Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbate View Post
Should add most cooking will be on the outside burners. I thought about getting new for the house but can't justify it since they are still in awesome shape. Just realized we got those for our wedding which makes them 10 years old now. Tell me more about the induction burner.
We found ours at Walmart, couldn't resist the price ($78.00? cdn.). Here is a link to their website NuWave PIC - Precision Induction Cooktop - Seen on TV | NuWavePIC.com
Read all the reviews you can find on the web, some buyers seem to have had issues with high shipping charges.
What makes this induction cooktop so special is the very accurate temperature control in 10 deg. increments between 140 deg. F and 450 deg. F and it brings water to a boil almost as fast as our 17000 btu nat. gas burner. In contrast to an electric cooktop which heats up and then turns off when the temp. has been reached the induction cooktop applies just the right amount of power to bring it up to the desired temperature and keeps it there without constantly cycling on and off.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #22

We try to cook outside if we can. If it's windy we have trouble keeping propane burners lit. The electric induction cooktop solves that. When we do use it indoors it is cold to the touch but heats up the food. Magnetic pans work best but you can buy a disk (looks like a diffuser) that will allow you to use other pans although it does slow the cooking time. The Burton 6200 is a good alternative to the NuWave.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #23
Site Team - Lou

We do not "campfire" cook so this is for the Propane gas cooking crowd.

We use the "Green" ceramic pans (there are other color ceramic coated pans) for cooking in the camper and on the grill. Cleanup is done with a paper towel. One swipe with soapy wash cloth and clean water rinse; done.

Only carry two; the small one and the large one (with two handles).
We have not needed anything else except a medium size stainless steel sauce pan for soups and sauces and a stainless steel stock pot for "family sized" pasta dinners.

I do not like aluminum due to the transference of aluminum to your diet (cumulatively poisonous). Would use cast iron (beneficial transference of Iron to your diet) but too heavy for the way we cook on the road. Cast Iron uses a lot of water and effort for cleanup.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by meck51 View Post
I thought ahead. Bought my wife a new set of stainless pots and pans for the house for her birthday and retired our old stuff to the trailer. Got new utensils as well. I have way more than I would ever bring in the trailer but I keep the extras in a bin in the attic until I feel the need to trash one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Quote:
Should add most cooking will be on the outside burners. I thought about getting new for the house but can't justify it since they are still in awesome shape. Just realized we got those for our wedding which makes them 10 years old now. Tell me more about the induction burner.
We sort of did both. At our wedding, we had received 2 sets of pots and pans, both Lagostina as per our registry. I guess one group bought from the place we registered, and the other somewhere else. Anyways, since we had had 2 sets, we only ever opened one and put the rest in storage until the first set died.

5 years later, when we bought the TT, instead of buying pans, we just retired the ones from the house, despite them still being in excellent condition, and opened the 'new' set we had in storage to use in the house.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
Might want to consider "induction ready" pans as you may want to get an induction burner like the NuWave that doesn't give off all that heat to the inside of your trailer.
We have the NuWave pots and pan set with 2 induction cook tops, the cook tops are great but the pots and pans are touchy. If you use them be sure to use plastic only.
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #26

I say the Nuwave and a elec skillet.I like the Cast iron but it to much maintenance and there heavy I have a set but don't use them
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #27

Nuwave X3
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #28
Site Team

I like the idea of moving the old ones into the RV and getting new for the house.

I don't cook much so I went with a heavy set of stainless pots & pans from Wal-Mart on clearance. At first I wasn't sure about the glass lids and had concerns about food sticking but I haven't had any problems. I also have two non-stick flying pans (8" and a deep 10").

Some people can justify buying the good stuff and I would too if I were doing some real cooking.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #29

I really like the circulon hard anodized stuff if you're not into cast iron. It's kind of a go between the really heavy anodized stuff costco used to sell and cast iron. Really good even heat from the little baby burners in the rig and they do really well over the campfire as well. Easy clean up, low maintenance and don't really weigh all that much.

Still... if you want a decent skillet steak or fish.. gotta have that cast iron!
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:05 AM   #30

I love stainless. So I have a set of Emirel Lagosse's tri-clad, made by All-Clad, at home, and a tri-clad set of Tramontina that I have here in Japan. The set that I have here in Japan will go in the camper next month when I move back. I also have the Nu-wave induction burners and love them. But as another poster posted, I was. Bit POed when I found out that I was charged a second shipping fee because I upgraded to the "Pro" model. I also have a Campchef propane stove for outdoors.

Days camped 2014 - 0, 2015 - 24
IlliniJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #31

Like most, we've accumulated the various assortment of orphan pots and pans over the years.

When we're ready to replace an entire set, I would buy the same quality that I would buy for my house. It would likely be stainless steel. Although, I like cast iron.....too heavy.

A good set will last a lifetime.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #32

Thanks everyone. I saw Costco sells a set of calphalon anodized like I already use for a reasonable price. I will probably go with them.
sharkbate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #33
Norma in Maryland

I have Melamine dinnerware, a 10 qt cast iron Dutch oven with the feet whose lid is also a frying pan for outdoor cooking. Nuwave burner and Magma induction cookware. Small cast iron frying pan works for everything but microwave. A couple of pieces of tinware including a broiler pan that fit the gas oven. Cheap silverware knives from wallyworld. Some collapsable silicone collanders, salad spinner and bowls. Silicone and steel cooking utensils. Also compact 5 qt crockpot.

Cast iron is only rinsed off if it's properly seasoned so not hard to clean. A Doby pad and water is all I've ever used on the cast iron. Magma cookware is nesting type so whole set 1 cubic foot in space removable handles and most pots in the set are multipurpose. Have a french press unbreakable type and single coffeemaker that makes single cup at a time for coffee/tea. Have plastic tumblers and a few plastic wine glasses. Mixing bowls melamine nested type. I save to go containers from carryout to reuse for leftovers and heat things in the microwave. This covers us cooking over campfire, Nuwave (especially under the awning when pouring outside), gas stove/grill and microwave.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #34

Everyone should at least have 1 good 10" cast iron skillet for special occasions. It's takes years getting them flavored up just right. LOL Clean up's a cinch. Invert it over the fire for a few minutes then wipe clean with a lightly oiled paper towel. Easy peasy.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #35

Induction ready all the way. We use it indoors and out. Picked up the cookware at IKEA, which has a great selection on induction pots, as it's very common in Europe.
My DH was surprised at how awesome the induction plate is, we rarely use the gas stovetop.
Garren
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I saw Costco sells a set of calphalon anodized like I already use for a reasonable price. I will probably go with them.
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Sounds like a good plan to me.
I almost feel like I should have a skirt on But that Costco/Sam's club anodized pans are well worth it! Stove top to oven to campfire I have no complaints whatsoever. Some folks mentioned about the weight, but it's really just a drop in the bucket. You don't have to carry the entire set. I think the main thing is to consider what you WILL use on a daily basis. It's really easy to get in the mind set of, "I MIGHT need this sometime".

Old 08-08-2015, 02:14 PM   #38

I can highly recommend the Magma nesting cookware with the non-stick coating. Love this set; perfect for RVs! Takes up so little space; easy to clean; and useful for almost all your range cooking. I added only a larger pot, frying pan, cooking sheet and pressure cooker. Enjoy all your RV travels!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
emmyoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:24 AM   #39

7 qt cast iron pot with fryer basket, 12" cast iron pan, cast iron grill top, alum pot with basket for corn,clams. tin pans all sizes
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #40

Bought a set of decent ones with metal lids on the cheap from IKEA. Come to think of it... a lot of the camping kitchen stuff came from IKEA
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote