Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2022, 09:19 AM   #1
Growing Older But Not Up

Blackstone flat top

Why are blackstone dlatctop so popular with campers ? I know many of you have them an use them. Do you have a flat top and a grill ? I have a Coleman grill and a camp stove that I use fairly religiously. Thoughts on your balckstones?
Stevej3658 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:37 AM   #2

I have a small Blackstone and have used it a couple of times. I have never taken it camping because even though it is the smallest one they make (I think), it is one heavy mother. Plus it takes a bit of setup. I get by with the grill that came with my Mini Lite, or cooking on the campfire, sometimes a Dutch Oven. If I want a griddle, I will buy one that I can put on my grill. Less is best IMO
That said, some friends that we camp with have a large Camp Chef (?) griddle which is quite large - maybe 3 feet long, and I have to say it is very nice. But talk about HEAVY!

2019 Mini Lite 2109S
2021 GMC 1500 Sierra Elevation 3.0 Duramax Diesel
NevadaMiniLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:05 AM   #3

We have a Coleman road trip with the grill plates, large griddle and the pot/pan burner adapter plates.
We also have a small black stone we purchased when we had issues with our Coleman on a trip.
The black stone is great for many meals and is easy to clean up. But having steak and burgers on Coleman grill grates taste better than the black stone.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:06 AM   #4

I really get a lot of of use out of my 17 inch blackstone. I can run it off the small bottles but usually run it off the trailer propane quick connect. It’s great for cooking for a crowd, heats up quickly and once seasoned correctly, the clean up is way easier then using frying pans. It’s one item I never leave home without and I sometimes use it at home as well.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:17 AM   #5

I have the 22 inch flat top. Yes it is heavy but I don't carry a lot of stuff or load my motohome very heavy so I don't worry about that. I mostly use mine for breakfast meals. They can get a bit messy sometimes so taking the splatters outside makes the wife happy. It works great.
Sunseeker16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 11:57 AM   #6

Friends carry one and great for cooking Philly cheese steak fixings or breakfast for the group.

We picked up a Weber Q 2000 series and have the griddle plate for one side so we can do either and only have to carry one grill that way.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:22 PM   #7

I like my 22” Blackstone because I can cook just about anything on it. I’ve cooked hamburgers, ribeyes, hotdogs and chili, chicken, sausage with peppers and onions, fresh fish and even pizza. Also fried rice. I’ve cooked breakfast for 10 people on it.
All this being said, if you’re happy with what you cook and how you cook it, I wouldn’t encourage you to buy anything just because others like theirs. I enjoy mine and am glad I have it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7319.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	277566
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:19 PM   #8

We have a Coleman Road trip with the grill plates, large griddle and the pot/pan burner adapter plates.

I have worked a large profession griddle (5'X3') at NFL football games as a volunteer for 20 years. What really makes it work is not just the surface but the sides around it. They let you push things with your spatula against it for handling.

It got the half size griddles for the Road Trip and they are a real failure. They have vents in the side and everything falls threw them. They also let the bacon grease drain and catch fire. I went and got the large griddle and it works much better. Still, I really miss the sides.
MichaelBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:42 PM   #9
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
We have a Coleman road trip with the grill plates, large griddle and the pot/pan burner adapter plates.
We also have a small black stone we purchased when we had issues with our Coleman on a trip.
The black stone is great for many meals and is easy to clean up. But having steak and burgers on Coleman grill grates taste better than the black stone.
X2. Nothing I despise more than fried steaks, chops or burgers.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 03:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
Friends carry one and great for cooking Philly cheese steak fixings or breakfast for the group.

We picked up a Weber Q 2000 series and have the griddle plate for one side so we can do either and only have to carry one grill that way.
I carry a Weber Q2000 on a bumper mounted swing arm that stays attached to the trailer all camping season and cook my grilled stuff on it, burgers, steaks and dogs. Only thing I don't like about it is it takes a while to get up to cooking temps.

