Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2019, 07:49 AM   #21

It’s all about having the priorities right! And you sir do and in the right order.
ChrisRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #22

I always plan ahead, I make sure there is enough hotdogs to last the entire trip. Hotdogs for breakfast, lunch, dinner. Beer in between. We have only ran out of hotdogs once , it was a long vacation. So we had to get to the store to buy something to hold us over for the last day. We got more hotdogs. Lol
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #23

Our two plans:

Bring a meal for inside for bad weather day.

If visiting new town, plan to eat out at least once and ask the locals where they go

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #24

?

Perhaps you could share a trip meal plan with the ones on this board that haven't organized this part of their lives yet.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arti View Post
Perhaps you could share a trip meal plan with the ones on this board that haven't organized this part of their lives yet.
Oh that was mean...and funny.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arti View Post
How have you survived this long without a plan to procure food, cook it and eat it?
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #27

We use a spreadsheet as well. When we pack we cross stuff off the list. We usually over pack (just like clothes) but that just allows some flexibility.

When we camp with others we like to each cover a dinner that we only we only have to cook dinner once or twice a trip.

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #28

All through my career I have heard the following:

"People who fail to plan, plan to fail".

RV'ing requires all kinds of plans.

Trip plan
Food Plan
Emergency Plan
Contingency Plan
Loading Plan

and on and so forth.

I'm "camping single" now but nonetheless I have a "food plan" for at least 2 weeks. Only things I purchase along the way are items that don't store well for that time like produce (and doughnuts)

This also satisfies the needs for a "disaster shelter" should a natural disaster occur and render my home uninhabitable for any amount of time. I can deal with comfort issues easily but I don't do well when hungry

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:02 PM   #29
Multi-Slacker

We try to plan snacks for the truck while traveling. We try to bring adequate amounts of beverages including my coffee. If touring a national park, we bring in lunch. If touring towns & such we will plan on eating a least one meal out. My wife brings along breakfast stuff and some fall back meals for the evening. It really depends on where we are going and what we are doing. So yes, we plan, but a spreadsheet is a vast overkill for us.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #30

Pff.
I move a notable percentage of the house food into the camper. I unload only what I have to. Basically the camper is like the house and only perishables move back and forth.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
We camp with 3 other families and we generally make mealtime together a major part of the experience. Each party brings their specialty to share with the rest and we just make sure there are no duplications. We're talking smoked ribs, brisket and pulled pork from a smoker. We're talking corn on the cob. We're talking custom pizzas made with fresh dough, a slew of toppings and cooked in a propane-fired pizza oven. We're talking roasting veggies on the grill. Everyone contributes food and sometimes there are surprises (like a theater-style popcorn machine). We eat ( and drink) better when we camp than we do at home!
My kind of guy! Where's your next camp out? May I join? When we go, I do some planning but not with a spreadsheet. Since the new rig has the big residential refrigerator, planning is not quite as important- just move from one fridge to the other! We rarely eat out. I like to cook and DH likes my cooking. It's one of the reasons we got an RV instead of doing hotels and restaurants.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #32

Much like home. Frozen dinners to microwave when not too energetic. Otherwise frozen steak , chops, chicken legs for the open fire. We bring pre baked potatoes for reheat or sliced and fried. Fresh veggies, don't like canned. As far as planning, the anticipated weather has some to do with it. Usually covered for whatever happens, can always bring back home.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #33

I always plan ahead on what meals will be prepared. I also bring an extra meal or 2, just in case one of us decides on a change. Planning ahead makes having all of the ingredients available. I don't make a spreadsheet, but I make a menu & then make my grocery list from that.
SherriP61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:04 PM   #34

We keep a few staples in the pantry, just like we do at home. So we can make, for example, spaghetti and sauce at any given time.

We always plan as follows :

(example) One night we will have burgers, one night pork loin, one night grilled chicken

We buy the needed ingredients and put em in the camper. We dont go so far as to plan what night each meal will happen.

We often camp with another family so we tell them we will buy the meat if they buy the fixins. We generally split breakfasts and snacks. often we wont have a sit down lunch as we are normally on the go, so we just have some sandwich stuff to use as needed.
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:04 PM   #35
jkoenig24

As long as it works for you, you're fine.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Oh that was mean...and funny.
Wasn't trying to be mean..
Just hoping someone would post a list here of things to plan a weeks worth of food.

We generally get in the camper with very little food some condiments mainly and go shopping at a local grocery store when we get to out destination. We eat what looks good at the local stores.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:32 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfd82 View Post
We keep a few staples in the pantry, just like we do at home. So we can make, for example, spaghetti and sauce at any given time.

Definitely Spaghetti Sauce. Don't forget the Bisquick too. Stuff is good for more than just biscuits and pancakes. Makes good batter for frying fish, chicken, zucchini,
etc.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:36 PM   #38

Our deal when buying the camper involved DH grilling every night except the last (& I premake a load of sides like mac or potato salads, cut up veggies & dip, beans & greens). He usually makes enough so that we have leftovers for brunch on site and leftovers get thrown together on the last night (or eaten at home if too much made). We have a plan & I always make a list of everything in frig/freezer/cabinet for that trip that gets checked off as we load up.
Did you know Costco only sells a 3.5 pound package of brats right now ??? They are too good and just had to bring that whole package....
Past week's trip brought along all the fixings for a fresh fish fry & dang it if it was a bad catching week ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06148_edited-1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	205240  

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:47 PM   #39

Dinner:

Whatever looks good on the Walmart shelves...........

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:13 PM   #40

When I was young(mid 90’s) we used to go 4-wheeler riding as couples. One of the girls always planned on where/what we would eat....almost every meal and on a time schedule. We would laugh and say we ain’t on a camp out....we are on an eat out. It was funny then.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote