Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2019, 09:21 PM   #41

Ok so after 2 attempts to season our griddle I think I got it but for the life of me I can’t cook a steak on it, what is the secret?
Old 04-20-2019, 11:46 PM   #42
Retired Old Fart

I have not tried to cook a steak entirely on the Blackstone. I have however, "cooked" many a thick ribeye in my sous vide bath to a perfect medium rare and then crisped up the outside sear on a screaming hot Blackstone. I think to cook one entirely on the blackstone, you will either need to sear and then turn down the heat to give it more time for the heat to penetrate the steak, or cook it on low (to nearly at your desired done-ness) and then crank the burners to screaming hot to give that final sear.

Just tossing it on the hot griddle will sear and crisp the outside but the inside in not done (unless you like it extra rare). A thin steak would be a different thing though.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:03 AM   #43

I like mine MR. Put the grill on med high and put some oil on it spreading it evenly. Put steak on center (or hot part) and cook 5-7min a side to sear before flipping.

If you like them well done get a grill weight or bacon press and heat it up on the grill first. Once you put your steak on put weight on it and flip as usual. This will cook the inside more.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:34 AM   #44

For some reason this fitting seems to help the flames on my Blackstone Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5481.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	389.3 KB
ID:	202361
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #45

I take the ribeyes from the refrigerator about forty five minutes before I cook them. I sprinkle a little kosher salt and pepper on both sides of the steaks, press in the salt and pepper. Put a little oil or butter on the griddle, I use a instant thermometer to check for how done the steaks are. DW likes them dead and buried, I like them medium well, pink.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:14 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Yes, nice menu but people are replacing barbs for this, what you described you can do on a stove with a fry pan or even grille. I can see the joy of cooking outside, but don't you lose the option of a barb. Steak or chicken? I'm not against them at all but really don't know if I want to replace my barbecue to add that. Like I said I love a big area to cook on but. And that is a big but to me. I love the flavor of a barbeque. Been thinking of getting one but still not convinced. I think it limits you, am I right or wrong.
Dude this is like making fair food with the black stone. If bbq is for you its not the same but clean up is easy and plenty room for everthing
gricardsimplycol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:09 PM   #47

Have a blackstone as well. I cook everything on it. However if I'm cooking a more expensive cut of meet I will bust out charcoal and grill.
But yes it will do everything very well even steaks!
Only con is its so darn heavy 🙄
Txfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:20 PM   #48

Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Was View Post
I agree with you. We do have a Blackstone and it works well, but I will never replace my Weber Q with a Blackstone. If I'm forced to chose I'll take the Weber Q. That's just me. I do know others have ditched the grill and are happy with just a Blackstone. My brother is one of them.
I'm with ya. Never gonna lose the Q. For griddle work, I bought the griddle to go on my Q. My Weber Q 2200 has 2 piece grill and you simply pull one off, set it aside and put the griddle on. FYI, you can only use 1 griddle. Trying to use 2 will cause it to overheat.
2012 Rockwood Signature Ultralight
Every gadget in the book!
Girtski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txfoster View Post
Have a blackstone as well. I cook everything on it. However if I'm cooking a more expensive cut of meet I will bust out charcoal and grill.

But yes it will do everything very well even steaks!

Only con is its so darn heavy [emoji849]

You mean any cut of beef? Heck. Brisket is $3.00+ lb now...ok I guess it’s worth it.

We got kids...if it ain’t chicken$2 or less, whole pork loin $2 or less, 90% ground round ~$3 at Sams. The only steaks we get are on scratch and dent....usually $6+ regular. These are per pound of course.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #50

I have been using one for the past year- I prefer the blackstone over a gas grill but still bring a Weber Smokey joe 18” for bbq chicken, hot dogs or bbq burgers-don’t get me wrong the griddle does great burgers (‘more like a 5 guys) and excellent steaks but I Love charcoal flavor on bone in bbq chicken, dogs and burgers.

I have stopped bringing my Weber mini gas grill though and I have loved that thing for many years- the Blackstone is very useful for Just about every meal!
Knottshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:29 PM   #51

Blackstone

We have a 17" and it works well for everything , may not take the grill this yr
Gwsgarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:21 PM   #52

Blackstone

They work great for anything you cook on bbq. Wings steaks chicken. Everything cooks in its on juice. Steaks hamburger and salmon can't be beat. Any vegetable you can think of does great. Cover what you're cooking and squirt a little water under the lid and you have steamed what ever. Cooking time is a lot less to. Smashed burgers take about 3 to 4 min max.
cobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #53

Put it on high to sear it. Med rare only takes a few min. If you leave it on long it will be well done.
cobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:39 PM   #54

Purchased the 22 a couple of months ago. Seasoned it at home and used it at home a couple of times ——— Love it. Nows the season to hit the road again. No more bbq grills for me.
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:58 AM   #55
JnK

Blackstone

We bought the 22” model last season after using a Coleman grill for years. What a difference, we cook everything on it. Cooks great, much more flavor and cleans up quick. We love ours, happy camping...
JnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:33 AM   #56

Medunn

You can cook anything you cook in a frying pan on the griddle, and your not putting the heat, grease or smells in your trailer. I dont use the stove in the trailer for anything. My 22” griddle and a microwave is all we use.
Medunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:43 AM   #57

I'm part of a Big Green Egg forum and one of the members posted this the other day.....looks like a great deal, but, might be too much for camping.

https://www.menards.com/main/p-15313...TjEYMNhzbfhUms

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #58

I have tried a steak on mine and I definitely prefer a BBQ grill for cooking steaks!
1998 Pursuit
RonaldH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #59
ksa

Blackstone

We also use it for everything. Breakfasts are the best-hash browns, sausage, eggs all with one device. I ordered the carry/storage bag, the stainless steel lid and the thermometer that sits on the griddle. We use it every day when camping.
ksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:57 AM   #60

good steak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Yes, nice menu but people are replacing barbs for this, what you described you can do on a stove with a fry pan or even grille. I can see the joy of cooking outside, but don't you lose the option of a barb. Steak or chicken? I'm not against them at all but really don't know if I want to replace my barbecue to add that. Like I said I love a big area to cook on but. And that is a big but to me. I love the flavor of a barbeque. Been thinking of getting one but still not convinced. I think it limits you, am I right or wrong.
Witch Doctor You do lose the open flame/smoke flavor of a barb. But you can cook a very good tender steak on the griddle, just season to taste. We travel with the griddle and the small propane bard that came with our tt. well worth the hassle of taken both.
blasingame is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black