Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2022, 07:11 AM   #1

Getting creative: How to cook like normal in small RV kitchens

When we first decided to go full-time I thought, “Oh boy, how do I cook in a smaller kitchen with smaller appliances?” I love to cook and I thought, “Well, I have my small kitchen appliances that I know I can make work.” So I did!

First, let me say that this is not an advertisement, it is just what I have found handy in my RV kitchen. I use my*NuWave Oven*several times a week and my Air Fryer about the same. My electric griddle has become a very handy piece of equipment. My NuWave has an extender ring that allows me to cook a pretty good size turkey and ham, plus I can grill burgers and such when I do not want to cook outside.

Then the big thing is baking. RV gas ovens are not always the best for even simple tasks. So I purchased my*NuWave Bravo XL Air Fryer Oven. I can bake, broil, toast, and yes, AIR FRY in it!

I have found we can adapt if we just think about what we want to do. As for my griddle, I find I can cook the normal things like pancakes and such but also can grill veggies, sauté shrimp and more.

If you love entertaining and cooking, there are ways to do it in the RV that don’t always mean firing up the grill or smoker. I always have felt that cooking was a way to express my love to the ones I was cooking for. Do not let the smaller kitchen deter you. Think smart and you can find ways to still enjoy cooking those meals. Have fun with what you love doing.
poorbabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:33 AM   #2

I bought an air fryer for home a couple of months ago. It wasn't a consideration at the time that it might be useful for camping, but it is now after finding how useful it is. My smallish camper has no conventional oven, just a microwave and propane stove. The air fryer likely will accompany me on future trips.
2006 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (the reason for the toy hauler)
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:16 AM   #3

We cook outside 99% of the time. We use a Coleman road trip which can be converted from a grill to a griddle and then to a two burner stove top. This makes it easier to make normal stove top meals while outdoors. Plus it helps keep the cooking smells and mess out of the RV.

The oven is used for bread / cake storage unless making a frozen pizza.

I have been thinking of taking a small crock pot for pulled pork or short ribs.

Since we don’t RV full time we don’t have a need to make a full Turkey or large ham. Plus most of the time it’s just the two of us.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:28 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

You can't get much smaller than my RV kitchen. But I've used the oven to do tons of stuff, including a big ham when I had friends over my camp! Big thumbs up on an air fryer, I have 2 at home (Bella, cheap BJ's brand) and we bring the smaller one. Also bring a smaller Instant Pot sometimes, but even find that a waste of weight/space, as like Homebrew, we cook outside most of time. I don't like cooking smells in camper, and when it's cold, you are limited with ventilation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-05-17 at 1.30.49 PM (1).jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	268038  
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote