Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #1

Food Storage

Does anyone out there use freeze-dried or dehydrated foods as the norm? Any if so do you have recipes to share? I've been thinking of using both for weight issues. Thanks.
Just Call Me Bobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #2

Have never used freeze dried or dehydrated. We will sometimes pre-cook something and put it in a vacuum sealed bag and freeze for use when camping. I'm sure it tastes better and I don't think you will give up that much in the way of weight.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #3

We also have never used freeze dried foods while camping in the RV. We use the freezer storage bags and the freezer in the RV. Since we are seasonal campers the weight is not an issue. Space in the freezer is another story. LOL
Bob and Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Teresa View Post
We also have never used freeze dried foods while camping in the RV. We use the freezer storage bags and the freezer in the RV. Since we are seasonal campers the weight is not an issue. Space in the freezer is another story. LOL

I agree about the space in the freezer issue

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #5

I am a converted backpacker to RV'r, not because of desire, but age. Damn getting older is fun.

I am convinced there is no such thing as tasteful freeze dried food. What I have found is if you do some smart shopping at the market you can find things like Kraft macaroni and Hamburger Helper. Make up some beef jerky at home and you can build excellant meals.

Big Bird
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I have been trying to keep from saying anything, but can't help it. If you eat 1 pound of food per day, times 2 people, times 14 days, equals 28 pounds. If you are so close on weight that 28~30 pounds bothers you, you need a different tow vehicle or camper. Even double or more to 100 pounds, and if that much weight bothers you, then you need to change vehicles. Usually only backpackers worry about freeze dried, not so much as weight but for size. That's my two cents, your mileage may vary.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:38 AM   #7

The food storage is a good thing for camping and we can store and freeze food for so long by putting it in some airtight vacuum bag. The beef can be frozen by cooking it and then freeze it for camping.
Kathy Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #8

The excalibur food dehydrator website has quite a few videos not only showing how to dehydrate food but also giving lots of recipies on their use. In addition to veggies and fruit they also have recipies for things like quick breads, meats and crackers, rice, and beans. Some of the techniques involve precooking or at least blanching first which also saves cooking time on the other end.

Freeze dried products are typically 10 x more expensive than dehydrated and home dehydrated is probably that much again less than store bought.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #9

I've been thinking about this for a bit...

I've been wanting to do some experimenting with this for some time now. Dehydrated foods are costly and not always very good. Maybe they just plain don't know how to cook. Here are a few links for dehydrated and freeze dried ingredients I've been thinking of buying from:

freeze dried fruit,dried vegetables,dehydrated vegetables,tvp

General Grocery :: Packit Gourmet

Allrecipes - Recipe Search

I was thinking about putting together various soups, stews and chili's for quick, light weight meals. If you make bean soups and such, the dehydrated beans have a huge advantage over the regular dry beans. They have already been cooked and will rehydrate in about 15 minutes or less.

If I get around to doing some cooking with dehydrated foods, I'll post any recipes that don't gag me!
Doc Simonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #10

Another company you could investigate is called "Just Tomatoes". They offer some dehydrated but mostly freeze dried fruits and vegetables. What's nifty about the veggies is that you can eat them out of hand - like a snack (something that you can't do with dehydrated) and kids like them.

I agree that weight is probably not the factor for freeze dried / dehydrated foods, but shelf life (vs fresh) might be. I brought along home canned fruits and veggies on our trips this summer which are quite delicious but there is always that worry about the mason jars breaking and then afterwards of course you've got an empty jar. There is an ease of use factor as well. If you open a can of corn you have to use the whole thing if not immediately, then fairly quickly. If you have a container of freezedried or dehydrated corn you use what you need and the rest remains useable for the next year.

Nope hamburger helper and that ilk are not at all appealing to us. We avoid foodsd laced with preservatives, artificial colors and artificial flavors. It's simply not that much more difficult to cook without them and absolutely the flavor is better.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote