Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 04:31 AM   #1
Site Team

Spiral cut hot dogs

Being a self made hot dog connoisseur, I am always on the search for different ways to make them. I also end up grilling several times a year for some large groups, like this last weekend where we grilled 80 hot dogs.

I had seen this youtube video below, and thought it was interesting, according to all the benefits they proclaimed, so I wanted to give it a try.

I tried to use the skewer and knife technique as in the video, but without much success, so I went to the internet trying to find a better device.

I found a few on Amazon, but with low ratings. I then found this brand new product from fox run brands, that worked like a charm. Once I got the hang of it, I could spiral cut a dog in seconds. Since this is a new product, I haven't found many retailers of it, as fox run brands is a wholesaler.....and I ended up buying a bunch of them, since I have a wholesaler license. I sold my extras (had to buy 25 of them) at the event this weekend, as everyone wanted one. I'm sure though, you will be able to find them individually, given a little time, as the product hits the market.

Hot Dog Spiral Cutter | Fox Run Brands

Anyhow, the dogs did turn out as the youtube video proclaimed. My initial thought was, the dog may dry out since it was cut, but this was not the case. They were very juicy, maybe even more so. I was using Ball Park all beef franks from Sam's Club.

They also cooked up a lot faster on the grill, as the heat gets into the crevices. Me and my friend had a great system going this past weekend, and he was grilling them as I was spiral cutting them. You just have to roll the dog a few times on the grill and they are done. As they plump up, they also expand/lengthen, opening the crevices up wider, as you see in the pics/video. They turned out just like the pics and video show.

Everybody seemed to like them, and it was the conversation piece.

Just sharing this with my friends here, if you want to give it a try.

I am kicking myself for not taking pics of our effort this past weekend, but forgot to do it. There were 100 people at this event and I have put out a call to see if someone smarter than me has some pics. If I get them, I'll update this post.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:46 AM   #2

I like it! I'm going to try this out for my girls this weekend! Thanks WM!!

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:08 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Suppose this works for brat's to?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:16 AM   #4

I found the cutter here but I'm sure there must be more places that sell it.
https://well.ca/products/outset-spir...FSsSMwodjxgA6A

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Suppose this works for brat's to?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
I would "suppose" it would, Turbs. When I was doing a search for a spiral cutter, I had found this one, which stated it cuts brats.....so to answer your question, it appears they are spiral cutting brats.

However, this company is out of business, and I couldn't find any of their old products, even on ebay. It appears the new one I did find from fox run is very similar, but not offered in all the same sizes as the Wynders.

Here's another youtube video on spiral cutting sausages using a skewer:

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

In the video, the hot dogs were violated with ketchup !!!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
Site Team

Here is a youtube video on the spiral cutter I did get. If you notice, they are using it on top of a towel. I recommend this, as it gives you "grip" when you are slicing the dog, and makes the coiled tube roll.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
In the video, the hot dogs were violated with ketchup !!!
I noticed that too, Chap.

Honestly, I eat ketchup on just about everything, but not a hot dog or corn dog........ as these are mustard only foods.

Funny thing, I store my big grills here at the shop. My guys walked in awhile ago and saw what I was doing and asked if we could grill some dogs up here for lunch. Maybe I need to start locking my office door.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1408543248.413773.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	708.5 KB
ID:	60991

I have had this debate with my wife, who uses ketchup. She saw this sign when visiting Chicago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ontario_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontario_camper View Post
Attachment 60991

I have had this debate with my wife, who uses ketchup. She saw this sign when visiting Chicago.
ROFL

The National Hot Dog & Sausage Council states that it's a breach of proper etiquette to put ketchup on a dog after the age of 18.

http://www.hot-dog.org/sites/all/the...e-Brochure.pdf

Even Dirty Harry is against it:

WARNING: The S word

Old 01-26-2016, 10:28 PM   #11
Site Team

As I am always seeking out new and improved hot dog recipes, I ran across this one today that I just had to try out... as a test for this upcoming Mardis Gras parade tailgate event I will be hosting Saturday.

I spiraled cut a few dogs this evening and tried them out in the soft tortillo Old El Paso taco boats. It's definitely different but it held all the fixings easily. I may have actually placed too many extras in the boat, especially the pickle relish as it seemed to overpower everything else.

Anyhow, passing along the information for those who may want to give it a try. It was actually a lot easier dealing with the taco boats, as they easily heated on the grill, and you didn't have to try and open up bread buns to warm/toast them on the grill (which many buns have a habit of breaking in two).

I'll try to remember and take some pics this weekend and let everyone know if they fly or flop with the gang.

The link (and pic) below is just to show you some ideas. I actually grilled the dogs and heated the taco boats on the grill too. Did not try chili, but plan to this weekend.

Chicago Style Stand 'N Stuff™ Hot Dog Tacos recipe from Betty Crocker

Old 02-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #12

Great Idea I'll be trying it out
Old 02-17-2016, 12:55 PM   #13
Site Team

I have to admit that even though I live in Illinois and only about 90 miles from Chicago, I've never understood the whole "no ketchup on hot dogs" rule.

It's beef on a bun. Nobody complains when you put ketchup on a hamburger. What's the difference?
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:48 PM   #14

My dad always called hot dogs 'tube steaks' .
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I have to agree. Our "Red Hots" made by Schneiders only taste good with Mustard! Same goes for Sausage! They even make special mustard for Oktoberfest for Sausage!! Now what is for dinner....
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:06 PM   #16

Hot dogs just don't taste as good as they used to. My wife bought them a while back ~~ good ones but does not recall the brand. Nothing like a good hot dog (no ketchup) but all seem to be very greasy. Going to order the cutter and maybe that will help...
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:14 PM   #17

Nathan's or Hebrew National.

I like the dinner size from Nathan's.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:36 PM   #18

Around here its Hofmanns - either franks (red) or coneys (white). Best spot to partake is at Heid's in Liverpool (once featured on "Man vs. Food").
Been going there my entire life and for most of those years ketchup was not on the premises.
www.heidsofliverpool.com
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:00 PM   #19
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I have to admit that even though I live in Illinois and only about 90 miles from Chicago, I've never understood the whole "no ketchup on hot dogs" rule.

It's beef on a bun. Nobody complains when you put ketchup on a hamburger. What's the difference?
It's a geographic thing. About the same as the deep crust pizza versus thin crust battle between New York and Chicago.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:27 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou

On sale right now for $3.33 (comes with both dog and sausage cutters) with free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/CozyCorner-Spi...=hotdog+spiral
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote