Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 06:29 PM   #21

I don't particularly care for the fast food condiment packs.

Years ago I started just buying smaller sized bottles/jars of condiment items for the trailer. At the end of the year I'd bring whatever was left back in the house and use it up.

When time to go, I shopped again, putting everything from condiments, paper plates, plastic utensils, napkins, etc in a single box that was ready to go out to the trailer a week or two before leaving on first trip.

Everything's on my checklist but even might forget something, more than a few opportunities between home and destination to pick up whatever's needed. Most of my trips in the past have involved several days on the road before settling in. On the last road day I prefer to shop for fresh produce which usually means a stop at a large grocery store.

Again, in my world, "Fast Food" is pretty much off my menu. After heart surgery no Saturated fat, Sodium, or other artery clogging items. Sadly that puts Cracker Barrel on the list of forbidden restaurants. What fun is Cracker Barrel if one can't order their "Uncle Hershel's Favorite" for Breakfast or a Cracker Barrel Sampler for Lunch/Dinner.

This new diet has me doing a lot of cooking for myself but on the plus side, Blood pressure is down and I've lost over 30 pounds that aren't showing any sign of coming back.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
Old 03-11-2018, 06:46 PM   #22

Two things my wife knows will cause a tense situation on our camping trips: running out of Coke Zero and running out of ketchup.

But we will grab a few other things you can't buy at the store: Chik-Fil A Sriracha sauce, Bojangle's Honey Mustard, etc.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #23

I carry small containers of whatever I want, generally limited to mayonnaise, kimchi, and jam or jelly. I quit the fast food circuit maybe six years back. I find it a little hard to find anything I consider real food when on the road, so carry my own.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
I carry small containers of whatever I want, generally limited to mayonnaise, kimchi, and jam or jelly. I quit the fast food circuit maybe six years back. I find it a little hard to find anything I consider real food when on the road, so carry my own.
Iím not much into fast food for burgers but I will order them every now and then. Fast food restaurants are very convenient for quick meals. I really love the Rueben sandwich that Culverís servers. I also love Leeís Famous Recipe Chicken (sorry Colonel) , Lionís Choice roast beef sandwiches, the Taco Salad that Taco Bell currently serves, and the Bacon Cheese Baked Potato that Wendyís serves to name just a few of my favorite foods at fast food restaurants.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I don't particularly care for the fast food condiment packs.

Years ago I started just buying smaller sized bottles/jars of condiment items for the trailer. At the end of the year I'd bring whatever was left back in the house and use it up.

that! I find the packets usually arenít very good. I buy the brands I like in smallish containers and they stay in the trailer for the season.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:24 PM   #26

Actually if one really thinks about taking all the jelly all the condiments they did not use for their meal is theft and is just one of the reasons restaurant prices rise. Panties in a bunch or not.......just sayin,
Old 03-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #27
Site Team

Oh, camping season... where art thou?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 86; booked = 39
Old 03-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #28

Stolen tiny condiment packs............

really?

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 03-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Oh, camping season... where art thou?
Funny! It has to be close if we are talking about stuff to put on a sandwich. LOL...
Old 03-11-2018, 09:28 PM   #30

We bought condiments from Gordon Food service once, found it to be big hassle always fooling with small packets went back to buying in bottles.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:08 PM   #31

I have a nice checklist to share if you want to borrow it. Having grown up in a family-owned restaurant business, I became aware that those apparently cheap items stolen from us made a difference in the prices we had to charge and our ultimate profit that fed my Dad's and uncle's families. Simply put, what you're talking about is, plain and simple, theft.

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Old 03-11-2018, 10:38 PM   #32

ManlyMan: Do what you want. In more than 40 years of camping, DW and I have found that we rarely agree on the best condiments to use for burgers, hot dogs, Brats, or other grilled entrees. I stock our 5th wheel with the condiments that I like best, and I check at least twice a year to see what DW may have added. She always adds extra Sweet Pickle Relish because she insists on adding a few tablespoons to her baked beans!

At my age, if I tried to save those little packets of condiments from fast food outlets, I would simply forget where I stored them. Not a good idea unless you plan to have your RV invaded by rats or other "savvy" vermin.]
Old 03-12-2018, 04:56 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManlyMan View Post
I’m sure I’m not the only one that does this but over the winter when I go to a fast food restaurant I always bring a few of those condiment packets home with me. By the time travel season begins again I have a good supply of ketchup, mustard, and miracle whip for my trailer. I never have to worry about forgetting to pack condiments. My salt and pepper shakers stay in the trailer all season so I don’t bother saving those packets.
Those packets are available in some grocery stores or restaurant supply houses.

The owner of the restaurant had to pay for them and they did so for their customers use.

Isn't taking them to use outside the restaurant stealing? I think so!
Old 03-12-2018, 07:20 AM   #34

Still laughing

But if this is your biggest concern, bless you. Have fun camping and everyone hide your extra TP etc.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:29 AM   #35

OMG I’m a thief. I am so sorry. I never realized that taking a few extra packets of condiments from various neighborhood restaurants caused the price of burgers to rise. I will spend the rest of my RVing life doing penance for my sins (not really).

So when you order “to go” food and the restaurant employee throws in too many packets of condiments, do you make a point of returning them.

Some of you folks make some of the silliest statements I’ve ever read.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:45 AM   #36
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
OMG Iím a thief. I am so sorry. I never realized that taking a few extra packets of condiments from various neighborhood restaurants caused the price of burgers to rise. I will spend the rest of my RVing life doing penance for my sins (not really).

So when you order ďto goĒ food and the restaurant employee throws in too many packets of condiments, do you make a point of returning them.

Some of you folks make some of the silliest statements Iíve ever read.
Let me guess, I'm supposed to return the unused napkins also????

Joking of course

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 03-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #37

If the fast food
service toss extras in your bag when you order to go, it is not stealing. If you grab them knowing you won't use them for your immediate use, I think...hmmm.

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2018 3050s Sunseeker
Old 03-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Iím sure Iím not the only one that does this but over the winter when I go to a fast food restaurant I always bring a few of those condiment packets home with me. By the time travel season begins again I have a good supply of ketchup, mustard, and miracle whip for my trailer. I never have to worry about forgetting to pack condiments. My salt and pepper shakers stay in the trailer all season so I donít bother saving those packets.
It is my guess that, if you had added 'order ďto goĒ food' in your original post as you did in the one below, very few readers would have read it as your going into the fast food joint and taking extras for your later use.

Quote:

So when you order ďto goĒ food and the restaurant employee throws in too many packets of condiments, do you make a point of returning them.

As Santabobswife wrote, it's seems fine to take home what the "to go" bagger tossed in the bag.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 86; booked = 39
Old 03-12-2018, 09:04 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
OMG Iím a thief. I am so sorry. I never realized that taking a few extra packets of condiments from various neighborhood restaurants caused the price of burgers to rise. I will spend the rest of my RVing life doing penance for my sins (not really).

OK, we are going to need to close this one down, as it's upsetting forum harmony and it's not a subject matter where a question was asked.... but just a subjective statement on how to save on condiments.

Let's see if we all can be more helpful in other threads, please.

Geaux Tigers!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
camper