Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #1

Healthy Cooking/Camping

Anyone out there have any good ideas for eating healthy while camping? We are trying to eat better and hit the gym this year, and know that when your camping, the food is a big part of it. We have tried the turkey bacon, and now trying the turkey hamburgers and brats.
Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cook on the grill, or the fire. Amazing how much healthier that is over frying. We even grill country ham and bacon, but watch for flare ups with the bacon. Eat more fish. Grilled Salmon, Grouper, even flounder. Just lightly apply some olive oil and place on grill, maybe 3~5 minutes per side, doesn't take long. Good Luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We do quite a few boneless chicken breasts. Usually when they are on sale we stock up. I'll filet them in half, sprinkle with a little garlic powder, lemon pepper and then grille. You can add barbeque sauce if you wish or just eat as is. I like to slice them and place in a wrap with lettuce, tomato and a little low-calorie ranch dressing. Man! Now I'm hungry!!!

I also marinate them occassionally in a zip lock bag with low calorie itallian dressing. Same thing with fish once in a while.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #4

Big Dawg,
We have been doing the "Healthier" eating for a while now. When we go camping, we just take the same foods we eat everyday. We might have one "special" meal, but otherwise, food is business as usual. (Not even snacks come with us!)

Oh yeah, and like Windrider said, grilling is the way to go!

John
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalik282 View Post
Big Dawg,
We have been doing the "Healthier" eating for a while now. When we go camping, we just take the same foods we eat everyday. We might have one "special" meal, but otherwise, food is business as usual. (Not even snacks come with us!)

Oh yeah, and like Windrider said, grilling is the way to go!

John
same here - been eating better for over a year now and have lost lots of pounds. we also do one special meal.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #6

If you camp near the coasts, then find a good local fish market or better yet catch your own and enjoy the day doing it. We grill nearly eveything either over the fire or with the gas grill on the TT. Turkey is leaner than ground chuck, but it actually has a tad more cholesterol than beef. You may want to consider getting 93% lean ground beef for burgers and or bison ...I have had it and it is flavorful.

We tend to snack on nuts by the fire like peanuts, walnuts (great omega 3s) and the most wonderful psistacio versus chips and stuff like that.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #7

I have read all of the comments and agree with all..healthy is good. We do the boneless chicken breast as well..even BBQ them for the furkids.....BUT "I am camping" and not at work so for me, a little splurging is in order..hehe. And never miss cocktail hour while camping You know some whiskey is made of corn and that is a vegetable..now thats healthy.

Happy Adventures to you and yours,
Barney
barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Don't forget to continue your workout schedule. The best thing for your body is consistency so keep it going while camping.

You won't have your gym, so focus on something aerobic (swimming, biking, running, hiking).

Sorry to say that the current 30 minutes a day our government recommends is not enough so the morning coffee walk doesn't really count. One hour is great if you can work up to it.
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #9

We have been going to the gym and eating better since the start of January. I have lost 28 lbs, and the wife 10 lbs. We plan on eating better on our trips this summer, and will get in lots of vegies, and use turkey for our burgers, brats, hot dogs, and even the bacon. (I think it taste more like jerkey than bacon)
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
Wanna Be Camper

We eat the same when camping as at home, mostly chicken with some fish. 4 Oz of lean red meat a week and bacon once a week. Any bread we consume is 12 grain and pasta is whole wheat. We walk for at least an hour a day when we are camping.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #11

for me, the key is walking.
watch the calorie content of the turkey prepaired foods. some of them actually have greater fat content than their counter part.
also watch when fat is removed that salt isn't increased. my sister-in-law pointed this out to me when i ask why she didn't just buy the low fat prepared food in the can or frozen rather than making her own.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #12

we find it easy to eat healthier on camping trips because we are not in the grind of life. Meals are a bigger deal. it is a process and a lot of the fun of camping
chefth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #13

A favorite grill recipe of ours is to split a chicken breast, grill one side, when you flip it over, add a slice of cooked turkey bacon, a slice of apple and top with a little swiss cheese.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote