Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2016, 06:12 PM   #21

If you have the Davy Crockett...

Could you check the grill grate temperature using an oven thermometer or the Davy Crockett temperature probe. Measure at the center of the grill grates. With my grill set to 230 deg, the grill grate temperature was 280 deg. My oven thermometer agreed with the DC temperature probe. Quite a difference. Wondering if everyone is seeing the same.
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:05 AM   #22
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyQ View Post
If you have the Davy Crockett...

Could you check the grill grate temperature using an oven thermometer or the Davy Crockett temperature probe. Measure at the center of the grill grates. With my grill set to 230 deg, the grill grate temperature was 280 deg. My oven thermometer agreed with the DC temperature probe. Quite a difference. Wondering if everyone is seeing the same.

The grate temp probe is set against the wall next to the pellet hopper. If you measure grate temp directly over the burner (center of grate) I would expect it to read higher by quite a bit.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #23
Broken Toe

Results/observations of my first run with the smoker. I set it up on friday and followed all the directions as far as updating firmware and getting it 'primed' for first use. It was exceptionally easy. I pushed the "on" button and away it went. I let it run up to 250 and then shut it off. I found the WiFi range impressive, I could go anywhere on my lake lots and still get a good connection.

My plan was to get the 8lb butt in the smoker by 6:00 am on Saturday. So much for plans, lol. When I woke up, It was 7:30. Damn. I grabbed my phone off the nightstand and got the grill going while still lying in bed. Is this a great age to live in or what? I was worried that I would not get the butt fully cooked in time, so I threw a hail-mary and decided to make an 8lb butt into 2-4lb butts. They went on the grill at 8:00 am at 250 degrees and was done by around 3:00. I truly wish I could share the smell with you all, it was so amazing.

One issue I had was with the meat probe. After only about an hour, it was showing an internal temp of 185 on the meat. I know there is know way that was right. I tried moving the probe to another location in the meat, just to make sure. I started getting nervous trying to figure out what to do. I started looking for info on the internet but nothing fit my issue. While I was trying to find info, the food probe gradually increased to 265! which was 15 degrees OVER box temp. I pulled the probe all the way out and let it hang out in ambient air (about 45 degrees) and it stabilized at 110 degrees. HMM. I'm a controls engineer. I deal with temperature probes all the time. I've seen this in RTD temp probes with flaky connectors. I pulled the "stereo plug" for the probe out, and gave it a good wipe down with a rag. I reinserted it, and made sure it was firmly plugged in, and within 10 seconds it showed correct ambient temp. (this also tells me they have a smoothing filter on the probe output, which would be totally expected).

I reinserted the probe into the meat, and it showed like 130 or so degrees, which seemed much more real. After that minor issue, the probe read pretty much accurately the remainder of the day. I let the butts go to 195 degrees internal, and then pulled them off, wrapped them in foil and stuffed them in a cooler. With the cooking done and the meat resting, MamaBear and I decided to hop in the UTV for a spin around the lake. About halfway, I realize that I left the cooler with the meat in the cabin with the dog! Oh Crap. Its not on of those coolers with a positive lock on it. I could see her clawing at it and getting the top open. We flat out RACED back to the cabin, with the expectation that I would find a missing butt, some shredded foil and an overstuffed but happy dog waiting for me. Luckily, she apparently nosed the cooler a little, but that was it.

I let the meat rest for a couple of hours and then shredded it with my new "bear claws" that I also got for Christmas.

they worked very good for me. I had all the pork shredded in just a few minutes.

the pork was fantastic. we took it to the New Years party and everyone raved on it. Overall, I was impressed with the GMG smoker. About the only thing I don't like is those silly little spring feet on the bottom of it. They make it hard to slide in into the back of my truck. But other than that, I think its wonderful.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 01-02-2017, 07:03 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I had to take my spring feet off so it would fit in the basement storage of MH.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #25

Can you use this without a smart phone?
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:25 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat48 View Post
Can you use this without a smart phone?
You bet. You can actually download the owners manual for these on the Green Mountain Grill website, if you want to peruse it.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #27

the only issue I have with My GMG is that the probe on mine is inaccurate. Not by a few degrees, but by 200 degrees and it liked to wander. Ie, i watched it go from 370 to 199 in less than 5 minutes.

