Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2018, 12:20 PM   #1

Sous Vide method of cooking

Frankly I'd never heard of it until recently. Started reading up on it and since I'm cooking for one now it certainly offers some benefits. I already vacuum package much of my meat after shopping and do likewise with many leftovers.

I'd been cooking after thawing with ordinary methods and in the case of leftovers just putting the vacuum sealed bag in a pot of simmering water.

I recently bough an immersion heater that controls the water bath temperature far better than a typical range burner.

Now I can buy a cheaper cut of steak (like chuck), vacuum seal, put in water bath at 130-135 degrees and let it "cook" for 24 hours just like in a crock pot but without it turning to mush. After it's cooked to a medium rare state, remove and sear in a cast iron pan or on the grill for a couple minutes. Turn every 15-20 seconds until it's as black as you want it, without over cooking the center.

Cooking at the lower temp's for longer periods of time break down the connective tissue in the meat that makes it tough.

The nice thing about doing a steak this way is that you can add your special flavorings when you vacuum seal it and the flavors will be infused in the meat while cooking. Possibilities are endless.

The heater does draw a significant amount of energy so this is cooking method that doesn't lend itself well to boondocking but for those who anchor in campgrounds with full hookups it's a nice way to cook without heating up the RV or having to attend to it all the time.

Only thing one has to be careful of is making sure to use BPA free plastic for vacuum sealing bags or any re-usable zip lock bag. "Foodsaver" bags are suitable for this type of cooking.

Who else uses this and do you have any favorite recipes to share?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:03 PM   #2

Thermal slow cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Frankly I'd never heard of it until recently. Started reading up on it and since I'm cooking for one now it certainly offers some benefits. I already vacuum package much of my meat after shopping and do likewise with many leftovers.

I'd been cooking after thawing with ordinary methods and in the case of leftovers just putting the vacuum sealed bag in a pot of simmering water.

I recently bough an immersion heater that controls the water bath temperature far better than a typical range burner.

Now I can buy a cheaper cut of steak (like chuck), vacuum seal, put in water bath at 130-135 degrees and let it "cook" for 24 hours just like in a crock pot but without it turning to mush. After it's cooked to a medium rare state, remove and sear in a cast iron pan or on the grill for a couple minutes. Turn every 15-20 seconds until it's as black as you want it, without over cooking the center.

Cooking at the lower temp's for longer periods of time break down the connective tissue in the meat that makes it tough.

The nice thing about doing a steak this way is that you can add your special flavorings when you vacuum seal it and the flavors will be infused in the meat while cooking. Possibilities are endless.

The heater does draw a significant amount of energy so this is cooking method that doesn't lend itself well to boondocking but for those who anchor in campgrounds with full hookups it's a nice way to cook without heating up the RV or having to attend to it all the time.

Only thing one has to be careful of is making sure to use BPA free plastic for vacuum sealing bags or any re-usable zip lock bag. "Foodsaver" bags are suitable for this type of cooking.

Who else uses this and do you have any favorite recipes to share?
For the motorhome we bought a Tayama TXM-E60CF Thermal Cooker and Food Warmer in One. It has a 3.3 amp 12v cigarette lighter plug to keep the pot at 160-170 F. For six hours or less you do not need the 12v plug.

My wife has been cooking with it at home so that she will know how to use it on the road. It is a thermal cooker like your Sous Vide except the boiling water is placed inside a sealed insulated container to cook the food. Like pouring hot coffee into a thermos, the food stays hot and continues to cook for hours.

The hardest part is the pot is sealed for six to eight hours before you open it. You can not open the lid to check to see if it is done. You have to wait. But the aroma, when it is opened, is amazing. My wife is going to use it to cook a pork roast tomorrow.

You mentioned plastic bags, one blogger mentioned using the bag from a box of cereal in the thermal cooker. Just leave the open end of the bag hang outside of the inner pot. That is what my wife will use to put the pork roast in tomorrow. Last time, I used a meat thermometer to check the pork roast, after six hours without the 12v plug, the meat temperature was over 150F. (We were using it inside the house without a source of 12v DC.)

Read: What Is A Thermal Cooker and Why It Is A Must-Have
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is online now   Reply With Quote