Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2022, 08:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Edington View Post
The Blackstone Griddle gets a little time to get used to it and has many have stated "you can cook everything on it!" I have the 17" portable in a handy carry bag that makes it easy to move around. It's made of cast iron (the griddle), so it will last a long long time.
I can make breakfast (cowboy breakfast, omelets, pancakes, and eggs). My specialty is Mexican burrito's and quesadillas--so easy to fry up peppers and onions. When we go RVing, we try to do non-normal meals and specialty desserts--like Carmel corn, peanut butter smores, Hawaiian French Toast, homemade cinnamon buns, and Brazilian Pinnapples.
Clean up is a breeze and the Blackstone is so versatile, that we rarely cook in the trailer anymore.
Leave the BBQ at home and try a Blackstone and you'll never go back! Happy Trails.
I went back. To each his own. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:53 PM   #22

We love ours so much I built it in!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0799.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	277745  
ScarlettD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:27 AM   #23

I camp with a Weber Q 2200 and a 22" Blackstone. I had the 17' Blackstone that hung on the rail on the trailer, but I wanted more real estate to cook on. The Blackstone is very versatile. Can't do smash burgers, pancakes or eggs on a grill. And I can't forget smashed Pillsbury cinnamon rolls! If I could only carry one it would be the Blackstone. It is much easier to clean: spray some water on it to loosen the debris and scrape it off. Much easier than cleaning a grill. Yes, the Blackstone is heavy, but it's that thick cold rolled steel top that makes it cook so good. Look up the Waltwins on YouTube. They cook on a griddle. In newer videos they switched from a Blackstone to a ceramic coated griddle but their videos will give you an idea of all the things you can cook on a griddle.
MarkPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:15 AM   #24

When we're camping we have a 22" Blackstone w/lid, 2 burner Napoleon Grill and 2 burner stove all on the table connected to the propane manifold I made. The manifold also has a pole with my lantern on it and I installed adjustable regulators on the grill and Blackstone so there isn't any performance loss with all appliances running at the same time. I keep the Blackstone in the back yard when we're at home and it gets used a lot.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:04 AM   #25

Not sure what you mean regarding needing a grill with a griddle, LOL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	patio herd new.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	339.5 KB
ID:	277758  

2022 Rockwood HW277
2011 Dodge Durango Hemi Crew
CFNeumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 02:28 PM   #26

Several Reasons

For one thing, that may be "the" thing, Blackstone is effective at their marketing. There are other griddles available and honestly, even though I have the Blackstone 22" picnic kit with stand, the others may be just as good as Blackstone? I mean it's a flat piece of steel with propane burners underneath. Pretty simple - how do you screw that up! But they are good at getting their name out in front and they also sell through Walmarts and Ace Hardware stores too.

Not taking away from quality. I do believe the products they sell are quality. But is the quality noticeably better than the Cuisinart, Avantco, Camp Chef or Members Mark, to name a few? Not if you check them out online - they all look pretty similar.

I will also say they are particularly good at marketing to what I suspect is their leading demographic, 35 - 50 year-old males. They produce an entire line of Blackstone-branded heavy duty accessories. And if there's one thing true for the male shopper in that age bracket with disposable income; it's often not the product you buy, it's the accessories you buy for that product. And male shoppers are often ardently loyal to brands.
MisterVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 03:00 PM   #27
RV There Yet?

we just switched from a coleman roadtrip grill/griddle and got rid of it for all of the reasons listed above and its rusting out around the burners.

not all griddles are made the same, some are cold rolled steel and some are cast iron. similar but not the same. we chose a 17" blackstone for the cold rolled steel griddle and for the lid being attached. we also got the carry bag. as of yet i do not miss the roadtrip grill or its long size.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:11 PM   #28
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
we just switched from a coleman roadtrip grill/griddle and got rid of it for all of the reasons listed above and its rusting out around the burners.

not all griddles are made the same, some are cold rolled steel and some are cast iron. similar but not the same. we chose a 17" blackstone for the cold rolled steel griddle and for the lid being attached. we also got the carry bag. as of yet i do not miss the roadtrip grill or its long size.
Do you hook it up to your rig's propane tanks? If so what type adapter do you use?
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1673
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 03:43 PM   #29
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
Do you hook it up to your rig's propane tanks? If so what type adapter do you use?
With a little research I found it! Hose comes in various lengths. Just in case anyone else is looking here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KZNKKBV...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1673
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:27 PM   #30

Name:	IMG_6360.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	277783Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6359.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	277784

Here are a couple other options
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:46 PM   #31

We use a 22” Blackstone and a Davy Crocket smoker with the camper no grill
G37x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:50 PM   #32

I worked for a while as a short order cook and later in a much fancier restaurant, cooked on griddles in both. That's how I learned cooking. Had several different grills over the years. Always had some kind of issue with the grills - food falling thru, not getting a good sear on meat, fish was always a problem. Cleanup was less than fun, especially if it was going to sit for a while. My favorite bar burgers are all cooked on griddles...
Personally, if you have a propane grill, I just don't see the point. Now if you cook over chunk charcoal or at a minimum have a way of adding wood smoke....

Bottom line, I'm happy with my 22" Blackstone. Got the stuff to connect to the trailer from https://propanegear.com/
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:02 AM   #33

I went with the Camp Chef 3 burner stove. Have the BBQ, Griddle and Pizza Oven attachments that way I can cook just about anything. Works for us
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:31 PM   #34

My better half also picked up a 17" Blackstone Griddle ($97 sale) to cook a greater variety of foods outdoors than can easily be done on an open grill. Left overs from home come with us to be re-purposed. We like chopped mixes of veggies, noodles/rice and cut up meats with appropriate spices. Also works great for fried eggs, pancake batter, bacon, sausage & especially loose hash-browns or American-Fried 'tators. The griddle doubles at home with a cart & tank on the shady side of the deck.

It's gotten so we only occasionally use our gas Weber grill (28#, now $259) for slab meat cuts like steak, chicken or chops. The last few times we've used the griddle even for steak and it does a great job, sans more appealing grill marks yes... but sans unappealing flare-ups too.

One other disadvantage of the Weber grill, besides flare-ups, is that it is a lot messier. Grease drips down into the interior although with good design, most of it ends up in the grease-tray. But for storage, the Weber grill must be thoroughly cleaned inside and out, or a grease-tray left on it for storage since there are always a few stray drips otherwise.

On the other hand, the burner assembly in the Blackstone naturally stays so clean we store the hose, regulator and shims with the burner under the griddle plate. The griddle surface cleans up quickly hot, with a small splash of water (way too much can warp it), a brief scraping and a paper towel. It travels inside the camper with us, packed in its clean, handy fabric cover set ($33.55). Notice I mentioned shims. The griddle needs a fairly level surface like a frying pan (a downside), partly so the excess grease runs out the rear port into its catch-tray (besides runny raw egg and batter needs). We usually set up on the site picnic tables, notoriously unlevel. The OEM rubber feet DO NOT adjust as ads sometimes suggest.

So anyway, we carry both types, plus. We also carry an older compact, lightweight two-burner Coleman (12#, $55?) for boiling kettles. At around 10k BTU per burner, it's occasionally used for large pots and group corn-on-the-cob for instance. In a pinch, a Weber grill could be used for this.

Wes
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:51 PM   #35

In the past, I've always brought a small, propane grill camping, either one with pop up legs like a Coleman Roadtrip, or a tabletop version of something similar. This year, I bought a Blackstone 22 inch tabletop griddle from Walmart for $150 and I love it. Here are the main reasons:

~ Well built, simple construction, more durable and realistically probably takes up less space packing than a tabletop grill, but with just as much, if not more cooking area.
~ Overall, its cleaner, with all debris and drippings being contained on the cooking surface then scraped into the grease catch, without anything dripping or falling down onto the heating elements.
~ More even temperature on the cooking surface. I still tend to rotate stuff around out of habit, but I've found 90% of the cooking surface tends to cook at the same temperature. (Side note, this thing cooks HOT. When I have both burners on, I cook everything on almost as low as it will go)
~ Eliminates the need for a generic griddle that I would normally cook breakfast on so I no longer need to pack that. I can cook every meal on this griddle with zero problems, and I could probably feed 12-15 people with it if I had to.
~ Great price point. At $150 it's a great value. Average table top grills can be $150-$250, with the better ones costing even more, so at $150, I feel this thing is a steal. (Side note, I've seen the 17 inch version for $150 at Tractor Supply, but Walmart.com has the 22 inch version for the same price).

Overall, I'll probably never go back to a tabletop grill. I think this Blackstone griddle is an amazing product. I bought a heavy duty cover off Amazon for $20, and a real nice set of griddle cooking utensils also of Amazon for $20 to complete the setup

** I recommend buying a hose that will allow you to use 20 lb propane tanks instead of the 1 lb, as I could only get through about 2 meals with the 1 pounders.
Clarkdubya2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:53 PM   #36

This is what I bought and it's perfect. Heavy duty as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09D2VXBLZ...t_details&th=1
Old 08-16-2022, 10:54 PM   #37

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09D2VXBLZ...t_details&th=1
Old 08-17-2022, 06:05 AM   #38

I ended up buying a hose with a regulator for using the 20 lb. tank. The Blackstone regulator works great with the 1 lb. bottle but is awful with the 20 lb. I was constantly resetting the Blackstone regulator multiple times before getting good gas flow.

Iococee 5 Feet Low Pressure... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LB316W6...p_mob_ap_share
JWood422 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:08 AM   #39
Canadian Member

A Blackstone is essentially a large frying pan. I’m sure they are great at that task but they don’t work for the stir fry that my DW makes. We don’t fry a lot so we have no use for one. When we do want to fry something, we just use a quality frying pan. When camping we use the portable Weber grill (BBQ) all the time.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:23 AM   #40
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

I have a 17" Blackstone and cook everything on it. I've been using mine for about 5 years now.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black