That said, when I pulled it out of my New years pulled pork, it fell apart. GMG had already agreed to send me a new probe so I am hoping that will fix the issue. Their Customer support has been spot on and very helpful. I just got notification that they are shipping it today. Given that this conversation with them happened on New Years Eve, i am thrilled with the turn around time
Old 01-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #28

Davy Crockett Temperature Data

​Decided to record some temp data as I was cooking ribs yesterday. Set the grill to 200 degrees. Had the first thermocouple just above the grate on the left rear side (a couple of inches from the rear wall, about 3 inches from the left wall) and a second thermocouple on the right front side of the grill grate. Recorded data when the temps peaked and recorded temps when they bottomed out.

Conclusion - If you average all of the readings the grill grate runs 35 deg higher than the set temp. And I see a 25 deg difference between the left side and right side of the grill. The indicated set temp is not telling us what is really happening in the grill. The grill temp cycles up and down quite a bit. Just something to keep in mind when trying to follow a recipe. BTW, the 3-2-1 ribs were fantastic!

GMG Testing

3 5/8" Diffuser to Left Wall (per GMG tech), 35 degF OAT, Foiled Drip Tray, Firmware Ver 6.2 Alt

Setpoint -- Left Rear -- Right Front -- Diff Between Left and Right Side

200 238 266 28 (Max Temp Observed during Temperature Cycles)
200 238 270 32
200 226 251 25
200 235 256 21
200 231 263 32
200 226 262 36
200 229 266 37
200 214 228 14 (Min Temp Observed During Temperature Cycles)
200 214 234 20
200 217 240 23
200 211 227 17
200 203 223 20
200 215 242 27
Old 01-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I made a Pork Roast for December 30th for friends. it was great! Ate the last for lunch today on my sandwich. On January 1st made a Beef Roast, I like DW was unsure as I used too much pepper for her liking.
I bought 2 bags of pellets here. $22 for 28 lbs GMG. This was actually less than I paid in Shipshewana where I bought the grill last August.

I have not updated firmware yet. I don't seem to have the hot spots many talk about and the stereo plug is a not the best, going to replace with a switchcraft model
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #30
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
the stereo plug is a not the best, going to replace with a switchcraft model
I was thinking the same thing, but I will probably go with an M12 connector. I have a few laying around here at work. They are VERY robust.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 01-04-2017, 03:23 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
7.84 pounds of delicious pork butt has been laid in. Definitely NOT on sale in the STL right now, but still cheaper than hamburger.

Got the Meat Yoda's rub all ready to go, did not get a chance to unbox the unit. Tonight for sure.

Stay tuned sports fans.

Tim
Just cause you mentioned it... your Butts are 99 cents a lb at Loughbourgh. Buy em and freeze em for you next smoking occasion.

I meant to agree with you on the Bear claws. They are pretty nice for shredding the meat. I also used them to pull out of the smoker
Old 01-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #32
Broken Toe

Meal #2...

Made a beef rump roast. Made up some herb butter with a softened stick of butter, some rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and liberally coated the roast. You want you roast at room temp. I forgot to let mine sit out, and as soon as the butter contacted the cold beef, it turned solid and would not stick. Made a hell of a mess, but smelled awesome...

Set the smoker on 500 but the best it would do was 480. it was about 20 degrees and windy, so I can imagine that it was having a hard time keeping up. Put the roast in for about 20 minutes or so to get a good crust going, the set the heat down to 250 and let it go till it got an internal temp of about 140. It took about 3 hours for a 2 lb roast. Took it off, wrapped in it foil and let it rest for about an hour in a cooler.

Rump roasts are very flavorful, but can be a bit 'chewy' if you don't cook them right. This apparently is the right way, as this one was tender and juicy and tasted awesome. I used the drippings to make a gravy.

The last thing I tried was to smoke some chocolate chip cookies. These did not go so well, as the bottoms burnt on most of them, especially on the right hand side of the grill. Not sure what I need to do, but I'll figure it out eventually. But the parts that weren't burnt were heavenly. If you've never had a smoked chocolate chip cookie, you don't know what you are missing.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170108_144344.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	127762   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170108_171213.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	127763   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170108_183148.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	127764  

"Camper" 2016
Old 01-09-2017, 10:27 AM   #33

Yummy! Did someone say FOOD Looks DELISHOUS
Old 01-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #34

Quote:
Meal #2...
The last thing I tried was to smoke some chocolate chip cookies. These did not go so well, as the bottoms burnt on most of them, especially on the right hand side of the grill. Not sure what I need to do, but I'll figure it out eventually. But the parts that weren't burnt were heavenly. If you've never had a smoked chocolate chip cookie, you don't know what you are missing.
Tim
Have the same problem w/ my Davy Crockett. Right side is hotter, and the overall temp is about 30-40 deg higher than the set temp. Been watching the GMG Facebook pages. Have not tried this myself, but one guy says he solved the problems by sliding the diffuser over the firepot all the way to the right. Also loaded the new firmware (6.5, Prototype). He foiled the top drip tray and slid the drip trays to the right (ensures the temp sensor on the left side of the grill is not obstructed). And he said to make sure the fan blades under the pellet hopper are not rubbing on any of the fan gasket material (ie. fan runs unobstructed).

AND lastly, you can add a correction to the set temp to get the actual grill grate temp closer to the set temp via the smartphone app. (The current iOS app allows a +/-20 deg adjustment, the new Android app allows a +/-50 deg adjustment.

I'm going to try all during my next cook.

Your roast looks fabulous!!
Old 01-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #35
Site Team

Mignon and twice baked potato grilled on the GMG

Again thanks to Turbs and his patience/advice.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #36
Broken Toe

Did some "Country-Style" boneless beef ribs in the GMG last night. I have grilled the country-style pork ribs on the regular grill before, and its very similar to a pork steak. I figured that they would be awesome on the GMG. But the store was out of pork, so the wife picked up beef.

Probably the first thing I cooked on the GMG that was not excellent. Oh... The flavor was fantastic. The smoke flavor is very noticeable, but not overpowering or out of proportion to the beef flavor. But eating these things were like chewing on a flip-flop. Imagine a poorly cooked brisket.

The boneless pork 'ribs' I have done previously on the regular grill weren't nearly this chewy. I'm guessing a good, slow braising would be about the only way to cook them and get them tender enough to fully enjoy.

I'm thinking a big old ribeye on the GMG is something that I need to do soon.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 01-24-2017, 10:05 AM   #37

Quote:
Did some "Country-Style" boneless beef ribs in the GMG last night. I have grilled the country-style pork ribs on the regular grill before, and its very similar to a pork steak. I figured that they would be awesome on the GMG. But the store was out of pork, so the wife picked up beef.

Probably the first thing I cooked on the GMG that was not excellent.
Tim
Never seen boneless beef ribs, but, probably similar to bone-in beef ribs? Did you foil them with some juice and rub after a couple of hours of smoke until they were tender? Also, use an oven thermometer and check your grate temp. Mine runs much higher than the set temp. Found a few beef rib recipes here. (When a Traeger recipe calls for the smoke setting, set your DC to 200 degF.)

Grilling and BBQ Recipes | Traeger Wood Fired Grills
Old 01-26-2017, 12:59 PM   #38

Good Support Service.

Last Saturday my GMG AC/DC adapter failed. No light or power from any electric source I tested. Not a total fail, I just connected to a 12v battery with the DC cable that came with the Davy Crockett.

Like a good customer, I decided now is the time to register my unit for the warranty. I waited a few hours and called the support number. I got a voice message that stated that since I got to this message I should leave a call back number and that they would respond as soon as possible.

I was contacted within the hour. The support tech could not find me in his system and registered me on the spot. I told him my story and he said a replacement was on its way.

The adapter was in this mornings mail. So I am satisfied with the service behind the product as well.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #39

I have returned to my education with the Davy Crockett. I have cooked most everything over a fire or some sort of grill. The one thing I have avoided was a Pork Tenderloin. I always thought that I could not do this without drying it out.

For lunch today with an average of 40 degree temps and 10-15 winds, I cooked a Pork Tenderloin. At 225 degrees and a little over two hours and it was fantastic and full of juice. The smoke really adds something to the little red potatoes and onions that I chopped up.

I am going to do this again as I am wondering that my SET grill temp readings are lower than what is true. The meat probe temp readings are spot on. The weather may be a factor here.

Today I used the wifi for the first time and I did update the firmware prior. The DW did a big eye roll and said a bunch of off color things about my mental age when I told her that I just started the grill with my phone.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
I am going to do this again as I am wondering that my SET grill temp readings are lower than what is true. The meat probe temp readings are spot on. The weather may be a factor here.

Today I used the wifi for the first time and I did update the firmware prior. The DW did a big eye roll and said a bunch of off color things about my mental age when I told her that I just started the grill with my phone.
Have seen pretty much the same. Before loading the revised app and new firmware I was seeing grate temps about 30-35 deg higher than the set temp.

With the revised app and new firmware (6.5 Prototype), you can enter an offset up to 20 deg at the low temp end in the app. I have the max offset entered (+20 deg) and my grate temp is still about 10 deg higher than the set temperature. Now, I just have to set the grill 10 deg lower than called for in the recipe. Also to even out the left side to right side grate temps, had to slide the heat shield over the firepot all the way to the right.

Hope that helps.