Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2020, 07:30 PM   #181

Yeah, the 17" does too, but I found that the the available travel on the feet was insufficient to properly level the griddle, so I made the wood triangle wedges to use for levelling instead. Much easier and faster!!

I have not experienced the "doming" that you were talking about... is yours one of the older ones that do not have the bracing under the griddle?

I just hope that the Blackstone 22" lives up to the expectations in my mind... because the 17" is awesome... it's just a little small, and only a single burner.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:35 PM   #182

Blackstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
Yeah, the 17" does too, but I found that the the available travel on the feet was insufficient to properly level the griddle, so I made the wood triangle wedges to use for levelling instead. Much easier and faster!!

I have not experienced the "doming" that you were talking about... is yours one of the older ones that do not have the bracing under the griddle?

I just hope that the Blackstone 22" lives up to the expectations in my mind... because the 17" is awesome... it's just a little small, and only a single burner.

Good idea on the triangle shape.

Mine is newer with the bracing. I’m an egg white guy due to a yolk allergy so I use processed egg whites which are extremely runny. I think the silicone rings will solve my problem.

I bought the 22” for doing stir fry meals as I thought the 17” would be too small for that. Boy was I right.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:46 AM   #183
NH Maple Maker

I got a tool kit for Christmas that included 4 stainless egg rings. I haven't had a chance to try them yet so I don't know how they will work but will find out when I can go camping again.

I like my 17" so much that I bought a 28" for the house. I've got to shovel a path to it today so that I can cook the steaks for dinner tonight. I like cooking steaks on my Blackstones better than on the Weber. I can consistently cook them medium rare which I have trouble doing on the Weber.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:54 AM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by russhd1997 View Post
I got a tool kit for Christmas that included 4 stainless egg rings. I haven't had a chance to try them yet so I don't know how they will work but will find out when I can go camping again.
I bought the kit with 2 stainless egg rings. Haven't used them on the BS yet, but we have on the indoor double burner griddle on the stove. Works well enough, not a complete seal so some egg does leak out. Nothing too serious that has slowed down the kids from using them!

I'd like to get silicone ones and compare them...
2006 Dodge RAM 2500 TRX4 Cummins
2011 Cedar Creek Silverback 35K
just4u_cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:16 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
Good idea on the triangle shape.

Mine is newer with the bracing. I’m an egg white guy due to a yolk allergy so I use processed egg whites which are extremely runny. I think the silicone rings will solve my problem.

I bought the 22” for doing stir fry meals as I thought the 17” would be too small for that. Boy was I right.

I've done stir fry on my 17" a couple of times, and you're definitely right, it is cramped. But where there is a will, there is a way

What we use for egg rings is the bands for mason canning jars. Just the right size, just the right price.

In the photo below, you can see the leveling wedges/triangles that I made. They work great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190830_115901.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	223827  

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 02-23-2020, 11:26 AM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
I've done stir fry on my 17" a couple of times, and you're definitely right, it is cramped. But where there is a will, there is a way

What we use for egg rings is the bands for mason canning jars. Just the right size, just the right price.

In the photo below, you can see the leveling wedges/triangles that I made. They work great!

I just finished breakfast and looking at your picture I’m hungry again. [emoji38]
Old 02-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #187

Question for the folks who have gone from the 17 up to the 22:

How does it compare to the 17" heat wise? About the same, or does it get hotter?

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 02-23-2020, 12:27 PM   #188

I can tell you it’s substantially heavier. [emoji3]
Old 02-29-2020, 10:42 PM   #189

Hello all. I've been reading about the Blackstone griddles and this evening my wife and I went to Walmart to look at them. We were thinking about maybe a 22 inch griddle that comes with the stand and hood or the 36 inch model that comes with a hard cover. Of course the biggest we would want for camping is the 22 inch model, but we were thinking of a larger unit for home use only. Up on a shelf was a 28 inch griddle. It is the pro series 3 burner model that also comes with a hood. We inquired about it and they had it priced at 174.00 which is the same price as the 22 inch model with the hood but less than the 2 burner 28 inch model without the hood ($197.00). Long story short, we found out that the 3 burner model was the only one they had in the store and the other 28's were 2 burner models. We made a deal for the 3 burner and ended up paying 156.60 plus tax. Tomorrow we will season it and try it out. The 3 burner model is, I think, capable of 45K btu output. The 2 burner is 30K btu. Don't know if I'll ever need that much heat, but it's nice to know its there. The only drawback I can think of is that the three cooking zones will be a little smaller than the 2 burner model, but I guess those Zones will be roughly the same size as the 4 burner 36 incher. If we end up liking this griddle as much as I hope we do, its only a matter of time till we get a 22 incher for camping.

Don Williams a.k.a. Librarianwhs
Librarianwhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:49 AM   #190
NH Maple Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarianwhs View Post
Hello all. I've been reading about the Blackstone griddles and this evening my wife and I went to Walmart to look at them. We were thinking about maybe a 22 inch griddle that comes with the stand and hood or the 36 inch model that comes with a hard cover. Of course the biggest we would want for camping is the 22 inch model, but we were thinking of a larger unit for home use only. Up on a shelf was a 28 inch griddle. It is the pro series 3 burner model that also comes with a hood. We inquired about it and they had it priced at 174.00 which is the same price as the 22 inch model with the hood but less than the 2 burner 28 inch model without the hood ($197.00). Long story short, we found out that the 3 burner model was the only one they had in the store and the other 28's were 2 burner models. We made a deal for the 3 burner and ended up paying 156.60 plus tax. Tomorrow we will season it and try it out. The 3 burner model is, I think, capable of 45K btu output. The 2 burner is 30K btu. Don't know if I'll ever need that much heat, but it's nice to know its there. The only drawback I can think of is that the three cooking zones will be a little smaller than the 2 burner model, but I guess those Zones will be roughly the same size as the 4 burner 36 incher. If we end up liking this griddle as much as I hope we do, its only a matter of time till we get a 22 incher for camping.

I have the 28" with 2 "H" burners (BJ's online $149 last summer) and it gets hot enough to cook anything that you want on it. Most of the time I have it turned down to the lowest setting so that I don't burn things like eggs and pancakes. I bought the fabric cover for mine and the metal cover was a nice Christmas gift from one of my kids. I also have the 17" with a carry bag for my camper.

I do all of the cooking now when we are camping which I really enjoy. My wife helps out by doing the prep.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:01 PM   #191

Sounds like a great setup. We're thinking of either a 17 or a 22 for camping. We seasoned our 28 incher today and I cooked supper on it. We had thick cut boneless pork chops and home fries mixed with onions and green peppers. All was cooked on the griddle. It worked great and the food was excellent. We love it already.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:21 PM   #192

Sounds like a great setup. We're thinking of either a 17 or a 22 for camping. We seasoned our 28 incher today and I cooked supper on it. We had thick cut boneless pork chops and home fries mixed with onions and green peppers. All was cooked on the griddle. It worked great and the food was excellent. We love it already.

Old 03-01-2020, 10:11 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarianwhs View Post

Grilled the exact same meal today but our chops were thin. [emoji1] What are the chances?
Old 03-07-2020, 10:55 AM   #194

Walmart just put the 22" model with stand and hood on sale for $95
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:12 AM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy-Beast View Post
Walmart just put the 22" model with stand and hood on sale for $95
Thanks for the heads up! Bought another one. No more transporting.
Nights camped: ‘18 - 27, ‘19 - 27, ‘20 - 30, ‘21 - 49

twohand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:47 PM   #196

Low flame

Hey all you ‘stoners! Love my Blackstone. As of today, I now have 2 of the Walmart 22-inch specials... thanks you filthy-beast!

The problem:

The flame on my original started to be constantly low no matter what the burner setting. 20# tank was nearly empty, so I hooked up a fresh tank, but the flame still would not respond to adjustments.

Any ideas or solutions why this is happening? Never had this problem with a regular gas grill.

Cheers!

Old 03-07-2020, 11:17 PM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohand View Post
Hey all you ‘stoners! Love my Blackstone. As of today, I now have 2 of the Walmart 22-inch specials... thanks you filthy-beast!

The problem:

The flame on my original started to be constantly low no matter what the burner setting. 20# tank was nearly empty, so I hooked up a fresh tank, but the flame still would not respond to adjustments.

Any ideas or solutions why this is happening? Never had this problem with a regular gas grill.

Cheers!

Are you running one of the 20# adapters to the OEM regulator on the Griddle? Or are you running off of the camper's low pressure propane supply with an adapter?

If you are using one of the high pressure adapters that threads into the blackstone regulator, I'd venture to say that your regulator may be bad... if you read past threads on the Blackstones, you'll see that the regulator failing is a not-so-uncommon occurrence.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 03-07-2020, 11:30 PM   #198

Quote:

The problem:

Cheers!

Make sure a spider or other bug is not in gas tubing. Since you've got 2nd one swap the regulator to see if it went bad or you might need to reset it.

try this:
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #199

Thank you BriaBeck and filthy-beast for the advice! It is running off a stand-alone tank. I’ll try swapping out the regulator once I receive my second griddle from Walmart. Will also try the regulator reset when I get the griddle set back up. Needed some space in the garage, so the griddle is stored again.

Cheers and thanks for the help!

Old 03-08-2020, 02:33 PM   #200

Blackstone

Quote:

...The problem: The flame on my original started to be constantly low no matter what the burner setting... Any ideas or solutions why this is happening?

We briefly experienced a similar problem, and got a tip from the Blackstone website that it might be caused by opening our propane tank valve too quickly. Alas, when we “counted to 20” as suggested and took that full count to open our valve *as slow as molasses*, the low flow issue stopped and has never returned.

Love our Forest River Forester 3011 DS and our 22” Blackstone, which we now fuel via a quick connect to the motorhome’s low pressure fitting at the rear bumper. Out of habit, I still open that gate valve at the rear bumper slowly, even though there’s no regulator to over pressure with that setup [emoji6]

Brian

Tags
black