I use the Blackstone for breakfast bacon, eggs and home fries and for dinner or lunch, sausage, peppers and onions, cheese steaks and grilled sandwiches.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:58 PM   #11

I had a 22" Blackstone griddle that I really liked but it was too big for just the wife and I. Gave that to my friend who lets me keep my trailer in his building. Went to a 17" Blackstone griddle which I really don't care for. The griddle warped after a couple of uses and with 1 burner it's hard to regulate the heat.
mysery1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:31 PM   #12

We carry a 22", I like it for the dual burner for different temps. The 17" would be plenty based only on size for the two of us. As stated, we use ours at breakfast a lot to keep the mess out of the fifth wheel. Plus, it just tastes better lol. It is a little heavy, but we have the storage and capacity, so it is worth it to us.
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:48 AM   #13

We use a 22 inch Blackstone and a Q2000 Weber grill all the time. I mean all the time because when we are home I have it set up out on the back patio. We bought a table the same as the one at home to take camping. That way I have the same setup when we get to camp as at home.

My wife really appreciates it at home because it keeps the smells and grease out of the kitchen. Plus she doesn't have to do so much of the cooking this way.

Just this morning I fixed bacon, scrambled eggs and pancakes in about ten to fifteen minutes and she set the table. Happy wife, by the way today was our 29th wedding anniversary, still a happy wife!

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 03:03 AM   #14

Few yrs back i bought the combo. Grill/griddle . Love it. the grill can get to 800 degrees. Awesome for searing a steak. the griddle i cook the bacon then the eggs on it. Stops from getting that smoke/splatter in the house. also cook philly cheese steaks on it, clean up is a breeze. Bought a 5'er. now needed a grille. Hey saw the 17 in griddle on sale $99. I put it on the camp grille at the CG. hook up 20 pound tank, cook everything on it. No smoke/splatter in rv. priceless.
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:10 AM   #15

We went to a Blackstone 17" for the camper and have a bigger Rhino that folds like a Colman Road Trip that folds up now for home. The Rhino was too mach trouble for the camper.

We like the griddles so much better that we stopped using a grill. You can do so much more with them and the food tastes better. We do breakfasts, fresh vegtables, rice, burgers, steaks, pork, chicken, shrimp and much more. Even grilled cheese for the grandkids................... and all outside.

Clean up is easy too.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:49 AM   #16

We have the 22" blackstone because of reasons others have mentioned. We can cook everything on it. From breakfast to lunch to dinner, and we have even made popcorn on it to snack on by the campfire. I havent found anything that I cant cook on it. Online there are thousands of recipes and ideas of things to make. If you have something that works for you, then keep doing what you are doing. If you are in the market for something new, I would recommend a blackstone (or one like it) because of the versatility.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:18 PM   #17

I fall into the "Both" category.
I have the Blackstone Adventure ready griddle/fryer combo and one of those hang on gas grills that came with my older Mini Lite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210918_191530.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	277742  
JVthePT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:53 PM   #18

The Blackstone Griddle gets a little time to get used to it and has many have stated "you can cook everything on it!" I have the 17" portable in a handy carry bag that makes it easy to move around. It's made of cast iron (the griddle), so it will last a long long time.
I can make breakfast (cowboy breakfast, omelets, pancakes, and eggs). My specialty is Mexican burrito's and quesadillas--so easy to fry up peppers and onions. When we go RVing, we try to do non-normal meals and specialty desserts--like Carmel corn, peanut butter smores, Hawaiian French Toast, homemade cinnamon buns, and Brazilian Pinnapples.
Clean up is a breeze and the Blackstone is so versatile, that we rarely cook in the trailer anymore.
Leave the BBQ at home and try a Blackstone and you'll never go back! Happy Trails.
S.Edington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:18 PM   #19
Part-Time Campground Host

We carry a Big Green Egg MiniMax. Charcoal grill/smoker.
Been think about a Blackstone 17" to go with it.
Thanks for all the info here, Think I'll pull the trigger soon.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1689
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Edington View Post
The Blackstone Griddle gets a little time to get used to it and has many have stated "you can cook everything on it!" I have the 17" portable in a handy carry bag that makes it easy to move around. It's made of cast iron (the griddle), so it will last a long long time.
I can make breakfast (cowboy breakfast, omelets, pancakes, and eggs). My specialty is Mexican burrito's and quesadillas--so easy to fry up peppers and onions. When we go RVing, we try to do non-normal meals and specialty desserts--like Carmel corn, peanut butter smores, Hawaiian French Toast, homemade cinnamon buns, and Brazilian Pinnapples.
Clean up is a breeze and the Blackstone is so versatile, that we rarely cook in the trailer anymore.
Leave the BBQ at home and try a Blackstone and you'll never go back! Happy Trails.
This.
Well stated, sir.
JVthePT is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
black