Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #21

We been making these since 1970.
w9ila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Did you ever get it sorted? I'm no biscuit guru, but not ready to give up just yet.

What kind isn't a flaky biscuit? I saw the Pillsbury Grand ones that say "flaky" in the name, so I got the other ones, but yeah.. as soon as they started browning it was a lost cause.
Never did but every time I see those things I have to try again. I've killed many a innocent biscuit.
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #23

I made 10 for our family this past week long trip to Tennessee. My DW is Camping Gator. I used 3/8" dowels that were 4' long. Long enough to stay away from the heat and get more folks around the fire or grill source. Drill a 3/8" hole half way into a 1-1/4", 3" long dowel. Glue together and let it dry. Then soak the 1-1/4" dowel in cooking oil to saturate. I placed all of mine in a baggie once done and keep them like that until using and then after as well. Spray very lightly with Pam and put the biscuit over the end creating about a 2" to 3" hole s it bakes. Rotate and remove when brown....it will be hot. Fill with pudding, pie filling or other treat. Dash od whipped cream and you will "woof-em" down and get another!
80gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
CampingGator thanks for the idea and strat56 thanks for that link,

the link shows exactly how to make them, but what about this:

we have the original two prong long-handled metal camping forks for roasting marshmallows and hotdogs, I'm thinking of trying this: ......getting just the large 1 1/4" wooden dowel, make the pieces, drill a smaller hole that would be a firm press fit onto the prongs and using the metal camping fork for the handle...... If that doesn't work I can always enlarge the small hole, buy the wooden dowels and go that route........ If that does works, it can make two at a time, but also might need to drill the small hole off center a little to separate the two wooden pieces enough to allow two biscuits to cook without swelling into each other................anyway, thanks for the idea
Love it - one less long pokey thing to store/move across the country. Don't see why it wouldn't work. The biscuits don't really swell up all that much so I think it'd work fine.
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
looks like the biscuits falling off is a real problem and that's easy to see how they could, with nothing there to keep that from happening. ..... Skewers!......short stainless steel skewers stuck thru the dough, into a small drilled hole, drilled across the wooden piece. That would prevent falling off, would be removed before pulling the biscuit off and would only leave a small hole in both sides of the biscuit cup.......The skewers that I've found on Amazon range from 10" to 12" and could be easily cut in half, because full length is too long to mess with, mainly because I'll be trying this idea with the two prong campfire fork idea that I mentioned in post #17 above.
If you use cheap, non-flakey biscuits, they won't fall off. We had up to 8 sticks going at a time on multiple nights of our trip, and didn't lose any by falling off (did burn some, but that's a different issue).
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:06 PM   #26
rbq

Not that I'm selling them, but here are several local boys who have set out to make these & sell them.
wolf 'em - Home
Old 07-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
If you use cheap, non-flakey biscuits, they won't fall off. We had up to 8 sticks going at a time on multiple nights of our trip, and didn't lose any by falling off (did burn some, but that's a different issue).
That is right. We did use Pillsbury last week, but we have also used an off brand. They cooked up the same. Use the small ones, not the Grands. If you use the Grands, then cut the dough in half. DO NOT use the flaky or layered biscuits! Keep working the dough down gently as you cook them because the dough wants to recoil. As it cooks, it will then be easier to keep it down. Do not stretch it too thin. You want to avoid holes in the sides. If you do leave the dough too thick though, they will stay gooey inside, which is not what you want. Maybe next time we do them we will make a video to include on here so you can see how we do them. They really are not difficult at all.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote