig helper spgs. LT tires,
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
Member
 
Pourme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western N.C.
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
I have the "Sidekick grille" that came with my Flagstaff. It does a good job for us, plenty of power/pressure for cooking, and it does hang on the side of the camper, and there is a retractible hose under a cap/cover on the side as well. Easy to set up and use, and the awning overhead is not an issue with heat. The only drawback I see is cleanup after cooking something like Rib-eyes that drip fat. Other than that- Great grille, and you could put a pot on there to cook, I suppose. Randy
I need a grill in a couple of weeks. I already have the quick disconnect.I was looking at the sidekick at my local camping center. Could you not insert a 'drip' pan somewhere in the bottom, I haven't had a opportunity to examine one for a remedy.I do like everything else I've seen about that particular grill.

Anyone else? Recommendations...?
__________________
"The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else."
Dr. Adrian Rogers

2017 Rockwood Ultra Lite Signature 8289WS
2005 F-250 Super Duty diesel
Pourme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
2Susan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 459
new camp stove

Camp Chef - Camp Chef Expedition 3X Triple Burner Stove Product Demo

So far I really love it. It claims 90,000btu or 30,000 per burner and I believe it. A pot of water for corn came to a full rolling boil in record time. The nifty thing is that you can actually turn the flame way down and get a gentle simmer. Some stoves are all or nothing. It sets up quickly and the pieces (legs and windscreen) are secured to the underside for storage so no loose pieces to lose.

I probably would have gotten a 2 burner model had it been available at the store, but now I`m glad we have the 3 burner unit. We`ve now been to a couple of camping sites where fires are not allowed and keeping the heat outside in the summer seems like a good idea.

The list price on this website says $399 but I got it at Costco for $179. I do not have the grill box or griddle, or carry bag yet. I sew and making a carry bag wouldn`t be that complicated but for the price I might just purchase one instead. My time is worth something after all (grin).
__________________
***** ***** *****
2011 Georgetown 320DS new June 2010
days camped in 2010: 61
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 800
Whatever you do, stay away from the RVQ. I had 1 w/ my Jayco (OEM connection) & was never impressed w/ its performance.
__________________
2017 Chevrolet K2500HD
2009 Rockwood 2106 Mini-Lite

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
Member
 
firedude01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 43
i tried to hook my coleman roadtrip grill to my external line i had a hose made but it doesnt work due to having 2 regulators i couldnt even get enough gas through to lite it .
firedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.